CPU voltage variances scare me please help!!!

Lvl21nerd

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
maybe im just paranoid but i dont trust my PSU
and on that note, i just have to say that my CPU voltage, according to CPU-Z 1.38 is constantly changing anywhere from 1.152V-1.312V...that looks bad to me
thats like, what, an ~8% variance, or more if my math is off
so is this bad for my CPU?!
and if so, do i need a new PSU?
the one i have is an e-Power and i dont trust if
just sounds like a pile of turd anyways but i would appreciate any input regarding my voltages and if anyone has any ideas for a new PSU for me under $100 with shipping, im all ears

thanks in advance, Tom's Hardware Forumz rock

Lvl21nerd

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
i honestly dont know the answer to that question, but i can tell you that when i used Orthos, the voltage according to CPU-Z was holding steady at 1.312V, so is that bad?
i dont know a whole lot about these things...

also, do you have a recommendation for a replacement PSU for under $100?
i hear FSP power supplies are good for the money...

Lvl21nerd

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
a little, barely at all
its OCed to 2.806Ghz right now, and sometimes will drop to 2.805 or go up to 2.807
but thats about all that it will vary
so im guessing that im in some deep crap and i need a new PSU, so i offer up this one and can anyone tell me if it would be a good buy:? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104934

its got Active PFC and its under $90 and its a FSP so would it be a good replacement?

Before spending any money, go to your BIOS and make sure Speedstep (C1E and EIST) is disabled. Your PSU becomes a problem when you experience stability issues, like it cutting off during load times or after installing a new higher voltage/wattage component. You can find C1E and EIST in the Advance sections of your BIOS.

Now I'll just wait to see a one star with this post. Some jackass has been going around in every forum and giving me one votes.

Lvl21nerd

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
ok i disabled C1E and now my voltage is where it should be, steady at 1.312

why was it varying before?
also, i could not find EIST, where would this be and what is it?

Depending on your motherboard, it should be in the same section as C1E, but to be honest, I'm none to familiar with Biostar's boards or BIOS, so you'l have to give me some time to read the manual and see exactly where it is.

Speed step is Intel technology that is designed to lower the clock speed, voltage, and or multiplier of a processor when it is at idle state. The reason they do this is so that your CPU isn't always drawing its max power when its not working. This reduces heat, and at the same time, extends the overall life of the chip. Its actually one of the first thing you turn off when overclocking, because it causes those weird variances you noticed.

C1E is the basic version of the power saving technology, it's basically an advanced halt state. EIST was first used with the second gen of Pentium M processors (What the Core 2 Duo descended from). With EIST the CPU varies its clock frequency (and voltage) between about 40% and 100% of its base frequency in increments of 100 MHz.

Lvl21nerd

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
i love Toms Hardware forumz more than anything now
im still going to get a new PSU just because i dont like to say i have an e-Power, but let me just say that i was asking around on the PC Hardware board on my normal hangout, GameFAQs.com, and no one on there had a clue what was up with my variances...

love u guys and now i can finally sleep
hooray!!! and thanks

once again, TOMZ ROCKS

That is one of the best. I have the model a step higher, the 850W GameXStream, and it hasn't given me a problem or a bother yet. I would consider a 650W for your needs, but then again, you never know what you'll be adding to your rig, and with the PSU being one of the most important components in your build, its a good idea to not scrimp on it.