Help with new build old Hard Drive

grindking134

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
I don't know what to do Im building a new system and today my MOBO in my old computer(POS DELL) just umm died(to say the least). Theres no point in buying a replacement MOBO and I need to get some stuff off my old hard drive.

Once im done my new build I can just pop my old HD in boot up in XP then back up my stuff on an external HD. Then take it out put in my new HDs and install vista right? Or will I run into some problems?

Sorry this is my first build.

wilcoxon

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
You will run into problems if you try booting your old drive in your new computer. The drivers are likely to be very different.

I'd suggest building your new system, install the new OS, and then just plug the old drive in as a data drive (not the boot drive). You can then get all of your data off (provided your mobo dieing didn't kill the drive).

grindking134

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
I dont think it killed the Drive because it was off at the time. If I plug it in as a Data drive I wount encounter any problems with Vista? If not the only stuff I really need is music but I can just pull that off my Ipod.

wilcoxon

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I dont think it killed the Drive because it was off at the time. If I plug it in as a Data drive I wount encounter any problems with Vista? If not the only stuff I really need is music but I can just pull that off my Ipod.

You shouldn't encounter any problems reading it as a data drive under Vista. I'm fairly sure Vista still uses NTFS and still has support for FAT so it should work just like reading it as a data drive in XP.