Is P5B-Deluxe/WiFi reliable Wifi?

JamesDee

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I'm impressed with this board on paper, my only question is whether the on-board WiFi is as reliable and stable as a regular D-link card?

Is it necessary at all to get a separate Wifi card, or will the Mobo suffice for heavy internet usage?

Thanks in advance gang!

I've never had any problems with the WiFi on either XP or Vista. It gets comparable or better reception than my previous Netgear WG311T card if you want a comparison.

I use the RealTek drivers instead of the Asus supplied ones, however. I've read on the Asus forums that there may be some issues in Vista trying to get it to work as an access point, but I can't comment on that. It might be due to the Asus software fighting with Vista... as I said before, I don't use the Asus software, only the source driver because it connects faster without needing third party software to load.

JamesDee

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Thanks for the speedy reply!

I'll take your experience to heart. I was just humming and hawing over whether it was a useful feature included on the board or not.

Does anyone else have horror stories or triumphant success stories with the mobo wifi they would be willing to relate?

Or with the Mobo in general?!

Supergoal

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I've got that the board. For me the Wifi absolutely sucks....

Just kidding, it works fine. I've been using it for 4 months with no real hiccups.
I can recommend the board with no qualms. It's a good board :D

JamesDee

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
What a shocker that was! good one!! hahah

I'm sold now troops, thanks a bunch, I'm going to put that into the "Seriously Consider" bag as I devise my new 07' machine!!

RichPLS

Champion
I have that board too... Does it have WiFi??? Oh, yeah, just no active connection in my neighborhood... :cry: But it works fine with my DLink Gaming router, and I also hope to use it with the HTPC I am imagining... 8)

adelsmud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
get this board NOW. i got it and i just absolutely adore it. runs sommohtly, cool look and great features. i dont use the wifi though. But its superb anyways.

RichPLS

Champion
This mobo has an external antennae, with about a 3' cord so you can position the antenae for best reception, this beats the heck out of cards that have a stub antenae stickiong out the back of the card.

kwekmiester

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
SO how do you connect two computers with the wifi? I a newb with networking and I'm considering to buy the P5B-MX/Wifi coz cant find any P5B Deluxe/Wifi. I have a always on internet wifi connection and Im planning to replace my board with that P5B-MX/WiFI, and i want to connect my laptop and PC. What are the things that I should buy (like PCI cards or something).

Also can I oveclock with the P5B-MX board even at least a little?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
I suppose that this is a very personal take on the subject...

I just cannot understand why I'd want a wifi connection from a MB that has a perfectly good LAN port.... Its not like I'm going to lug it all around the house, and my wireless router will sit next to my desktop.

OK, I suppose that the argument could be made that an HTPC system will need a wifi connection, but then that will not usually be a desktop set-up, will it? My laptops use wifi, and also wireless rf... They are usually out of range of my wifi router...

So I just don't get it.

kwekmiester

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
Opps sorry looks like I didn't explained it carefully.

I have a internet connection through wifi coz thats the only option I have here in my location, I use a canopy antenna to connect and I plug it to this PC. But my father wants his laptop to share this connection with my PC and I dont want to use cables or lines so I want a wireless network. But my fathers laptop (which is a cheap one) doesnt have a wifi card.

I'm plannig to replace my board with a P5B-MX/WiFI coz they don't offer a P5B-Deluxe/Wifi here. Now my question is:

1)What hardware should I buy to connect my laptop in case that I buy the P5B-MX/WiFi MOBO and replace my old MOBO

2)Is the P5B-MX a good MOBO and can I overclock it even a little

Hoping someone can help me, I'm new into networks