Windows version

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In asnwer tomy question about how to check the version of Windows I had I was
told to click on start, then settings, then control panel. But I don't see
Settings after I click Start; nor does it appear when I go into Control Panel.
--
Jerry

Jerry,

In Windows there are always many ways to do things.

To find your version of XP...
Start | Run | Type: winver | Click OK

Or read the version off of the General tab of System Properties.

Settings does not exist on the XP Start Menu only on the Classic Start
Menu.

Start | Control Panel | System
or
Start | Type: sysdm.cpl | Click OK
or
Windows key + Pause/Break key
or
Start | Run | Type: control sysdm.cpl | Click OK
or...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:4D7EC53D-B168-4382-BF2A-0B1B20A589E6@microsoft.com,
Jerry <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> In asnwer tomy question about how to check the version of Windows I
> had I was told to click on start, then settings, then control panel.
> But I don't see Settings after I click Start; nor does it appear when
> I go into Control Panel. --
> Jerry

Philo

"Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In asnwer tomy question about how to check the version of Windows I had I
was
> told to click on start, then settings, then control panel. But I don't
see
> Settings after I click Start; nor does it appear when I go into Control
Panel.

it should be there,
but if not, you can get to the control panel though "my computer"

In news:4D7EC53D-B168-4382-BF2A-0B1B20A589E6@microsoft.com,
Jerry <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> In asnwer tomy question about how to check the version of
> Windows I
> had I was told to click on start, then settings, then control
> panel.
> But I don't see Settings after I click Start; nor does it
> appear when
> I go into Control Panel.

There are several ways to check, but I think this is the easiest:
hold down the Windows key and press the Pause | Break key.

Please reply to the newsgroup

"Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| In asnwer tomy question about how to check the version of Windows I had I
was
| told to click on start, then settings, then control panel. But I don't
see
| Settings after I click Start; nor does it appear when I go into Control
Panel.
| --
| Jerry

Click Start> Run, type WINVER click OK.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Jerry wrote:
> In asnwer tomy question about how to check the version of Windows I had I was
> told to click on start, then settings, then control panel. But I don't see
> Settings after I click Start; nor does it appear when I go into Control Panel.

There are several ways. Take your pick:

1) Right-click My Computer > Properties.

2) Start > Run > Winver.exe <Enter>.

3) Start > Run > MSinfo32.exe <Enter>.

4) Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information

5) Start > Run > DXDiag.exe <Enter>.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Control Panel is on the XP Start Menu, not under a category called
"Settings".
that's in the Windows 9x days or prior to XP.

However if you have XP set to the "classic" start menu, then the Settings
option is visible, and Control Panel is a sub-menu/category under
"settings".

Just to clarify; you are using Windows XP - right?