BrianHbr549

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I made a mistake when I moved into a house that doesn’t have high speed Internet. I signed up for netzero to get me through the months that I will not have high speed. I installed their software then their software downloaded some more software that is still locking my computer up on occasion, even after I have uninstalled their software. It doesn't lock it up totally it just doesn't let me run any other programs and it doesn't let me log off (even through CTRL ALT DEL). It also runs a program in called ipconfig.exe that never seems to finish running. What is going on and how can I fix it. I would appreciate any help

Thank you

Brian

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
You've left out a lot of info.

Did you order the cd - version QS8.3?
This is what you should have done, and used that to install.

This sounds like you used an old version built for W98.

I think you should call their tech support.

877 912 5866

It's $1.95 a minute (cheap enough).

You need to be at your comp; have member ID#; and what version you tried to install.

BrianHbr549

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I installed it off of the Internet and it was the software for windows XP. The software ran fine when I first downloaded it, but then when I got online with the software it downloaded "updates" that then installed and messed up my computer. That is when ipconfig.exe started running and not allowing me to run any other programs. I canceled netzero and went with another ISP. I never had this problem with Verizon DSL but I can't get that in my new home.

What I am assuming is that netzero installed spy ware on my computer. From what I can tell ipconfig.exe is used to get past security. What I don't know is why after I uninstalled netzrero, run McAfee Virus Scan and Ad-Aware(and they didn't find anything) that ipconfig.exe keeps running and not letting me run any other programs.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Somehow ipconfig is in a "Startup" section some place. This is a dos utility that shows network stuff - it's not evil.

Places to check to remove it:

1. Check in all the "Startup" folders underneath Documents & Settings. There are three in which it will be underneath the following:
All users, You(your install name), and Default user.
Then go to Start Menu - Programs - Startup.

2. Start - Run - regedit. Hit the + signs on the following:

a)HKeyCurrentUser - Software - Microsoft - Windows - Current Version. Click the Run (& Run Services) keys and check on the right side.

b)HKeyLocalMachine (do the same as "a")

3. Check config.sys and autoexec.bat on the root of the "C" drive.

4. Check win.ini inside the Windows folder for a "Load" or "Run" entry.

I know a half dozen people using NetZero with success. Order the cd and do the install that way. You need the Internet.