NIC card upgrade ?

slick8

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Im using a standard 10/100 linksys nic card, if I upgrade to a 10/100/1000 card would I notice any improvement playing online games

Does your router support gigabit? (100/1000).

If you have a bunch of computers on your network then you may notice an increase in performance, however, you would not realistically see any difference while playing online.

Your connection to a game server should only be a few kb anyway, possibly 100 up/down.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Im using a standard 10/100 linksys nic card, if I upgrade to a 10/100/1000 card would I notice any improvement playing online games

Short answer: No.
Long answer: No because no game takes even a Mb, the only thing you could expect is a fraction of a millisecond lower ping and that wouldn't even be guaranteed. So unless you have a huge amount if traffic going in and out of your computer while you are gaming it isn't worth the money.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Your bandwidth to the internet with cable is about max 6Mb/sec. So that is your top speed. The only reason for a gigabit NIC is to move large files on a gigabit LAN. Other than that it's a bunch of hype.

shamoo

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
Your bandwidth to the internet with cable is about max 6Mb/sec. So that is your top speed. The only reason for a gigabit NIC is to move large files on a gigabit LAN. Other than that it's a bunch of hype.

Just to do some justice and save a tech support call to the isp
Zorg is right about only being around 6Mb/sec but thats down stream bandwidth upstream you should expect to see 300 to 600 Kb/sec

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004

Just to do some justice and save a tech support call to the isp
Zorg is right about only being around 6Mb/sec but thats down stream bandwidth upstream you should expect to see 300 to 600 Kb/sec

True, makes the whole gigabit ethernet even more useless. Everyone wants the hot setup, of course gigabit NICs are pretty ubiquitous these days.