Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which to Buy

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 4:47:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Buy a 32 4:3 HD ready because most watching will be 4:3, and when used as
HD, picture should be about the same as the 32 16:9. If you buy 16:9 32
when used as 4:3 your picture will be about a 23 or 24 inch set.

More about : buy

Anonymous
October 7, 2004 4:47:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Dave & Mary" <dave.mary@cox.net> wrote in message
news:o qe9d.831$lp6.518@okepread01...
> Buy a 32 4:3 HD ready because most watching will be 4:3, and when used as
> HD, picture should be about the same as the 32 16:9.

More like about the same as a 29" 16:9, about 10% smaller.

32" diag on 4:3 is 25.6" H x 19.2" V (Pythagoras: 3:4:5)

If all 25.6 is used for the horizontal on a 16:9 image, then the vertical
size will be:

25.6 * (9/16) = 14.4"

Using Pythagoras a^2+b^2=c^2 the diagonal = 29.37"

> If you buy 16:9 32
> when used as 4:3 your picture will be about a 23 or 24 inch set.
>

More like about a 26" set.

A 32" 16:9 is 27.9" H x 15.7" V. If you use the entire vertical, the 4:3
picture will be 20.9" and the diagonal will be 26".

Brad Houser
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 6:40:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Dave & Mary wrote:
>
> Buy a 32 4:3 HD ready because most watching will be 4:3, and when used as
> HD, picture should be about the same as the 32 16:9. If you buy 16:9 32
> when used as 4:3 your picture will be about a 23 or 24 inch set.


A couple of 4:3 to 16:9 conversion mistakes...

A 32" 4:3 set would show a 29" 16:9 HD picture...

A 30" 16:9 HD set would show a 25" 4:3 picture....

My freebie & old Mini TK Solver saves the nonlinear equation day
Related resources
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 11:00:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Dave & Mary" <dave.mary@cox.net> done wrote:

> Buy a 32 4:3 HD ready because most watching will be 4:3

For now, but that's probably not the case in 2-4 years. A big percentage
of prime time shows are in HD WS _today_. Also almost all DVDs will
better utilize the WS.

>, and when used as
> HD, picture should be about the same as the 32 16:9.

This is incorrect. A 32" 4:3 set will have the equivalent 16:9 picture of
approximately a 29" 16:9 set. Very small in other words.

> If you buy 16:9 32
> when used as 4:3 your picture will be about a 23 or 24 inch set.

This is also incorrect. A 32" 16:9 set will have a 4:3 area equvialent of
about a 26" 4:3 set. Plus you have the option of using zoom and stretch
modes that many people like (not me).

Go with the widescreen.

--
Stein

.... but what about the children?
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 11:00:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Dave & Mary" <dave.mary@cox.net> wrote in message
news:o qe9d.831$lp6.518@okepread01...
> Buy a 32 4:3 HD ready because most watching will be 4:3, and when used as
> HD, picture should be about the same as the 32 16:9. If you buy 16:9 32
> when used as 4:3 your picture will be about a 23 or 24 inch set.

so we should forget this horseless carriage stuff and buy a new horse cart
as a investment in the past

virtually all DVD's are available widescreen
nearly all HD content is widescreen

zoom/stretch modes can nicely fit a 4:3 material onto a widescreen
high width movies that still letterbox and very viewable in 16:9 are a
virtually unwatchable slot on a letterbox 4:3

We buy an HD screen to see high resolution content - that content is
widescreen.
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 12:09:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 14:40:08 -0500, Dennis Mayer <Polaris1@execpc.com>
wrote:

>
>
>Dave & Mary wrote:
>>
>> Buy a 32 4:3 HD ready because most watching will be 4:3, and when used as
>> HD, picture should be about the same as the 32 16:9. If you buy 16:9 32
>> when used as 4:3 your picture will be about a 23 or 24 inch set.
>
>
> A couple of 4:3 to 16:9 conversion mistakes...
>
> A 32" 4:3 set would show a 29" 16:9 HD picture...
>
> A 30" 16:9 HD set would show a 25" 4:3 picture....
>
> My freebie & old Mini TK Solver saves the nonlinear equation day


Given a choice of 30" or 29" 16:9, I'd think the correct answer would
be to go with the 32" 4:3 set.

That can't be right can it ????

LOL.
October 8, 2004 3:30:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On 7 Oct 2004 19:00:47 GMT, Stein Hals <stein.news@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Dave & Mary" <dave.mary@cox.net> done wrote:
>
>> Buy a 32 4:3 HD ready because most watching will be 4:3
>
>For now, but that's probably not the case in 2-4 years. A big percentage
>of prime time shows are in HD WS _today_. Also almost all DVDs will
>better utilize the WS.

Yes, but spanking-new prime-time "big 4" network programming is only a
small fraction of what many people watch. Take your typical satellite
subscriber, for example.
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 4:18:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"dizzy" <dizzy@nospam.invalid> wrote

> Yes, but spanking-new prime-time "big 4" network programming is only a
> small fraction of what many people watch. Take your typical satellite
> subscriber, for example.

Well, the person who watches nothing but cable news shows should probably
not invest in an HDTV right now. But anyone who watches NFL or major
college football games or more than a few network prime shows or HBO
offerings is going to find that much of what he watches is in HD already and
MUCH improved over standard TV. In fact, for a TV football fan, the
football broadcasts justify the purchase of an HDTV -- the experience is so
much better.

mack
austin
October 8, 2004 6:28:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 00:18:42 GMT, "Mack McKinnon"
<MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote:

>"dizzy" <dizzy@nospam.invalid> wrote
>
>> Yes, but spanking-new prime-time "big 4" network programming is only a
>> small fraction of what many people watch. Take your typical satellite
>> subscriber, for example.
>
>Well, the person who watches nothing but cable news shows should probably
>not invest in an HDTV right now. But anyone who watches NFL or major
>college football games or more than a few network prime shows or HBO
>offerings is going to find that much of what he watches is in HD already and
>MUCH improved over standard TV. In fact, for a TV football fan, the
>football broadcasts justify the purchase of an HDTV -- the experience is so
>much better.

The point is, you may want to enjoy HDTV, enough to buy an HDTV even,
but your reality can be that most shows you watch are still 4:3. This
is not at all an uncommon situation, and it won't be uncommon a few
years from now, either.
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 10:04:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Dave & Mary" <dave.mary@cox.net> wrote in message
news:o qe9d.831$lp6.518@okepread01...
> Buy a 32 4:3 HD ready because most watching will be 4:3, and when used as
> HD, picture should be about the same as the 32 16:9. If you buy 16:9 32
> when used as 4:3 your picture will be about a 23 or 24 inch set.
>
>

Do the widescreen, because you want the 4:3 pic to be smaller, because it is
generally of lower resolution. Set you seating distance at about where the
4:3 programming still looks decent, and then your 16:9 stuff will be bigger
and still look good. Maximizing the size of standard def 4:3 while watching
smaller DVD or HD 16:9 is just plain backwards!
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 11:03:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:jv-dndxw1-Y6V_jcRVn-rA@comcast.com...
>
> so we should forget this horseless carriage stuff and buy a new horse cart
> as a investment in the past
>
> virtually all DVD's are available widescreen
> nearly all HD content is widescreen
>
> zoom/stretch modes can nicely fit a 4:3 material onto a widescreen
> high width movies that still letterbox and very viewable in 16:9 are a
> virtually unwatchable slot on a letterbox 4:3
>
> We buy an HD screen to see high resolution content - that content is
> widescreen.
>
========================
Well stated! 16:9 is the new standard.
Why would a person buy a 4:3 set so that the higher quality picture would be
small
and the LOW quality picture would be BIG?

Makes no sense.

We will not even go into the scam being perpetrated by pushing TIVO on
people when it will not even function in a year or
two...............................unless they build an ATSC receiver into
them.
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 11:49:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Richard C." <post-age@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:41669c68$0$28323$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com...

>
> We will not even go into the scam being perpetrated by pushing TIVO on
> people when it will not even function in a year or
> two...............................unless they build an ATSC receiver into
> them.

I own a Hughes branded Tivo with two ATSC tuners and two Direct TV tuners
built in...and it works flawlessly.
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 6:31:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"dizzy" <dizzy@nospam.invalid> wrote

> The point is, you may want to enjoy HDTV, enough to buy an HDTV even,
> but your reality can be that most shows you watch are still 4:3. This
> is not at all an uncommon situation, and it won't be uncommon a few
> years from now, either.

The point I have been trying to make is that this statement -- "most shows
you watch are still 4:3" -- will not apply, right now, today, to a great
number of TV viewers. A TV viewer who primarily watches major network pro
and college sports, network prime-time entertainment shows plus, perhaps,
HBO or Showtime, will find that most of the shows he or she watches are
broadcast in HD. I think that's probably a lot of the viewers out there.

mack
austin
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 10:10:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I have trouble basing a decision on old viewing habits and old content. As
each day passes, more and more widescreen HD content is being produced and
shown on broadcast/cable/satellite TV. In a few years (remember how long
you had your last TV) there will be TONS more HD and widescreen content.
Buy for the future, not the past. Thats my take anyway.

--Dan

"dizzy" <dizzy@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news:jbkbm0poh9qekqqkfd2j5toehdnskaq12k@4ax.com...
> On 7 Oct 2004 19:00:47 GMT, Stein Hals <stein.news@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >"Dave & Mary" <dave.mary@cox.net> done wrote:
> >
> >> Buy a 32 4:3 HD ready because most watching will be 4:3
> >
> >For now, but that's probably not the case in 2-4 years. A big percentage
> >of prime time shows are in HD WS _today_. Also almost all DVDs will
> >better utilize the WS.
>
> Yes, but spanking-new prime-time "big 4" network programming is only a
> small fraction of what many people watch. Take your typical satellite
> subscriber, for example.
>
!