Sign in with
Your question

One more reason to use firefox for googling..

Tags:
  • Google
  • Firefox
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
February 10, 2006 4:03:37 AM

@ slashdot
Quote:

neelm writes "The EFF is asking users not to use the new version of Google Desktop that has a 'search across computers' option. The option will store copies of documents on your hard drive on Google servers, where the government or anyone who wants to may subpoena (i.e. no search warrants) the information. Google says it is not yet scanning the files for advertising, but it hasn't ruled out the possibility."

Full article here

More about : reason firefox googling

February 10, 2006 5:47:45 AM

Quote:
@ slashdot

neelm writes "The EFF is asking users not to use the new version of Google Desktop that has a 'search across computers' option. The option will store copies of documents on your hard drive on Google servers, where the government or anyone who wants to may subpoena (i.e. no search warrants) the information. Google says it is not yet scanning the files for advertising, but it hasn't ruled out the possibility."

Full article here

What's that got to do with using IE, Opera, Firefox or any other browser?

:?:
February 10, 2006 7:59:27 PM

Firefox has google search (and others) built in.
Related resources
February 10, 2006 8:33:11 PM

Still not sure what this has to do with FireFox or IE. You don't have to use Google desktop to do Google searches with IE either.
February 11, 2006 12:16:18 PM

Quote:
"We can't say whether Firefox is a safer browser or not,"

Enough said. We are beating a dead horse here.
February 11, 2006 12:30:04 PM

I hate to keep this alive, because I was only posting what I thought might be an interesting read, BUT people using browsers that do not have google in the toolbar are more inclined to download a "desktop" that provides easy acess to the search engine.
February 12, 2006 6:28:37 AM

Quote:
"We can't say whether Firefox is a safer browser or not,"

Enough said. We are beating a dead horse here.

Exactly. The guy comes on here posting something about an application that doesn't even have anything to do with IE or Firefox and then turns it into an "I hate IE" thread :roll:

I think you need to go back to school and learn the difference between an Internet Browser and Google Desktop Search. Using IE makes me no more likely to encounter the problems that your first post stated. Using Firefox doesn't make me any less likely to encounter these issues either.

Installing Google Desktop Search is what is the issue here and it's totally independant o what browser you use. For the record Firefox does NOT have Google toolbar built in AFAIK.
February 12, 2006 7:24:34 AM

I was not aware of the scope of the latest google desktop. My last experience with google on the desktop was nothing more than a glorified search bar in the windows task bar. :oops:  My apologies to all who were dumbfounded by my ignorance.

I'm not aware of any schools that have courses in "google desktops", but I think a bit of googling (although without adding "review" to search produces some biased results) is sufficient on the education front.

Firefox, from at least version 1.0.7 (currently at 1.5), has several search bars: Ebay, dictionary.com, bitTorrent, Wikipedia, and the ability to add new ones, integrated into the browser. IMO, it is extremely useful.

I never said "I hate IE." My personal preference, as far as desktop browsers go, is in fact firefox, but to each to his own. I haven't tried IE7 yet, but I think many would agree, 6 could use a lot of work. I haven't tried Opera in a while either.

Perhaps I assume too much from the audience here. Perhaps, you are used to reading moronic posts.
Either way A little courtesy would go a long way with me.
February 13, 2006 1:51:45 AM

Quote:
I was not aware of the scope of the latest google desktop. My last experience with google on the desktop was nothing more than a glorified search bar in the windows task bar. :oops:  My apologies to all who were dumbfounded by my ignorance.

I'm not aware of any schools that have courses in "google desktops", but I think a bit of googling (although without adding "review" to search produces some biased results) is sufficient on the education front.

Firefox, from at least version 1.0.7 (currently at 1.5), has several search bars: Ebay, dictionary.com, bitTorrent, Wikipedia, and the ability to add new ones, integrated into the browser. IMO, it is extremely useful.

I never said "I hate IE." My personal preference, as far as desktop browsers go, is in fact firefox, but to each to his own. I haven't tried IE7 yet, but I think many would agree, 6 could use a lot of work. I haven't tried Opera in a while either.

Perhaps I assume too much from the audience here. Perhaps, you are used to reading moronic posts.
Either way A little courtesy would go a long way with me.

Apologies if I was a little rude but it is a little tiring to read the "OMFG Firefox totally 0wnZ j00" type posts :( 

You really should have possibly read the article on the Toms website and realised the scope of the problem and which software it relates to :) 

I am not a gentle person by nature but perhaps I should start being a little nicer :p 

IE7 is very good IMHO. Firefox is better than IE6 in certain respects. I use Firefox and IE6 at work because the IE6 works with our Citrix apps and Firefox doesn't :)  I only use IE7 at home though
!