Calling Core2Quad Owners!

Pax2All

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
I need your help.
I suspect when TAT comes upon a 266fsb Core2 desktop CPU it assumes a Tjunction of 85c, and when TAT comes upon a 200fsb Core2 destop CPU it assumes a Tjunction of 100c. The only 266fsb Core2 desktop CPU with an estimated 100c Tjunction is the Core2Quad. If I am correct and CoreTemp 0.95 assigns a 100c Tjunction to the core2Quad then it will read higher than TAT under load temps. If CoreTemp 0.95 assigns a Tjunction of 85c to the Core2Quad then I'm willing to bet it and TAT will report the same temps under load.
Now I just need the kind assistance of some Core2Quad owners with Intel chipsets :D
This will do wonders to finally settle the TAT accuracy debate.

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I don't think there's any correlation between what is displayed for the max tjunction temp and how the app reads the temp data from the physical sensors.

Pax2All

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
The difference is apparent when you compare CoreTemp 0.95 and 0.94. The 0.95 build upped the Tjunction on the E4300 chip from 85c to 100c. This translated into an average increase of 15c in reported load temps. It was done because it was assumed TAT was correct. So yes there is a direct correlation between the Tjunction a monitoring program uses and the load temps it reports.
But lets get back to the subject of the thread....

kevyeoh

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
sorry but i don't quite get it... what do you mean by when there's a 266FSB chip, the program assumes a Tj of 85'C?

Do you mean the software will assume Tj max allowed is 85'C before it throttles? And when there's a 200FSB chip, it will allow up to 100'C before it throttles?

Pax2All

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
I mean if theres no way for TAT to correctly monitor Tjunction on desktop Core 2 architecture as Intel has stated then it may be assuming Tjunction according to the default fsb of the chip. A shot in the dark I know, but worth the experiment to find out what in the world is going on with temp monitoring.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
well... i havent actually used many intel chips at all really... but the motherboard bios temperatures are usually correct... stay in bios for about 5 minutes, and youll have your [most likely] accurate maximum cpu load temperature... and then compare that temperature to the temperature of the programs youre using

mrknowitall

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
well... i havent actually used many intel chips at all really... but the motherboard bios temperatures are usually correct... stay in bios for about 5 minutes, and youll have your [most likely] accurate maximum cpu load temperature... and then compare that temperature to the temperature of the programs youre using

:?

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
well... it is. if you cant rely on your motherboards bios temperatures (the bios runs your cpu at 100% load the whole time youre in it), you most likely cant rely on any cpu temperature monitoring programs windows is using (as theyll probably be wrong too then)... and if the bios temperature is wrong, a bios update will most likely correct it anyhow. if youre ever in doubt, the bios is where you check to make sure

TRENDING THREADS