Windows version

In asnwer tomy question about how to check the version of Windows I had I was
told to click on start, then settings, then control panel. But I don't see
Settings after I click Start; nor does it appear when I go into Control Panel.
--
Jerry
6 answers Last reply

    Jerry,

    In Windows there are always many ways to do things.

    To find your version of XP...
    Start | Run | Type: winver | Click OK

    Or read the version off of the General tab of System Properties.

    Settings does not exist on the XP Start Menu only on the Classic Start
    Menu.

    Start | Control Panel | System
    or
    Start | Type: sysdm.cpl | Click OK
    or
    Windows key + Pause/Break key
    or
    Start | Run | Type: control sysdm.cpl | Click OK
    or...

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:4D7EC53D-B168-4382-BF2A-0B1B20A589E6@microsoft.com,
    Jerry <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In asnwer tomy question about how to check the version of Windows I had I
    was
    > told to click on start, then settings, then control panel. But I don't
    see
    > Settings after I click Start; nor does it appear when I go into Control
    Panel.

    it should be there,
    but if not, you can get to the control panel though "my computer"

    In news:4D7EC53D-B168-4382-BF2A-0B1B20A589E6@microsoft.com,
    Jerry <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > In asnwer tomy question about how to check the version of
    > Windows I
    > had I was told to click on start, then settings, then control
    > panel.
    > But I don't see Settings after I click Start; nor does it
    > appear when
    > I go into Control Panel.

    There are several ways to check, but I think this is the easiest:
    hold down the Windows key and press the Pause | Break key.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | In asnwer tomy question about how to check the version of Windows I had I
    was
    | told to click on start, then settings, then control panel. But I don't
    see
    | Settings after I click Start; nor does it appear when I go into Control
    Panel.
    | --
    | Jerry

    Click Start> Run, type WINVER click OK.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    Jerry wrote:
    > In asnwer tomy question about how to check the version of Windows I had I was
    > told to click on start, then settings, then control panel. But I don't see
    > Settings after I click Start; nor does it appear when I go into Control Panel.

    There are several ways. Take your pick:

    1) Right-click My Computer > Properties.

    2) Start > Run > Winver.exe <Enter>.

    3) Start > Run > MSinfo32.exe <Enter>.

    4) Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information

    5) Start > Run > DXDiag.exe <Enter>.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Control Panel is on the XP Start Menu, not under a category called
    "Settings".
    that's in the Windows 9x days or prior to XP.

    However if you have XP set to the "classic" start menu, then the Settings
    option is visible, and Control Panel is a sub-menu/category under
    "settings".

    Just to clarify; you are using Windows XP - right?

    "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In asnwer tomy question about how to check the version of Windows I had I
    > was
    > told to click on start, then settings, then control panel. But I don't
    > see
    > Settings after I click Start; nor does it appear when I go into Control
    > Panel.
    > --
    > Jerry

Control Panel Microsoft Windows XP