Problem with HD and DVD-Rom recognition!!

Spielwurfel

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Yesterday everything was working fine here... But today, when I returned from school, the D: and E: drives dissapeared form my PC!! I mean, Windows is not showing these two drives on Windows Explorer! They are not listed anymore in Windows list of Hardware... I already checked the connection of it, but its Ok...

I can open and close the DVD-Rom tray, but it doesn't read DVD's or CD's... And other curious thing, is that the light that shows if the HD is being used is always on!! Although nothing is happening on my PC

I have two HD's on my PC... The main HD is working fine...

I already tried to restore Windows, but the problem remains!!

What can I do?? 8O

Spielwurfel

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
There's the problem!! As I said, the DVD-Rom and HD just dissapeared from Windows's list of Hardware! It's not on Device Mananger anymore! And Windows is not detecting both the DVD-Rom and HD! :eek:

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There's the problem!! As I said, the DVD-Rom and HD just dissapeared from Windows's list of Hardware! It's not on Device Mananger anymore! And Windows is not detecting both the DVD-Rom and HD! :eek:
He referred to your comp's IDE/ATAPI controller not the HD or DVD-ROM.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
If the Atapi Controller removal doesn't work, try this:

www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

You will need Visual Basic 6.0 installed first to run this patch.

BTW, am I getting the impression that you have a dvd player and a hard drive on the Secondary IDE connection? That would not be a good idea. We got away with that in pre-pentium, 486 days.

Describe to us "better" what your "C" "D" & "E" drives are, and how they are hooked up.

Also, tell us on that last day that everything worked, was there an installation (or two) or an update (or two) that took place?