Windows 7 runs slow

tzefer

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Slow boot up (10 min) slow programs. Any thing I try to run is slow slow it stops responding and some times shuts off. Need advice on should I get a new motherboard or what. This is a used computer which I am trying to get running. Win 7 installed after two tries. Boots up slow , when you click on program to start it takes a long time to start. Seems like it can not figure what to do. Tried all diag. in system shows nothing wrong. It was a clean install on a tetra bit drive. Nothing is running except basic programs.
Just need advice on what to do next. It has been a month of trial and lots of errors.
Thanks

tzefer

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011

motherboard: Intel D915pbl
Processer: Intel (R) Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 ghz
Video: Ati Radeon HD2600XT
Memory: 3gig

By everything I have tried and tested on the machine it should run faster.
10 min to boot and all programs (scans, performance tests, problem checks)
run slow very slow and sometimes stop responding. I can not get it to keep running long enough to check updates online. It stops responding when I tried to use Driver check utility on Intels site. Been working on this beast for a month now. I have taken the memory out and replaced all checks fine. It just is a puzzlement to me. But I am just a common user and not a pro and really do not know the best way to test or repair what I am doing.
Tzefer

mibix19

Distinguished
Is it any quicker in safe mode? If so the fault can be narrowed down.from there. It is usually a driver or software problem. so these can be disabled on startup with MSCONFIG and restarted one at a time until the problem reoccurs

Actually, Soluto works great for narrowing down issues with programs causing slow boot times. It will clock each process and show you how much time each one is adding to your bootup. I've already used it on a few systems with good results. Unfortunately it won't check drivers, but lets take this one step at a time...

tzefer

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011

I have run AVG pc analyzer
Tuneup Utilities
Reg Mech.
All win 7 program
I have tried to download Intel driver utilities program but the system slows down and stops responding and I can not get it to load. I have found with these programs I need some updates on my Display driver,network connection. Chipset device driver and some others. But this was I think the Reg Mech. that refers you to a "Join now and for a small fee we will download those drivers." Been burned by that crap before pay and still get nothing. I think if I could get the Intel program to load I could get a update on my drivers from them if I really do need them. If this makes sense let me know any info would help I am stumped.

Thanks all for the help.

Alaskan_IT

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
So, you need to run some hardware diagnostics. Since this is a fresh install of windows and it is having issues booting, I would suspect a defective hard drive. What is the manufacturer of the hard drive? I will link you to the diagnostic download.

Alaskan_IT

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Ok, so it is new. And do you me 'terabyte"? Still, even new out of the box drives can be defective. 7% of all electronics are defective in some way right out of the box.