asifa1

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
I have two memory sticks (PC3200 512MB DDR 400),i have intel D865perl motherboard.

But i am unable to configure it in dual channel mode,in BIOS it still showing me single channel.I have install RAMs according to configuration
channel A slot0---->DDR 400 512MB
channel A slot1---->None
Channel B slot0--->DDR 400 512MB
channel B slot1---->None

In BIOS it still showing me single channel and also i have seen this which make me confuse.
System Bus speed---->400Mhz
System memory speed-->266Mhz

So my memory speed are running at 266Mhz?

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Hmmmm.....weird. Do you have CPU-Z? Search for it on google, its easy to find. Run it and tell us what it says about your computer. (ie: ram speeds and such)

asifa1

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
After running CPU-Z it shows me
slot1---->
Max Bandwidth-->PC3200(200Mhz)
Manufacturer --->Samsung
At 200Mhz
CAS latency---3
RAS to CAS---4
RAS precharge---4
Tras---------------8

Slot3---->
Max Bandwidth---->PC3200(200Mhz)
Manufacturer---->Kingstone
CAS latency---3
RAS to CAS---3
RAS precharge---3
Tras---------------8

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Ok...sorry should have specified better. Go to the "memory" tab on CPU-Z. I would like to know what it says for the "Channels #" section and the "Frequency" section. The Channels will tell me whether the memory is really running in dual channel or not. the frequency will tell me whether the ram is really running at DDR 266 speeds or not. Respond and I'll get right back to you.

asifa1

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
thanks for ur response:)
In "Memory Tab"
Type:DDR
Size:1024MB
Channel#---->Single
Frequency#--->133Mhz
FSB:DRAM---->3:4

asifa1

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
they are just two sticks of same type and speed,(PC3200 DDR 400)

why my two RAMs(400Mhz each speed) running at 266Mhz? Its because of My system bus speed is 400Mhz????

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Even though the ram sticks are not a matched pair, they should still run in dual channel at a frequency of 200 in CPU-Z.

Ok. Here's what I would do. First, I would try removing the second stick and putting it into the second ram slot. (the one marked channel A slot 1) I have seen motherboards that are labeled wrong like that. If it still says single channel in CPU-Z, tell me and we'll try further troubleshooting.

As for the slow ram speed, its probably that the motherboard is running them at the wrong speed. Somewhere in the bios screen there should be an option to change the ram speed or the ram speed divider.
If the option is the ram speed, there are two possibilities. If the current speed is 133, change the value to 200. If the current speed says 266, change the value to 400. If there is no ram speed adjustment, look for a ram divider value. This should be something like 3:4 currently. If this is the case, I need to know what processor you have to tell you what to change it to.

asifa1

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
YES i have put my second stick in slot 1 of channel A its still showing "Single".

I have seen in the bios ,u can change RAM speed but by "default" RAM timings and frequencies are set to "Auto"

I am using "D865perl" mobo and intel pentium 4 2Ghz.

asifa1

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
One thing i want to tell,i didn;t test CPU-Z when my RAM was in channel A slot 0(first slot) and channel B slot0(slot 3).
where i checked in motherboard BIOS for single or dual channel.

I have run CPU-Z when my RAMs were in slot0 and slot1 of channel A .

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Ok. Move the second ram stick into slot 0 of channel B. Boot up and once again go to the memory tab on CPU-Z. Tell me what you see.

As for the speed of your ram, your motherboard is recognizing your ram as a lower speed than it is for some reason. You will have to manually adjust the speed of the ram to make it run at the correct speed.

asifa1

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
I put my second RAM in slot0 of channel B,still "Single channel" in both CPU-Z and BIOS.

Also when i manually set my RAM speed more than 266Mhz i-e 333Mhz and 400Mhz,i have to face the following message in bootup.
"Properly Programmed SPD device data is required for reliable operation DDR 266Mhz memory assumed at slowest timings.

If i manually set RAM frequency at 266Mhz then above message will not appear.I heard that if ur system bus speed is 400Mhz u cannot set the RAM speed to more than 266Mhz.

Waiting for reply about the case of Dual channel and RAm frequency :) .

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I had this issue with my 875 chipset. I bought 2 sticks and they would not run at 200 when in dual-channel. I set them manually and they would not run stable. Those sticks were cheap-o house brand memory and when I got a matched pair all was good. I have seen pairs that are unmatched run in dual-channel, but it is not guaranteed. I setting them manually causes them to run unstable, then get rid of them and buy some better RAM.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Yeah, I don't know about that dual channel issue. I guess your motherboard just won't let the unmatched pair run in dual channel. There's nothing that we can really do about it, sorry. As for the ram speed, I would just try setting the speed to DDR 400. Even though it gives you a warning, if the ram is decent, it should run just fine. If you have stability issues, set the ram to a lower speed. Sorry that I can't be of more help, but there's really nothing I can do.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Yeah, I looked it up...its only a 400mhz FSB processor. I didn't know that you needed a 533mhz FSB processor to have dual channel. (Guess you learn something new everyday!) Looks like thats the cause of your dual channel problem asifa1; too bad.

asifa1

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Thanks for all who response to this thread specially person above :wink:
Yah thats very bad end of this thread :lol:

Everything is working perfect all the games on pentium 4 2Ghz ,1GB RAM,256MB Nvidia Geforce 6200 AGP.

Do u people still think i have to use money to purchase Dual Core Due 2 PCs?? 8)

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Do u people still think i have to use money to purchase Dual Core Due 2 PCs?? 8)

Well, if everything you have is running just fine, then I wouldn't bother to upgrade. When things start getting much too slow for your liking, then consider upgrading. Besides, in a few months, the prices of Core 2's will come down, and AMD's new processors will come out. Also, the new generation of graphics cards will come out. I'd save my money for the time being.

I would still try setting the ram up to DDR400 speed; even though it gives you a message at the beginning of startup. The extra added ram bandwidth might help your PC to run just a little bit faster. Besides, if it has problems, all you have to do is put the speed back down to what its set as now.

Best of Luck

Ninjaz7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Borrow a set of dual channel from a friend...there needs to be a matching set,diffrent ic chips(tccd,bh-5)can throw it off :D gl

asifa1

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Well, if everything you have is running just fine, then I wouldn't bother to upgrade. When things start getting much too slow for your liking, then consider upgrading. Besides, in a few months, the prices of Core 2's will come down, and AMD's new processors will come out. Also, the new generation of graphics cards will come out. I'd save my money for the time being.

I am not a hardcore gamer,definately i can wait more than 1 years ,may be at that time prices will come down too much compare to now.After studying intel Quad Core technologies ,it gives me shock :lol: pentium 4 is nothing nowadays.
would still try setting the ram up to DDR400 speed; even though it gives you a message at the beginning of startup. The extra added ram bandwidth might help your PC to run just a little bit faster. Besides, if it has problems, all you have to do is put the speed back down to what its set as now.

It gives me message that u can;t set the RAM speed to 400Mhz, ,so DDR 266Mhz memory assumed at slowest timings.So it still running RAM at speed 266Mhz.
In the past ,i only consider the amount of RAM ,i didn;t know anything about RAM speed,FSB but thanks to tomhardware forum.