.dbx & .wab etc... in xp

hello.

a friend is using Outlook as opposed to O/express...... i suggested
she change.

thing is, i went looking for the .dbx files so she could copy them
for when express is fired up, but there arent any i can see.
same with .wab file.
this is obviously a difference in O/S system between win98 and xp.
i know where all these things are in 98, but where are they in xp?

i gather there is a way i dont know about, so if you guys could
explain to me how xp does these things, i will relay the info on
to her.

ps, what happened to .dbx files in xp?

thanks from froggy
9 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    froggy wrote:
    > a friend is using Outlook as opposed to O/express...... i
    > suggested she change.
    >
    > thing is, i went looking for the .dbx files so she could copy them
    > for when express is fired up, but there arent any i can see.
    > same with .wab file.
    > this is obviously a difference in O/S system between win98 and xp.
    > i know where all these things are in 98, but where are they in xp?
    >
    > i gather there is a way i dont know about, so if you guys could
    > explain to me how xp does these things, i will relay the info on
    > to her.
    >
    > ps, what happened to .dbx files in xp?

    If the person is used to Outlook, I would suggest they continue using it -
    they will lose functionality if they switch to Outlook Express...

    How to Backup Outlook Express Mail, Address Book, Mail & Newsgroup Settings,
    Mail Rules, and Blocked Senders List
    http://www.pchell.com/support/backupoe.shtml

    How to back up and recover Outlook Express data
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Hi,

    A person using Outlook would have their mail in a .pst file, not a .dbx
    file. By default, the .dbx file in WinXP would be under:

    C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Local Settings\Application
    Data\Identities\{CLSID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

    It's not a difference in the OS as much as it is a difference in the mail
    program.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote in message
    > hello.
    >
    > a friend is using Outlook as opposed to O/express...... i suggested
    > she change.
    >
    > thing is, i went looking for the .dbx files so she could copy them
    > for when express is fired up, but there arent any i can see.
    > same with .wab file.
    > this is obviously a difference in O/S system between win98 and xp.
    > i know where all these things are in 98, but where are they in xp?
    >
    > i gather there is a way i dont know about, so if you guys could
    > explain to me how xp does these things, i will relay the info on
    > to her.
    >
    > ps, what happened to .dbx files in xp?
    >
    > thanks from froggy

    IE tools>options>maintenance>store folder

    Frank

    "froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote in message
    > hello.
    >
    > a friend is using Outlook as opposed to O/express...... i suggested
    > she change.
    >
    > thing is, i went looking for the .dbx files so she could copy them
    > for when express is fired up, but there arent any i can see.
    > same with .wab file.
    > this is obviously a difference in O/S system between win98 and xp.
    > i know where all these things are in 98, but where are they in xp?
    >
    > i gather there is a way i dont know about, so if you guys could
    > explain to me how xp does these things, i will relay the info on
    > to her.
    >
    > ps, what happened to .dbx files in xp?
    >
    > thanks from froggy

    inline,

    "froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote in message
    > hello.
    >
    > a friend is using Outlook as opposed to O/express...... i suggested
    > she change.
    bad advice. She'll loose a world of functionality doing that.

    > thing is, i went looking for the .dbx files so she could copy them
    > for when express is fired up, but there arent any i can see.
    > same with .wab file.
    > this is obviously a difference in O/S system between win98 and xp.
    > i know where all these things are in 98, but where are they in xp?

    I strongly suggest you start reading up on XP.
    There is tons, tons and then again tons of information available and you are
    absolutely right.
    These two OSses are NOTHING alike.
    Forget about the toy-and-games-OS win98 and get into gear with a more
    serious one: XP.
    Casually, and nowhere near definite and precise, just to get an idea, it
    already starts here:
    win98 finds its origin in the MS-DOS-based world (with a GUI on top of it)
    XP originated if you will in the Windows NT based world and is therefore
    inherently different, in many aspects.

    > i gather there is a way i dont know about, so if you guys could
    > explain to me how xp does these things, i will relay the info on
    > to her.
    >
    > ps, what happened to .dbx files in xp?
    nothing.
    they are still used if you are using Outlook Express and they would be
    located in the following structure:
    C:\Documents and Settings\
    <username>\
    Local Settings\
    Application Data\
    Identities\
    {some string in the form xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}\
    Microsoft\
    Outlook Express

    However, if you are using Outlook dbx files are of no importance/use because
    Outlook uses it's own database, called store, to keep messages and the file
    would be called and kept in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\
    <username>\
    Local Settings\
    Application Data\
    Microsoft\
    Outlook\
    Outlook.pst

    george

    PS. How's the modem sharing coming??

    > thanks from froggy

    perhaps i should word it different.

    where are dbx files in xp? do they go by a different name?

    the 'person' wishes to have outlook express 6, and in this day
    and age i reckon thats a minimum.
    security is much better for a start.

    anyhow, any info on what a dbx extension is now called in xp, And,
    just where are the files kept would be appreciated.

    froggy

    > perhaps i should word it different.
    >
    > where are dbx files in xp? do they go by a different name?
    >
    > the 'person' wishes to have outlook express 6, and in this day
    > and age i reckon thats a minimum.
    > security is much better for a start.
    >
    > anyhow, any info on what a dbx extension is now called in xp, And,
    > just where are the files kept would be appreciated.
    >
    > froggy

    The DBX files are hidden in OE.
    If she has not been using OE then she doesn't have any.
    In OE go to Tools | Options | Maintenance and click the Store Folder button.
    OE will tell you where they are.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    froggy wrote:
    > perhaps i should word it different.
    >
    > where are dbx files in xp? do they go by a different name?
    >
    > the 'person' wishes to have outlook express 6, and in this day
    > and age i reckon thats a minimum.
    > security is much better for a start.
    >
    > anyhow, any info on what a dbx extension is now called in xp, And,
    > just where are the files kept would be appreciated.

    Did you GO to the web pages? heh

    For example:
    http://www.pchell.com/support/backupoe.shtml

    Tells you to:
    1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
    2. On the Maintenance tab, click Store Folder.

    This tells you where the .dbx files are..

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    froggy

    FYI........MS Outlook does not use *.dbx files or a *.wab

    Uses *.pst files and mailbox.pab

    Found at

    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Outlook

    Don't know how OE would read these, but you could export the contents of these
    to a *.csv file and import to OE.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

    On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 20:35:46 +0930, "froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote:

    >perhaps i should word it different.
    >
    >where are dbx files in xp? do they go by a different name?
    >
    >the 'person' wishes to have outlook express 6, and in this day
    >and age i reckon thats a minimum.
    >security is much better for a start.
    >
    >anyhow, any info on what a dbx extension is now called in xp, And,
    >just where are the files kept would be appreciated.
    >
    >froggy
    >"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> froggy wrote:
    >> > a friend is using Outlook as opposed to O/express...... i
    >> > suggested she change.
    >> >
    >> > thing is, i went looking for the .dbx files so she could copy them
    >> > for when express is fired up, but there arent any i can see.
    >> > same with .wab file.
    >> > this is obviously a difference in O/S system between win98 and xp.
    >> > i know where all these things are in 98, but where are they in xp?
    >> >
    >> > i gather there is a way i dont know about, so if you guys could
    >> > explain to me how xp does these things, i will relay the info on
    >> > to her.
    >> >
    >> > ps, what happened to .dbx files in xp?
    >>
    >> If the person is used to Outlook, I would suggest they continue using it -
    >> they will lose functionality if they switch to Outlook Express...
    >>
    >> How to Backup Outlook Express Mail, Address Book, Mail & Newsgroup
    >Settings,
    >> Mail Rules, and Blocked Senders List
    >> http://www.pchell.com/support/backupoe.shtml
    >>
    >> How to back up and recover Outlook Express data
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670
    >>
    >> --
    >> <- Shenan ->
    >> --
    >> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
    >> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
    >> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
    >> getting into before you jump in with both feet.

    Every once in a while I find a PC where the files are not in the standard
    location. So when I backup a customers outlook I just right click on the
    start button and select search. Then search for *.pst

    Just make sure you have show hidden files enabled.

    Once you do this all you have to do is read the entire directory string and
    you know whos it is. Easy as Pie.

    The Woodpile

    "froggy" wrote:

    > hello.
    >
    > a friend is using Outlook as opposed to O/express...... i suggested
    > she change.
    >
    > thing is, i went looking for the .dbx files so she could copy them
    > for when express is fired up, but there arent any i can see.
    > same with .wab file.
    > this is obviously a difference in O/S system between win98 and xp.
    > i know where all these things are in 98, but where are they in xp?
    >
    > i gather there is a way i dont know about, so if you guys could
    > explain to me how xp does these things, i will relay the info on
    > to her.
    >
    > ps, what happened to .dbx files in xp?
    >
    > thanks from froggy

Outlook Microsoft Windows XP