cobz

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Ok I have built my new system but i didnt have the correct windows xp pro boot disk so i had to install on old comp. Now that i have put my hdd back into my new build, i am getting the error msg saying how to startup windows.

'Safe Mode'
'Safe Mode with networking'
'Last known good configuration'
'Start windows normaly'

If i click any 1 of these my computer restarts itself and goes back to that menu... what the hell can i do? =<

This is my 1st build and im 15... i have tried the internet with no luck.. hope u guys can help =<

Cobz

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Okay guy, this is the first big lesson you have learned.

YOU CANNOT MOVE AN XP-INSTALLED HARD DRIVE FROM ONE PC TO ANOTHER!
(unless it is virtually the same hardware, especially mobo)

There are complicated reasons why that you can learn about later.

You will have to do a fresh install.

Using a W98 boot disk, invoke fdisk at the "A" prompt. IMPORTANT! Do not format the hard drive here. Just delete the partition.

1. Say Yes to enable large disk support (and for ntfs...large...etc)

2. Enter choice: [3] - (hit Enter)

3. Enter choice: [4] - (hit Enter)

4. Delete the [1] partition - (hit Enter)

5. Do you wish to continue [Y] - (hit Enter)

Escape out; pop in your XP cd, and press Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot and start your fresh install. I recommend doing the long format for NTFS when you get to that option.

cobz

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
yes but one of my mums friends (he builds comps for a living) says it should ask for a system check or sumthing to recognise new hardware...

If the hardware is similar (IE P4 to P4 or AMD to AMD), you may be able to get away with doing a repair install rather that having to reformat. I'm not guaranteeing this will work, but it does sometimes.