8800 GTS 640 Help

Recently got an 8800 GTS 640MB and it was a pretty large jump from my ATI Radeon x1600. But in games like Quake 4 i'm still not seeing a performance jump at all. Things like the load time in Quake 4 is long (everything set to high and 2 GB Ram) and before i open a door theres always a second of stuttering. I wonder if its any thing else in my hardware that might be causing this:

AMD Athlon X2 5200+
BFG 8800 GTS 640MB
2GB Ram
Antec 400 Watt Powersupply
Windows Vista Home Premium
13 answers Last reply
More about 8800 help
  1. Could be Vista, can you try on XP?

Clean all video drivers, then install the proper ones from fresh.

Also close all programs, and needless tasks.
  2. power supply
  3. Quote:
    power supply

I was thinking the same. How many amps does that unit supply on the +12V rails? You may be a little low.
  4. certainly the PSU is not good for that X2 5200 and 8800 but it might be driver issue also like prozac26 said.
  5. yeah, im thinking of getting a new power supply too, but maybe drivers
  6. ROFL - this one is easy - Power supply - 400 watt :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mininmum is a 450 26amp 12v rail PSU.

Go for this , i can vouch for it as i own it A corsair HX 620 WATT modular power supply -3 rails -50A on the 12v rails .

8) Its very quiet and comes with a 5 year Warranty :D
  7. it's power supply man get aleast 500 watts which have 30 amps in rail
  8. Quote:
    ROFL - this one is easy - Power supply - 400 watt :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mininmum is a 450 26amp 12v rail PSU.

Go for this , i can vouch for it as i own it A corsair HX 620 WATT modular power supply -3 rails -50A on the 12v rails .

8) Its very quiet and comes with a 5 year Warranty :D

He doesn't even need the 620. The HX520 is just fine.
  9. Quote:
    Things like the load time in Quake 4 is long (everything set to high and 2 GB Ram) and before i open a door theres always a second of stuttering. I wonder if its any thing else in my hardware that might be causing this:

with the settings turned up it can take a little longer to load.

and as said before your power supply may be a little weak.
  10. how about this one: Antec TRUEPOWER TRIO 650W TP3 ATX12V 120MM FAN 4 SATA 2 PCIE FCC
  11. Thats a excellent choice. Triple +12V rails, boasts even enough power for a 8800GTX.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371001

Good luck :)
  12. thanks for your help. I bought it installed it and it improved performance a lot, but I think Nvidia still has some major driver issues to work out. Now i'm going to buy some ram.
  13. Quote:
    but I think Nvidia still has some major driver issues to work out. Now i'm going to buy some ram.

yes but with all new cards the drivers will catch up.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product