AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ EE
Geil Value 2×1GB KIT 800MHz RAM
Gigabyte GA-M61VME-S2
Gigabyte Radeon X1600 PRO graphic card
Creative X-FI Extreme Music sound card
Seagate 160GB SATAII hdd
Samsung DVD/RW
LC Power LC-2019MB case with 350W PSU

I have installed Windows Vista 32 bit and been quite happy with my new computer till I found out it's restarting every few days.
It's restarting without any worning window. Sometimes it's during I'm listening to music (Winamp) and surfing on internet but sometimes I only listen to music and doing nothing with my mouse or keyboard.
Sometimes it just shuts down like I would unplug power cord and sometimes It just 'hangs up'. I can't move mouse pointer then and music from Winamp is like from broken CD. I have to shut it by unpluging. But once I got blue screen and message sth like: Computer shut down to prevent damage to your hardware.

I installed Everest to check temperatures and voltages and that it seems OK. Even when I put computer in heavy duty work. CPU temp is about 49°C then ( 39°C in idle).
Also strange is that when comp is heavy duty working (rendering in AutoCAD) for a few hours alltogether, everything is OK.
That's why I don't blame PSU or even other hardware. I have also put memory to MemTest86 through night and it didn't say any errors.

I have installed all latest drivers for motherboard, graphic and sound card.

I somehow think restarting is not hardware problem, but maybe some program or driver is not compatible with vista. I don't know.

Did you have any similar problems or have any clue, why would my comp keep restarting?

pseudopeon

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
Hmm... I'm not keen on that very generic-sounding 350W PSU which came with your case, I know you say it works under heavy load for hours but still not keen.
If you're getting BSODs it should give you some general indication of what's gone wrong (a specific device driver, etc.).
Does WinAmp even have a Vista version?

feeltch

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
I had BSOD only once and it said: 'system shut down to prevent damage to your hardware' but I don't know if it said sth more about what went wrong. Otherwise comp. shuts down instantly - without any blue screen, or it 'hangs up' - everything stops on display.

Winamp doesn't have officialy vista supported player yet, but people on their forum mostly say it works.

pseudopeon

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
...Winamp doesn't have officialy vista supported player yet, but people on their forum mostly say it works.

Do you get the same effect if you play your music through WMP? Maybe you simply have an unfortunate combination of software and/or drivers which is giving you trouble just in WinAmp...

feeltch

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
10x for replies.

I'll check +12V ratings after I come home today and let you know.
On web there is no spec about PSU of my case (see 'cases' 'ATX micro' '2019MB')

But also I was checking that with Everest (Lavalys software) and it said +12V output gives 12.1-12.2V (also under heavy duty load).

I'll also try runnig Win Media Player for some time instead of Winamp. Maybe it really only driver/software issue, but it's really strange

randomizer

Champion
I had BSOD only once and it said: 'system shut down to prevent damage to your hardware'
I think that is just a generic error message (meaning "we screwed up another OS like ME and dont want it to wreck your pc"), there must be some kind of error code tho, like 0x000003c0 or something. Surely M$ didnt remove the only pathetic info in their BSODs that we could actually use.

pseudopeon

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
It sucks the most when the BSOD only flashes on the screen for a split-second and you never get a chance to see what it says... :roll:

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Just curious, Where are you from? All I find on your case/MB are European. No luck with specs but there a PDF on the LC site, I can't d/l load at work.

feeltch

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
PSU specifications:
+3.3V......20A
+12V1.....15A
-12V........0.5A
+5V.........20A
+12V2......10A
-5V..........0.5A
+5Vsd......2A
You said at least 18A under the +12V. Is that for my PSU like 12V1+12V2=15A+10A=25A

Here is what Everest senzors detected when sistem is idle:
untitledwi7.jpg

After 10 min. of constant rendering (100% CPU load):
untitled1wa0.jpg

I'll change my PSU only if I'll really have to. I had problems with my previous comp also and changed PSU and RAM but finally I found out, that problem was in Panda antivirus version I had was not compatible with my AMD Athlon processor.

AeroB1033

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
This is just a wacky theory, but your system was saying it was shutting down to prevent hardware damage, right? What if your PSU is running over-voltage (say somewhere above 12.5) enough to cause serious problems? Then when you put it under heavy load, the voltage could probably drop to relatively normal parameters as it strained to keep up.

In any case, the most likely culprit is the PSU, whether my crazy theory is correct or not :lol: I'd go ahead and replace it to see if your problems go away.

Have you checked Vista's new Reliability Monitor? It keeps track of crashes and hang-ups on your system:

To open Reliability Monitor in Microsoft Management Console

1. Click Start, right-click Computer, and click Manage. Microsoft Management Console will start.

2. In the navigation pane, expand Reliability and Performance, expand Monitoring Tools, and click Reliability Monitor.

That may help you track down software issues, however your PSU is very weak on the amps. I'm with the others in suspecting the PSU on this one.

feeltch

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
I think I might have found the problem.

I think allways I had a restart I was listening to winamp streaming Radio Paradise from internet.
But yesterday I did it with Windows Media Player and after few hours I noticed an error in WMP playlist. It said sth about connection to Radio Paradise was lost. Windows on-line error help said some code of error and that I should check certain settings in WMP, but there was everything like it should be.

I think some error occures from time to time during listening to Radio Paradise and WinAmp can't handle it, as it is not fully officially Vista supported yet. I'll check it on Radio Paradise forum.

I'm still not sure, but I think that's it. I'll get sure in a few days.
I'll post you error message from WMP later in the day.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Vista has a reliability monitor? You mean they need a log to see how reliable the OS is instead of just knowing that it is.
It is easier for the Beta testers to send in all the error reports. Oh, the Beta testers are the one running Vista 1.0

feeltch

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
Here's that error report

untitled5yd6.jpg

untitled6vz0.jpg

I did't have any restarts in two days since i use Win Media Player instead of Winamp to listen to Radio Paradise (internet radio)

Thanks for help