silverplate

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I don't know jack about memory. I thought it was simple, but the more I delve, the more freaky it gets. Timings and latencies... too much, at least for now.

I've returned my defective pair of A=DATA 2x 512 back to Newegg, and they gave me a refund. I figure that, seeing as how much of a deal people are making with 2 gigs of memory, I should just buy a pair of 1 gig sticks (dual channel) and be done with it. :?

Knowing that, at least for now, overclocking memory is far beyond my limited brain capacity, and that my system is crazy-bottlenecked as it is by my PD 805@3.6 w/ 7600GT (can't upgrade yet cause of weak PSU...), I am just looking for a pair of 1 gig dual channel value sticks, preferably under 150$. What should I get? You guys would know... what with your timings and latencies...

PS - My Mobo doesn't support anything higher than 667, I think...

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
If you want value ram, like me, ge the Kingston Value Ram mentioned by the guy above me. Its dropped in price a lot, down to $110 8O . Its very good quality and even won a customers choice award on Newegg.

For overclocking, the best deal now is still the Patriot DDR2 800 CL4 2gig for $140 after MIR. This ram is great stuff, supposed to OC a lot.

Some swear b y Corsair though:COrsair XMS 2gig DDR2 800 CL4 for $130 after MIR

or
Corsair MXS 2gig DDr2 800 CL4 for $160 after MIR

If you arent planning on overclocking your memory heavily, I would go with the Kingston value ram. Havent got a bad stick from them yet 8) .

I went to the Biostar site:
#
# CHIPSET NVIDIA® nForce4 Ultra SPP+ nForce 430
# MEMORY Supports Dual Channel DDR2 533/667 MHz

# 4 DDR2 DIMM memory slots ( up to 4GB memory)

This might have been changed with a BIOS update, they do that sometimes. I would just go with the KVR for now though.

Good luck with your ram, bob

silverplate

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I think I'll go with the Kingston... it seems to have received outstanding reviews as good no-frills memory. Thanks jamesgoddard.