is my psu faulty ?

bushiee

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
Hi All,
I have problem with my psu (or i think i do)
my spec is as follows

ECS k8t890-a mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Tagan i xeye 420 psu
1gb 2x512 elixire ddr ram
Maxtor + 9 120 gb hd
Geforce 6800gt pcie g card
Pioneer 107 dvd rw
Floppy drive
3 fans

Whenever i boot my pc up everything works but no picture on screen. eg The pc boots fine (can be seen on network but monitor stays in sleep mode) so if i resest it all comes on fine and dandy.
Is this to do with the power going to my graphics card because if i put my older 6600gt in the pc it works fine evertime.

When i run Everest it reads that my +12v rail goes as low as 4.58 and as high as 12.29
Is this what is causing the problems at start up ? is my psu faulty or indeed as it had it ?

Any help is most appreciated
Thanx
Bushiee

I think he has this one, courtesy of 3d veolcity review

ratings.jpg

Check out the review I linked to, he mentions a discrpancy between the HW monitor in both the bios and the windows app, so I would grab a meter and test it out like he did. Since you have a single rail you can just measure it at the hdd molex when cold (which should be zero :p ) and watch it as you power it on. Then if you have a power-on voltage issue it should be seen with that test.

I recall reading one user here on the forum used a power strip's on/off switch to power off the pc/monitor and he had similiar issues when cold booting.

bushiee

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
Thanx Doolittle,
I'm gonna ask around at work tomorrow to see if I can get hold of a meter tester and try it the way you said.

I will get back to you and let you know my results.

Regards
Bushiee