Building a new rig with my tax money...advice needed...

Blacklava

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Hi guys,

I recieved my Federal and State income tax refund money, and I decided that I'd pay off credit card debt with my Federal and "splurge" with my State refund of $698. After seeing these price drops, I said to myself, "Damn, I'm going build a new PC rather than upgrading my old rig."

Background

I do not consider myself an "extreme" gamer. My choice of gaming is limited to EASports video games. Relative to some of the games I hear about on this game, I don't believe that these games are more graphic intensive, but feel free to correct me. Bottom line, though, I want my gaming experience to be as smooth as water. Beautiful graphics, no stuttering, the whole nine yards. Other than that, I will be using this rig for searching the net, running Microsoft Office applications, and storing photos and music (among other typical Windows-related applications).

FYI, when helping me put together my rig, I:

1.Have to purchase an operating system, as I don't have one.
2.I already have a HD (WD Caviar 7200 rpm 8MBC SATA)
3.I have a CDR/RW.
4.I'd love my case to be silver and have a window (some lighting would be cool too)
5.Future upgradability is vital. I don't want build a completely new rig for at least 5 years or so.
6.I have no desire to overclock. Just a solid rig.

I guess I have a tight budget, but I really think I might be able to put something very solid together (perhaps AMD-based). I'm beginning to research parts, so I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for all of your help.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Tight budget but we have done one for less money.

You need a decent processor AMD 64X2 or Pent D for less than $100
Solid MB for the CPU
2 GB of RAM; Office loves RAM
You did not say the size of the HD, we will assume it is big enough for now.
Really need a DVD-RW now days but you can make do with your if all you want is load games and play music CD's
There are some many case choices, all I recommend is go local and find one you like. They will change you at least $15 to ship.
5 years is a long time between upgrades, but what we suggest will be easy to add small part upgrade when the money is there
Nothing wrong with solid :)
Would have to say buy XP home, least cost at retail and you might look for OEM from the place you buy stuff.

There is a start. Look through the forum, there are several starter build lists there, good rigs for $500. And come back with all your questions

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hi guys,

I recieved my Federal and State income tax refund money, and I decided that I'd pay off credit card debt with my Federal and "splurge" with my State refund of $698. After seeing these price drops, I said to myself, "Damn, I'm going build a new PC rather than upgrading my old rig."

Background

I do not consider myself an "extreme" gamer. My choice of gaming is limited to EASports video games. Relative to some of the games I hear about on this game, I don't believe that these games are more graphic intensive, but feel free to correct me. Bottom line, though, I want my gaming experience to be as smooth as water. Beautiful graphics, no stuttering, the whole nine yards. Other than that, I will be using this rig for searching the net, running Microsoft Office applications, and storing photos and music (among other typical Windows-related applications).

FYI, when helping me put together my rig, I:

1.Have to purchase an operating system, as I don't have one.
2.I already have a HD (WD Caviar 7200 rpm 8MBC SATA)
3.I have a CDR/RW.
4.I'd love my case to be silver and have a window (some lighting would be cool too)
5.Future upgradability is vital. I don't want build a completely new rig for at least 5 years or so.
6.I have no desire to overclock. Just a solid rig.

I guess I have a tight budget, but I really think I might be able to put something very solid together (perhaps AMD-based). I'm beginning to research parts, so I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for all of your help.
Here's the best advice you'll get on this.... Pay more into your taxes!!! Then you'll get a bigger refund. :lol:

Blacklava

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Here's the best advice you'll get on this.... Pay more into your taxes!!! Then you'll get a bigger refund. :lol:

I do :wink: :lol: .Trust me, there's a reason why I didn't say how much I recieved in Federal refunds (let's just say a helluvalot) because you guys'd have me throw more into my PC. I don't want to spend too much on a PC that I won't be doing heavy gaming on, ya know? Especially when I'm getting an XBox 360 soon.

Blacklava

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Back on topic:

Can someone please suggest a stable AMD AM2-based mobo under $100 that supports both dual and quad-core?

hashbrown

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
I would recommend waiting a month or so to build as both AMD and Intel will be dropping prices dramatically. This may make an intel C2D available in price if you were interested in those at all. otherwise the X2s will be even more dirt cheap.

Blacklava

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
I would recommend waiting a month or so to build as both AMD and Intel will be dropping prices dramatically. This may make an intel C2D available in price if you were interested in those at all. otherwise the X2s will be even more dirt cheap.

Yup, that's my plan actually. I just wanted to get an idea which route to go. After seeing those X2 prices post-April, I knew that'd be the route I'd go. I'm just looking for a solid mobo to go with it, as I'd rather spend a bulk of my money on a processor, memory, and video card.

hashbrown

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
Ok, well i was reading this article on the ASUS boards for the socket AM2 based on the Nvidia 570 chipset, doesn't look so good for overclocking if you plan on it.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-nforce570.html

Here are a few mobos that I'd look into:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128014
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127008
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138026
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130050
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130057

hope that helps you out