Just ordered! Should come here next monday! Cant wait to build

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
4x1GB PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz
Intel 975X Chipset ATX
2x320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA II
Corsair 520 Watt PSU
Samsung Lightscribe SATA 18xDVD+/-R/RW/
Antec Nine Hundred Case
(Cant decide wither to put 32 or 64 bit Vista on either)

Sticking with my old radeon X1600 untill the new DX10 radeon cards come out (unless they need more than 520W i dont know, then ill get a x1950XTX when they drop abit), also sticking with my old sound card until i can buy the razer headset and soundcard!

Bobsama

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Very good; just get a DX10 card once they come out and you'll have an Grade A computer. Watch out with the more mainstream DX10 cards; you have a high-end system, minus the graphics card (arguably most important aspect).

64-bit Vista will be necessary to use all 4GB of RAM. Also, I would have gone with DDR2 800 RAM as the E6600 can get above 3GHz (333*9). I would also have gone with a different case; the XClio A380 or Windtunnel have much better airflow.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Looks good, but I'd try to get DDR800 RAM as its not that much more expensive.

Don't bother with an X1950XTX, go for the 8800GTS if you have to since it's faster.

@Bobsama: about the 4GB-32bit conflict, I thought that the OS would be able to access all 4GB, it just wouldn't show all of it. Can't say for sure, since my current PC has only 1GB.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I can certainly appreciate your enthusiasm. Truly.

But I am always amused by "Rate my rig!" posts.......what if we say you should have gotten a different PSU, for example..........are you gonna send it back? LOL.

It's done and ordered, no changing it now. Asking after the fact is kinda silly when you think about it. Like I said, love your enthusiasm, but it's a bit.......misguided.

That being said, very decent specs there. Good luck with 64-bit Vista drivers, you'll need it. Driver H-E-L-L.

AeroB1033

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
That X1600 is definitely going to be holding you back if you're a gamer. Good rig other than that, though. Any particular reason you're so keen on the R600? I always think it's a bit silly to wait on hardware or pricings that are months off and untested, personally.

Also, why are people recommending 64-bit Windows so much these days? The driver and software support is just not there yet. Only a very few programs are even optimized for 64-bit, and there are some very serious incompatibilites (such as with almost all major virus scanning programs). The performance increase would be marginal at best and certainly not worth the sacrifices you have to make to get it.

Saucey

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
I agree about the 64bit vista, im going to wait until drivers are easier to find. Just go with the 32 for the moment.

The ram... i previously had 2gb of 667 ram so i decided to stick to getting 2 more.

The graphics card, i cant afford to buy a new card at the moment. So i will have to wait, the longer i wait the sooner the new cards are to coming out. So i might as well save for a new card and then put that in!

Also, i posted this after ording mainly for peace of mind! This is the first computer that i will be building and am not 100% confident!

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
Seems solid, and your PS should be fine for the DX10 ATI cards .... whenever they show up. If the new ATIs need additional juice, there are some 5 1/4" drive bay power supplies you might use to augment your video power needs. Just something to keep in mind.

Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS