Display settings dont keep after restart or shutdown

Finny

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Hey guys im fixing a friends computer

its a p42.6ht socket 462
512ddr400ram
octek intel 865G intel chipset mother board (@latest ocktec motherboard drivers from website)
80gig maxtor ata100
9200se agp 8x 128mbddr (@5.12Omegas)
and its running xp home sp2 DirectX 9.0cAugust

and ive tryed heaps of differnt drivers and the one mentioned above are the ones im running now

The Actual Problem is that i set the Resoloution to 1024x786x32bit in display and everytime i turn of the comp or restart it goes back to 640x480x8bit!!!

PS. the windows in an old install from a collage ! maybe this is the problem

The Settings wont stick!!! even with running comp with no Drivers?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!(no chipset,display) and it still reverts back to 640-480-8bit

Help MEEEEEEE

sturm

Splendid
The drivers arent loading. 640x480 8 bit is the windows default when it cant detect the card or the drivers arent installed or dont load.
Make sure the old drivers are completly removed. Also might run a registry cleaner after removing the drivers to clear it out also. Go into device manager and remove the video card from the list. Reboot and windows should detect it. Install the origional drivers that came with the card to start with.
Now if it still doesnt install correctly, I would remove the card from the slot, clean the contacts and the slot, and reinstall the card.
If that still doesnt work try a different card. The 9200 card may just be bad. Also might try the 9200 in another computer, one with an ati card already in it so drivers dont need to change, to see if it works in that one.

Finny

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
The drivers arent loading. 640x480 8 bit is the windows default when it cant detect the card or the drivers arent installed or dont load.
Make sure the old drivers are completly removed. Also might run a registry cleaner after removing the drivers to clear it out also. Go into device manager and remove the video card from the list. Reboot and windows should detect it. Install the origional drivers that came with the card to start with.
Now if it still doesnt install correctly, I would remove the card from the slot, clean the contacts and the slot, and reinstall the card.
If that still doesnt work try a different card. The 9200 card may just be bad. Also might try the 9200 in another computer, one with an ati card already in it so drivers dont need to change, to see if it works in that one.

well the resoloution actuley is still applyed and the drivers are actleuey are installed propoley

but when windows first logs in to the account the resoloution is 1024 appleyed but it changes bak to 640 and it stays like that untill i change it in display

other stuff isent working so ill probably format