which to buy? 32 inch "regular" or 30 inch widescreen?

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 7, 2004 6:47:49 PM

Looking to upgrade from my old 25" tv. With HDTV coming on strong, I guess
it's time to go that way

I can't decide if I should get a 30 inch flat widescreen (such as this:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-30--HDTV-Monit...
)

OR a 32" flat screen that is . (like this:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-32--HDTV-Monit... )
I have stood in Best Buy & Cicuit City for HOURS trying to decide which I
prefer, and I can't come up with anything....

This would be our main family room TV, used for most common TV applications:
DirecTV, Playstation2, DVD's, etc....HDTV? ....tyring to stay under/around
the $600 mark if possible, but willing to spring a couple hundred more if
necessary

NOW, the question is what would YOU get...and why? Benefits/cons of each?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 6:47:50 PM

*** WISESCREEN ***

I cannot stress this enough ! 16:9 is the HD standard anything less and
you are short changing yourself!!!

The key is to buy a 16:9 set that is larger than the tv you currently
own , this way the SD (4:3) stuff is as big or bigger than what you
already have.

If space is at a premium then look at the samsung DLP models, they
flare out , so the tv in the back is not as large as the screen making
it possible to slide it in an opening, I put a 46" dlp into a 43"
opening just leaving the bezel exposed.

On 2004-10-07 10:47:49 -0400, "bb2004" <beebe4@frontiernet.net> said:

> Looking to upgrade from my old 25" tv. With HDTV coming on strong, I
> guess it's time to go that way
>
> I can't decide if I should get a 30 inch flat widescreen (such as this:
> http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-30--HDTV-Monit...
> )
>
> OR a 32" flat screen that is . (like this:
> http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-32--HDTV-Monit...
> )
> I have stood in Best Buy & Cicuit City for HOURS trying to decide which
> I prefer, and I can't come up with anything....
>
> This would be our main family room TV, used for most common TV
> applications: DirecTV, Playstation2, DVD's, etc....HDTV? ....tyring to
> stay under/around the $600 mark if possible, but willing to spring a
> couple hundred more if necessary
>
> NOW, the question is what would YOU get...and why? Benefits/cons of each?
>
> THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 8:17:35 PM

"JH" <JH@nospam.net> wrote
> The key is to buy a 16:9 set that is larger than the tv you currently
> own , this way the SD (4:3) stuff is as big or bigger than what you
> already have.

Use this website to determine the size of 16:9 you need to do this.

http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi

mack
austin
October 7, 2004 8:36:12 PM

I know it seems a little awkward to go with a widescreen (16:9)
television that's actually smaller than it's square (4:3) counterpart,
but it's important to understand that all HD content is widescreen and
this will not change, because the HD standards (1080p/1080i/720p) all
demand a 16:9 (widescreen) aspect ratio.

It's important to understand the stretch mode options avaiable on the
set you are buying (get an in store demo), many manufactuers offer a
mode that takes the 4:3 picture and stretches the right and left sides
carefully giving you a widescreen look on all content with nominal
picture distortion. This is how I watch almost all my 4:3 content at
this point.

For movies, understand that most widescreen movies are "anamorphic",
meaning those black bars you see on the top and bottom aren't really
part of the image and on a widescreen television, movies that are
formatted for widescreen 1:85:1 (16:9) are going to fill out the
entire screen nicely with no picture distortion. The widescreen set is
better to handle widecreen movies than a 4:3 set, makes sense doesn't
it? For more information on why this is a good thing check out this
excellent article on screen aspect ratios:

http://tinyurl.com/txmx
(or use this link if the Tinyurl has expired)
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspec...

If you have any room in the budget, I'd highly recommend stepping up
to something a bit larger (consider the 46" Hitachi 46F500):

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCooki...

This model is a table-top rear-projection set that's loaded with
goodies, has excellent picture quality. You can't really appriciate
High Definition on anything smaller than a 46" set unless you're less
than 6 feet from the screen. Most people who invest a little more in a
larger high definition screen. My wife questioned my decision at
first, now the whole family loves the big screen and I think my wife
gets as much (or more) enjoyment from the thing as I do.

For additional information before buying, check out my website:
http://hdtv.0catch.com. There's a lot to know about this technology
before you lay down your hard earned money.
October 9, 2004 4:35:55 AM

Keep in mind that a 16 X 9 HD image viewed on a 4 X 3 HD set will not give
you the lines of resolution you would get with the same image viewed on a 16
X 9 HD screen. Say your 4 X3 tv can do 1080I. If you watch a 16 X 9 HD image
on it you will not get the 1080 lines of resolution because you are not
using the entire screen. The black bars are wasted lines of resolution. You
get to watch what is left. Watching that same 16 X 9 HD image on a 16 X 9
display will get you the full resolution of say 1080I. If you watch a letter
boxed movie on a 4X3 run of the mill analog TV. You are not getting 525
lines of movie. You are getting substantially less due to the wasted lines
above and below the image.
Norm
!