router seems to have been hubified - has it been cracked?

Hi .... I've got a problem with my router.... I'm convinced it's been cracked, although I don't have any problems getting onto the internet...

The problem is that my pc is "on" the internet directly, so the router seems to be behaving like a hub or a switch, not a router.

My ip address is 83.xxx.xxx.xxx, rather than 192.168.1.xxx, like I would expect. Also it gives me no hope of accessing the administration app, which is normally on 192.168.1.1

It's a wrt54g v2.0.... and I'm afraid someone has cracked it and flashed the rom.

I've tried resetting it, setting my ip to 192.168.1.10 and pinging 192.168.1.1, but I get no result, except that it changes from "no route to destination" to "request timed out" when I power on the router. I can see the light flashing on the port activity too, when pings are being sent.

I even followed all the instructions on "Bricked! OR, How to Resurrect a Dead Linksys WRT54G", including shorting the pins, but it has made no difference!

Is it possible that my isp could insist that I have it this way? Is it some braindead Microsoft UPnP app that is doing this?

Any help much appreciated, as I'm very worried about being directly on the internet.... I don't trust my software firewall very much!!! :o(

/Michael

Other details: the DMZ led never lights. When resetting by holding the reset button for 30 seconds, the power light sometimes starts flashing permanently, until I reboot. Telnet to 192.168.1.1 80 times out.
5 answers Last reply
More about router hubified cracked
  1. And the cable/DSL modem is plugged into the Internet port? What happens if you connect only the PC? Do you get an IP address?

Grumpy
  2. If I disconnect from the internet (and reboot the router), I get the microsoft default configured ip address (169.xxx.xxx.xxx), and dhcp renew just hangs.

Just a thought..... I have set my pc firewall to strict - it is an f-secure.... I guess that could be blocking the return packets from ping.... I'll have to check that tonight..... If I disconnect the internet I can turn off the firewall.

But still.... I don't see how the router could have a 192.168.1.1 ip address, if the pc gets an internet ip.....
  3. I tried it with ADSL modem turned off.... no difference.

So... is it effectively bricked?
  4. Did you try setting your PC's IP address to 192.168.1.100 (Netmask 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.1.1) and opening a browser window to 192.168.1.1 to see if you can get into your router?

Grumpy
  5. Quote:
    Did you try setting your PC's IP address to 192.168.1.100 (Netmask 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.1.1) and opening a browser window to 192.168.1.1 to see if you can get into your router?

Grumpy

Yep (except I used 192.168.1.10 for my pc, but that makes no difference)....
    I tried with http and https... and I even tried with telnet on port 80 and 443, just to make sure.

Thanks for your help so far....

/Michael
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Internet Service Providers Internet Networking