XP Home or XP Pro, for a gaming MM PC?

Wapas

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I alway have ran an old version of XP pro. I bought a dell laptop that has XP home. And besides a few tools, I can not tell the difference. I was thinking about buying XP for a PC I am building cause I can not get sp2 with the old version I have. Do you think XP pro makes any difference for Gaming? Or is Home the same thing. Seems like we all used to want pro, but Im not sure why. Thanks for any advice/help. PS Im running 930 intel cpu and intel 975x with crossfire.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
if it is 64 bit get x64 edition but if not go with pro
it gives advantages to gamers

There are no such advantages. :evil:

Except for some networking, security and other issues (and cost) there is no difference between the 2. :)

ahkiet

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
it definitely support but in default it's using fat32 system...by the way...that's the way i have seen in most pc equiped with xp home...lol...please excuse me if i'm wrong...

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
it definitely support but in default it's using fat32 system...by the way...that's the way i have seen in most pc equiped with xp home...lol...please excuse me if i'm wrong...

It’s a choice of the user. I have installed XP home on the comps of a few friends and have always used NTFS. Actually for most users XP home is a much better choice than prof since they don’t need the extra features that they are paying for.

A1e3m

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
go with the xp home....
unless ur doing anything with networking, sharing etc, then go pro...
if its only for games, save urself 50 bucks and buy the home...

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
What I was trying to say is why did you post your answer as an answer to my post.

I you read the thread you will notice that I recomended that the OP goes for home

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Go for the home version. About the only reasons you need Pro (for a home machine) are:

1.) If you plan on learning to program. (Some of the ".NET" languages use some of the XP-Pro extensions.)

2.) You need to connect to a domain. Doesn't apply to your set-up.

3.) Installing on a laptop. XP-Pro has superior power management.

As far as gaming goes, their should be no differnence.