jeepofdarkness

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
After I have been running my computer for a half a day I try to power off and my computer will not power off. Sometimes it will take 5 minutes to shutdown or it will not shutdown at all. I have spyware and virus scans and it turns up negative. Do you think it is hardware problem or software? I open to any feed back..

Thank you for any help

jeepofdarkness

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I cannot recall doing anything new to the computer. It just sort of started happening. I did do registry check with norton's at one time (system works) it came up with over a hundred errors . It repaired all of the errors. I have done a clean install on the computer before. one message I did get was registry was corrupt while downloading SP2. I believe that was from a spammer vender.

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
What is your system?
Is it Compaq or HP? They had an issue with the keyboard driver file like what you described.

Look for updates for your OS, drivers, and Mfg.. Get everything recent and see if that helps.

sturm

Splendid
before you shut down, close all programs running in the systray by the clock. Try a shut down. If it hangs then reboot and once again shut down all programs in the sys tray and also shut down as many programs in the task list. Usually you can shut down any program that is under your login name under the "User Name" column. Dont do system, local service or network service programs.
Try to shut down. If it goes fine then you have a program hanging. Reboot and try one program at a time. I know it will take some time but process of elimination will give you the program thats causing the problem.