.dbx & .wab etc... in xp

hello.

a friend is using Outlook as opposed to O/express...... i suggested
she change.

thing is, i went looking for the .dbx files so she could copy them
for when express is fired up, but there arent any i can see.
same with .wab file.
this is obviously a difference in O/S system between win98 and xp.
i know where all these things are in 98, but where are they in xp?

i gather there is a way i dont know about, so if you guys could
explain to me how xp does these things, i will relay the info on
to her.

ps, what happened to .dbx files in xp?

thanks from froggy

froggy wrote:
> a friend is using Outlook as opposed to O/express...... i
> suggested she change.
>
> thing is, i went looking for the .dbx files so she could copy them
> for when express is fired up, but there arent any i can see.
> same with .wab file.
> this is obviously a difference in O/S system between win98 and xp.
> i know where all these things are in 98, but where are they in xp?
>
> i gather there is a way i dont know about, so if you guys could
> explain to me how xp does these things, i will relay the info on
> to her.
>
> ps, what happened to .dbx files in xp?

If the person is used to Outlook, I would suggest they continue using it -
they will lose functionality if they switch to Outlook Express...

How to Backup Outlook Express Mail, Address Book, Mail & Newsgroup Settings,
Mail Rules, and Blocked Senders List
http://www.pchell.com/support/backupoe.shtml

How to back up and recover Outlook Express data
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670

--
<- Shenan ->

Hi,

A person using Outlook would have their mail in a .pst file, not a .dbx
file. By default, the .dbx file in WinXP would be under:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Local Settings\Application
Data\Identities\{CLSID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

It's not a difference in the OS as much as it is a difference in the mail
program.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote in message
> hello.
>
> a friend is using Outlook as opposed to O/express...... i suggested
> she change.
>
> thing is, i went looking for the .dbx files so she could copy them
> for when express is fired up, but there arent any i can see.
> same with .wab file.
> this is obviously a difference in O/S system between win98 and xp.
> i know where all these things are in 98, but where are they in xp?
>
> i gather there is a way i dont know about, so if you guys could
> explain to me how xp does these things, i will relay the info on
> to her.
>
> ps, what happened to .dbx files in xp?
>
> thanks from froggy

IE tools>options>maintenance>store folder

Frank

"froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote in message
> hello.
>
> a friend is using Outlook as opposed to O/express...... i suggested
> she change.
>
> thing is, i went looking for the .dbx files so she could copy them
> for when express is fired up, but there arent any i can see.
> same with .wab file.
> this is obviously a difference in O/S system between win98 and xp.
> i know where all these things are in 98, but where are they in xp?
>
> i gather there is a way i dont know about, so if you guys could
> explain to me how xp does these things, i will relay the info on
> to her.
>
> ps, what happened to .dbx files in xp?
>
> thanks from froggy

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

inline,

"froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote in message
> hello.
>
> a friend is using Outlook as opposed to O/express...... i suggested
> she change.
bad advice. She'll loose a world of functionality doing that.

> thing is, i went looking for the .dbx files so she could copy them
> for when express is fired up, but there arent any i can see.
> same with .wab file.
> this is obviously a difference in O/S system between win98 and xp.
> i know where all these things are in 98, but where are they in xp?

I strongly suggest you start reading up on XP.
There is tons, tons and then again tons of information available and you are
absolutely right.
These two OSses are NOTHING alike.
Forget about the toy-and-games-OS win98 and get into gear with a more
serious one: XP.
Casually, and nowhere near definite and precise, just to get an idea, it
already starts here:
win98 finds its origin in the MS-DOS-based world (with a GUI on top of it)
XP originated if you will in the Windows NT based world and is therefore
inherently different, in many aspects.

> i gather there is a way i dont know about, so if you guys could
> explain to me how xp does these things, i will relay the info on
> to her.
>
> ps, what happened to .dbx files in xp?
nothing.
they are still used if you are using Outlook Express and they would be
located in the following structure:
C:\Documents and Settings\
<username>\
Local Settings\
Application Data\
Identities\
{some string in the form xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}\
Microsoft\
Outlook Express

However, if you are using Outlook dbx files are of no importance/use because
Outlook uses it's own database, called store, to keep messages and the file
would be called and kept in:
C:\Documents and Settings\
<username>\
Local Settings\
Application Data\
Microsoft\
Outlook\
Outlook.pst

george

PS. How's the modem sharing coming??

> thanks from froggy

perhaps i should word it different.

where are dbx files in xp? do they go by a different name?

the 'person' wishes to have outlook express 6, and in this day
and age i reckon thats a minimum.
security is much better for a start.

anyhow, any info on what a dbx extension is now called in xp, And,
just where are the files kept would be appreciated.

froggy

> perhaps i should word it different.
>
> where are dbx files in xp? do they go by a different name?
>
> the 'person' wishes to have outlook express 6, and in this day
> and age i reckon thats a minimum.
> security is much better for a start.
>
> anyhow, any info on what a dbx extension is now called in xp, And,
> just where are the files kept would be appreciated.
>
> froggy

The DBX files are hidden in OE.
If she has not been using OE then she doesn't have any.
In OE go to Tools | Options | Maintenance and click the Store Folder button.
OE will tell you where they are.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

froggy wrote:
> perhaps i should word it different.
>
> where are dbx files in xp? do they go by a different name?
>
> the 'person' wishes to have outlook express 6, and in this day
> and age i reckon thats a minimum.
> security is much better for a start.
>
> anyhow, any info on what a dbx extension is now called in xp, And,
> just where are the files kept would be appreciated.

Did you GO to the web pages? heh

For example:
http://www.pchell.com/support/backupoe.shtml

Tells you to:
1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2. On the Maintenance tab, click Store Folder.

This tells you where the .dbx files are..

--
<- Shenan ->

froggy

FYI........MS Outlook does not use *.dbx files or a *.wab

Uses *.pst files and mailbox.pab

Found at

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Don't know how OE would read these, but you could export the contents of these
to a *.csv file and import to OE.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 20:35:46 +0930, "froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote:

>perhaps i should word it different.
>
>where are dbx files in xp? do they go by a different name?
>
>the 'person' wishes to have outlook express 6, and in this day
>and age i reckon thats a minimum.
>security is much better for a start.
>
>anyhow, any info on what a dbx extension is now called in xp, And,
>just where are the files kept would be appreciated.
>
>froggy
>"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> froggy wrote:
>> > a friend is using Outlook as opposed to O/express...... i
>> > suggested she change.
>> >
>> > thing is, i went looking for the .dbx files so she could copy them
>> > for when express is fired up, but there arent any i can see.
>> > same with .wab file.
>> > this is obviously a difference in O/S system between win98 and xp.
>> > i know where all these things are in 98, but where are they in xp?
>> >
>> > i gather there is a way i dont know about, so if you guys could
>> > explain to me how xp does these things, i will relay the info on
>> > to her.
>> >
>> > ps, what happened to .dbx files in xp?
>>
>> If the person is used to Outlook, I would suggest they continue using it -
>> they will lose functionality if they switch to Outlook Express...
>>
>> How to Backup Outlook Express Mail, Address Book, Mail & Newsgroup
>Settings,
>> Mail Rules, and Blocked Senders List
>> http://www.pchell.com/support/backupoe.shtml
>>
>> How to back up and recover Outlook Express data
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670
>>
>> --
>> <- Shenan ->
>> --
>> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
>> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
>> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
>> getting into before you jump in with both feet.

Every once in a while I find a PC where the files are not in the standard
location. So when I backup a customers outlook I just right click on the
start button and select search. Then search for *.pst

Just make sure you have show hidden files enabled.

Once you do this all you have to do is read the entire directory string and
you know whos it is. Easy as Pie.

The Woodpile