Codename46

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I heard from some of my friends that Windows XP Pro has one license, but you can use it on two computers anc it'll be legit. Is that true?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
You can only run the key on one comp at a time. This does not mean you can install on two and run each one every other day.

One key on one machine until you give that unit up. Then you can use the key again.

riser

Illustrious
You can install once on your Computer and once on your laptop with 1 license.

You can not install on two desktops or two laptops. It gives you the ability to go mobile with your license.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Thanks for the elaboration riser. You are dead right (as virtually always).

I assumed codename46 was talking pc's, in order to try to set one up for the proverbial guy, girl, (or boy) friend.

riser

Illustrious
I guess most of the time. :D (I'm really not that nerdy.)

I work with Microsoft licensing and I'm working on a $40k agreement with them right now. I'm covering all the bases with them and finding out what I can and can't do.

Ropera

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
XP (Home or Pro) Retail, Upgrade you can use it in any machine you want but not in two at the same time.

XP (Home or Pro) OEM is tied to the original machine (although you can change components as long as one original component remains --example: you can change the video card)

Only Office 2003 can be activated in 2 machines one desktop and one laptop at the same time.