Windows XP SP2 Retail Vs. OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

sodaman420

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Okay, NEWEGG chat was pretty useless.
Can I get someone who isn't being paid to tell me the difference between OEM and retail PLEASE? :
tony: Hey, i was wondering, what's the difference between 'OEM' windows xp service pack two, and the 'retail' version?
tony: And why is one a higher price etc?
Marcela: Give me one moment please
tony: okie
Marcela: OEM is Original Equipment Merchandise from the manufacturer and the retail includes the documents needed and anything extra
tony: so.. if i'm building a new computer on my own, would i want OEM or retail?
Marcela: That I wouldn't be able to tell you. We cannot suggest or give advice on what to purchase
tony: so i guess OEM is for... a person who doesn't need a manual or something? Because i dont get the difference. :/
Marcela: Correct.
tony: allright. thanks
Marcela: You're welcome
Marcela: Do you have any other questions, or is there anything else I can assist you with today?
tony: nope im good, thanks.
:Freaking new egg....
Thanks,
-Tony

sodaman420

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Okay, i got 1-3, but for #4, does that mean if i have windows xp sp 1 or lower then it wont go up? I'm trying to put it on a new computer and be able to keep it updated. So im guessing retail is... probably a good idea?

JesterX

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
Okay, i got 1-3, but for #4, does that mean if i have windows xp sp 1 or lower then it wont go up? I'm trying to put it on a new computer and be able to keep it updated. So im guessing retail is... probably a good idea?

I assume you mean that if you install the OEM version, will you be able to apply service packs?
Yes, you can apply service packs and updates with the OEM version.

Who the heck needs a manual to know how to install XP, not to mention you could just ask questions here.

sodaman420

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Lol good point.
you guys= 10x better than m$

*edit*
and i save myself some money ,lol.

Now, the question, 32 or 64 bit? :-/
-Tony

JesterX

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
32bit! Less driver and compatibility headaches. Its not like any application really runs that much faster with XP x64.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
You're doing a new, fresh install. Go OEM; much cheaper.

I've seen OEM Pro SP1 for $76. Just make sure the seller states that it CAN be installed on any hardware.

Put yourself behind a hardware firewall (cable router). And, install your av before you go out for SP2.

Haku

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2005
Put yourself behind a hardware firewall (cable router). And, install your av before you go out for SP2.

Why do you have to be behind a firewall and install the AV first?

woodchuk

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
If you are constantly upgrading your rig and making a lot of changes, by all means spring the extra for the retail. According to MS you can install it over and over on any machine you like. In addition, if you have some used hard drive you want to use the retail will format it.

The OEM is great if you have one machine and plan no changes. It is fussy on formatting since it leaves the boot sector as it was; if you have boot sector corruption you have to do a lot of work to fix it
Actually MS will reactivate your OEM if you change the MB but you need to speak to a MS rep to do it over the phone with the toll free number.

Otherwise the 2 are identical. It is preferable to have the latest edition of either one with updates unless you know how to create a slipstream disk.
-MS system builder

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Officially Microsoft says that the OEM is legally bound to the original PC which for them means the original motherboard on which it is installed. Any change in motherboard (other than for repair purposes) requires that you purchase a new OEM copy.

My question is that in practice, does microsoft ever actually say no when you have to call to reactivate an OEM copy after a motherboard upgrade?

Do they ever question whether its for the purposes of repair?

woodchuk

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
That is exactly correct, they haven't given anyone a bad time as far as I can tell. Now if you were to change major components once a week, they might balk. They consider the motherboard to be the heart of the computer and will never refuse other component upgrades, only a valid # is required.
Common sense says if your MB frys or becomes hopelessly outdated you shouldn't be liable to buy a new OS so they are loose on the issue. Good thing too.

Archangel401

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Thank you. I would say this is a piece of Information.

Even I am thinking to install Windows XP to new System, but not sure, it can be installed in hi-fi laptops like "alien ware" Probably I have to do Experiments at cost of my money :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.