Installing foreign languages

suma

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
When trying to install east asian languages (Chinese, Japanese,etc) I get a prompt that reads "The file 'xjis.nls' on Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM is needed."

But placing the XP Home CD-ROM in the drive doesn't do anything. The drive runs for a few seconds and the same prompt reappears.

Has anyone experienced this? Can anyone offer help or a solution?

Thanks

MDRazor

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
To install foreign languages (by foreign I mean japanese, chinese, corean...), you must have winxp language packs cd, because these languages aren't on the winxp installation cd

suma

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Is your XP CD a full version or some sort of cut down one that came with the PC ?

I bought my laptop at a retail shop in Hong Kong. It came with an English XP Home edition CD.

It also came with a Chinese XP Home edition CD. But I've never used this CD.

suma

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Try this link:

www.worldfuturefund.org/wffmaster/Reading/Utilities/XP%20AND%20FOREIGN%20LANGUAGES.htm

Thanks for the link.

I followed the directions but I still get the same prompt. I also tried installing 'complex left to right languages' just to see what would happen, and it told me that it could not find another file it needed for these languages.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
That file is inside the i386 directory in unextracted form xjis.nl_

The tool to expand it can be found there as well: expand

Copy them both to a temp folder, and extract the file. You probably have to do this in a DOS window (command prompt).

suma

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
That file is inside the i386 directory in unextracted form xjis.nl_

The tool to expand it can be found there as well: expand

Copy them both to a temp folder, and extract the file. You probably have to do this in a DOS window (command prompt).

I'm not a DOS pro or anything. Could you give instructions for someone who doesn't really know what they're doing?

Thanks.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Start - Run - cmd

Navigate to the place where you copied the files.

expand xjis.nl_

Now if you try the language installs again, you can tell it where that file is.

suma

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Start - Run - cmd

Navigate to the place where you copied the files.

expand xjis.nl_

Now if you try the language installs again, you can tell it where that file is.

How exactly do I copy the files? Thanks.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Get someone more savvy to help you, and tell them to read this whole thread.

If you don't know how to copy a file from one place to another, this forum is not for you to handle alone. Get help from somebody physically near you.