NTFS access using Kubuntu 5.10?

Pompeii

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Is Kubuntu 5.10 capable of accessing (read AND write) NTFS partitions? I have a 200gb backup drive using the NTFS file system, and I desperately want to get away from this windows crap. I just don't want to loose all my data.

Sorry if this question was asked before, but I need an answer to this question. Thanks for your time.

linux_0

Splendid
Yes it can.

2.4.x and 2.6.x kernels can read (works great and is perfectly safe) and write (still a bit experimental) to NTFS filesystems, however you may have to compile the NTFS module by hand since some distributions do not provide it.

You will need to either create an ext3 partition (backup all your data and resize your NTFS partition with Partition Magic or FIPS to make room for ext3 or backup everything, delete and repartition from scratch) on your existing HDD or add a 2nd HDD.

It is a lot easier to just add a 2nd HDD ($40 - $100 on newegg).

Grub can handle booting from multiple drives without any problems and can also allow you to dual or triple boot (Linux + XP or Linux + BSD + XP or any combination of operating systems thereof).

Message me if you have any other questions :D

[code:1:01026d53d7]

You can run:

locate ntfs # to see if you have the ntfs driver

# or

find / -iname "*ntfs*"

# normally your modules are in /lib/modules/$your_kernel_version/kernel/fs
# you can run uname -a to find out what kernel you are running
# on FC3 for example it would be in /lib/modules/2.6.12-1.1372_FC3/kernel/fs
# FC3 does not provide the ntfs driver by default, kubuntu might - if not I think you can aptget it or something like that

# if you run

mount /dev/hd?? /mnt

# or

mount /dev/sd?? /mnt

# the kernel should autoload the ntfs kernel module if it is available

# you can run:

lsmod # to see what kernel modules are loaded

# you can also:

lsmod | grep -i ntfs

# or

lsmod |less

[/code:1:01026d53d7]

Pompeii

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Thanks for you help. I have 2 hard drives installed on my system (1 80gb and 1 200gb). I currently use the 80gb for the OS, and the 200gb for main storage. So as long as I can read the drive, I'll be fine.

Thanks for you help linux_0, I am a newb to Linux and felt like trying something new. What really made me like Linux though was its nicely organized desktop(KDE more than Gnome). Its a perfect blend of Mac simplicity and Windows versatility.

Shallow, I know, but it makes me like Linux that much more.

Thanks again.