Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
This super-high-end 3D graphics accelerator card takes advantage of the latest and most sophisticated 0.13 micron process technology by packing nearly twice the transistors into the same space as the GeForce4 Ti GPU.

lol

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Dude that was one big ass card 8O , it sure tells you that super high end ain't cuttin it any more :lol:

Although it does support 2048x1536 for a great slide show :lol:

chrispyski

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
My favorite is the entry for the MX 440:

"enter the sanctuary of hardcore PC gaming with this devilish piece of hardware."

Time to bust out my old MX440 and give Oblivion a shot!

neocristi

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
"Dearest friends outside The Institution – Though I am held captive and my mind continues to deteriorate, with my remaining genius I have still managed to create Asylum GeForce2 MX 200. And like you, my PC is my sanctuary and refuge from the hostile forces around me. Asylum MX 200 will bring the sane, rational world of accelerated 3D graphics to your personal computer. With 166 MHz of 32MB RAM, 1.3GB memory bandwith per second, and the added features below, you too will find refuge with Asylum GeForce2 MX 200."

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
"Dearest friends outside The Institution – Though I am held captive and my mind continues to deteriorate, with my remaining genius I have still managed to create Asylum GeForce2 MX 200. And like you, my PC is my sanctuary and refuge from the hostile forces around me. Asylum MX 200 will bring the sane, rational world of accelerated 3D graphics to your personal computer. With 166 MHz of 32MB RAM, 1.3GB memory bandwith per second, and the added features below, you too will find refuge with Asylum GeForce2 MX 200."

Famous last word hmm no more like speech :lol: :lol: 32mb of ram haha ROFL

pseudopeon

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
The FX5800... God, I'd forgotten about that dustbuster! :)
Does anyone remember that monster Gigabyte card which had 2x 6800GT GPUS? Beast!

Ninjaz7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
And yes,I still have a machine that uses a mx 440 ....And yes I do own a gainward 5950 ultra...The mx 440 is a 32 mb card which acually plays cs rather well(with 5 meg cable dosent hurt)...So in conclusion don't knock it till you've had to try it(ever have 5 machine down at once 8O ,Its not pretty),hail to the new equipment ....to drive prices down on the old so I can have lots of new old stuff(new to me)at a fraction of the price when brand new realeased...so get out that dinosaur of a gtx7800 and flebay it so I can rok on it for 100 bucks :D ,thanx for you participation and your financial loss....keep em comin :p

Ninjaz7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Ya ,thats it....todays tech tommorrow,you guys are about ignorant.Go ahead,spend that big money,help intel with their bottom line.You were prolly the one that bought a am2 machine(lmao),lose your azz on it???How much did you pay for it 6 months ago?Yup,Ill be the 1 flyin on ur 7900 gtx for pennies while your gotta have tech now attitude will drive you to the poor house...So ya tech tommorrow(6 months even) and you'll see how smart I am an you gophers can go broke or jus throw money to the flames....glad you can afford it,intel,amd,an alot of others are banking on it.Who's the foolish 1 now :lol: (laughing all the way to the bank).

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
First, I am pretty sure that was a light hearted joke,

Second, there are merits to your method, but you have to be careful you don't end up upgrading much more often than you would if you bought top of the line, and in the long run may not save any real money.

In my experience, buying leading edge (NOT bleeding edge), every few years is the best way to maintain good performance for the price.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
It seems that BFG never deletes its old links.

If you go to BFGTech.com, you can see a history of their products all the way back to the GeForce2 MX.

Heres a classic:
http://www.bfgtech.com/5800u_redux.html

Have fun reminiscing :lol:
Loved the link... just shows how marketing guys can put a spin on anything... anyone trying to put a Ti-4200 in a negative light is just wasting time... that card was bad-a$$. Screw the FX line. Shame on you Nvidia.

4745454b

Titan
Indeed. I found is amazing that Nvidia did so well with the ti4 series, then turned out the junk FX series. How can you make cards like the 4200, then follow that with the 5200/5800? It just didn't make sense. Yes ATIs 9700/9800 pro was a good card, but if Nvidia had something other then the FX line, the competition might have heated the race back then instead of now. The closest misstep that ATI has made recently (other then the issues with R600...) is the x8xx line of cards. They weren't even bad, just behind a SM.

I actually consider that smart btw. Nvidia released the FX line, and although it was DX9, it could hardly run that code. Nvidia released it anyways. I don't know if ATI could have made the x8xx series SM3 or not, but I'm glad they didn't if they could have. Better to have a good card with that limitation, then a bad card that sucks if you try to use the feature...

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Indeed. I found is amazing that Nvidia did so well with the ti4 series, then turned out the junk FX series. How can you make cards like the 4200, then follow that with the 5200/5800? It just didn't make sense. Yes ATIs 9700/9800 pro was a good card, but if Nvidia had something other then the FX line, the competition might have heated the race back then instead of now. The closest misstep that ATI has made recently (other then the issues with R600...) is the x8xx line of cards. They weren't even bad, just behind a SM.

I actually consider that smart btw. Nvidia released the FX line, and although it was DX9, it could hardly run that code. Nvidia released it anyways. I don't know if ATI could have made the x8xx series SM3 or not, but I'm glad they didn't if they could have. Better to have a good card with that limitation, then a bad card that sucks if you try to use the feature...

Interesting thoughts on this... wonder how the 8800 series is going to manage with DX10 content. Everyone knows it's a beast with DX9 (current-gen) content, but who knows with DX10... those Crysis screenshots tell me whatever is running that is going to have be backed up by some killer hardware. Maybe ATI is about to do it again... or maybe they're just behind.

4745454b

Titan
Without DX10 games and better vista drivers, who knows. I'm going to laugh if the 8800/8900 series turns out to be another FX. Nvidia rushed to market so fast that they were first, but with a substandard DX10 card. LOL! (the FX series wasn't even that bad as Nvidia wasn't first to market.)

Even though I'm an AMD/ATI fan, I wouldn't bet that the 8800 will be bad at DX10. It is a nice thought however...

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
LOL. 5 years from will laughing at the G80 and R600 as well. I can't wait for pc components to be more efficient and produce much less heat that it uses passive heatsinks for cooling.