My latest e4300 temperature musings...

TAT and CoreTemp are both reading the same thing, the Model Specific Register (or MSR) that lists the Delta in C° between current core temp and Tjmax. TAT does not tell us what this delta is or what Tjmax it is using to calculate the temperature it displays:

'Core Temp = Tjmax - Delta'

So it gives us 1 value and leave 2 unknowns.

But CoreTemp gives us more. It tells us everything. It tells us the delta it is measuring (if you configure it to do so). It tells us the Tjmax it is assuming. It tells us the Core Temp it has calculated.

So say my machine under load and TAT says it's at 70. CoreTemp 0.95 will say 70 and CoreTemp 0.94 will say 55. But both will say that the delta read from the chip is 30-deg. This is because they use different Tjmax's (100 and 85). So then we can infer that TAT is also assuming a Tjmax of 100, reading a delta of 30, and calculating the temperaure of 70 for this e4300.

In that case, referring to the temperature guide, it would be excessively conservative to assume a temperature scale that is based on a Tjmax of 85.

Right?

Why are we even concerned with absolute temperatures? Why don't we just look at the delta read straight from the CPU via CoreTemp. Come up with a temperature scale that is based on this delta reading (degrees from Tjmax). That way it is applicable to all CPUs and independant of what the actual Tjmax is.

If the CPU says 'You are 30 degrees from trouble', why can't I belive it?
1 answer Last reply
More about latest e4300 temperature musings
  1. I'd like your opinion Compu, on this question from my post above:

Why are we even concerned with absolute temperatures? Why don't we just look at the "Delta to tjunction" read straight from the CPU via CoreTemp.

The way I see it we have 3 options:

1) The e4300 runs a LOT cooler than the e6300 (not likely...especially given te nice 15 degree change)

2) The tjmax of the e4300 is in fact 100 (although maybe that doesn't necessarily mean that 80 is a safe offerating temperature)

3) The register that Core Temp is reading has changed and is no longet the same for the e4300...so that the "Delta to Tjunction" it displays is incorrect.

Opinions?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Temp Temperature Overclocking