What software to keep pc running fast and smoothly??

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Ok I just did a clean install of XP on this older HP laptop that I got for free and for the time being its the only computer I have acess to. Its quite old a Duron 900mhz 256meg 20gig and slow, but I only need it for basic web browsing and some music and its all i have so it will have to do for now. My question is, what software do you guys/gals reccomend to keep everything running at top performance? I use the following
Etrust Internet Security Suite
Adaware Se
CCleaner
Ashampoo Win Optimizer Platinum

Basically I am happy with the Etrust antivirus and spam programs but thier spyware program stinks so i have been using Adawre SE which is much better. I use Firefox so I dont have that bad of a spyware problem like I did with IE. CCleaner is one of my favorite programs for keeping the computer free from junk, it works very well. So that brings us to the optimizer program, I have been trying to find an optimization program that works well and havent had much luck. I really want something that will keep the computer running at peak performance. I just downloaded this Ashampoo program and I hope it will work for me, do you all have any other ideas for a good program to keep things running at peak performance?? Im trying to get the most out of this old and slow computer. I did alot of searching onnline and found a bunch of tips and tweaks to get every last bit of performance, I have all sounds turned off, no backround on the desktop, Win classic theme, disabled all un-needed services...etc Any ideas??
thanks

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Two things.

1. I would get SpySweeper for the spyware protection, and run it inactive - use as a scanner only. Option it NOT to startup every boot.

2. Get PerfectDisk, and follow their optimization options. I don't know anything about Ashampoo, but I would rather you use PD.

Defragmenting to me, is the single most GOOD thing (protection stuff aside) you can do for your hd and OS. I have all my customers defrag EVERY DAY BEFORE SHUTDOWN. Only takes 2-3 minutes when done regularly. It's a personal protocol as well.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Defragmenting to me, is the single most GOOD thing (protection stuff aside) you can do for your hd and OS. I have all my customers defrag EVERY DAY BEFORE SHUTDOWN. Only takes 2-3 minutes when done regularly. It's a personal protocol as well.

Thanks for saying that, I defrag daily and people think I'm anal ... most say, I defragged this month already ... lmao :p

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Get a decent free AV (Avast or AVG), a free firewall, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, Spy Sweeper (as a scanner - it updates every 2 days or so) and defrag as above. I use more protection, but if you want a bare minimum.

I also use Counter Spy, Ad-Aware SE (scanner only), Hosts file and several custom blocking apps (kill bits).

Note: Your surfing habits will dictate if you should have Spy Sweeper (or similar program) active or not. If you visit "shady" sites - you will pick up a lot of crap, then I recommend you keep your anti-spyware active.

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
I basically am happy with my spyware and virus software that I use, i use Etrust Internet Security Suite + Adaware Se and I use Firefox, spyware doesnt seem to be much of a problem. Im really in terested in the programs that will keep the registry clean and my hard drive defragmented. Are there any free defrag programs that do a better job than the regular Windows Defrag program?? And what do you reccomend to keep the registry clean??

Thanks