Sign in with
Your question

new network causing boot lag

Last response: in Networking
December 22, 2003 11:03:35 PM

hi guys,

just set up a home network (4 win XP pro 100/10MBit athlon xp machines), and since creating the network, there is a lag of about 20-30 seconds when windows boots up and no programs are very responsive, i read that it is caused by windows searching for scheduled tasks on other computers, and the symptoms matched mine, so recklessly deleted a registry key, this doesnt seem to have made any difference, does anyone know what may be causing this very annoying lag?

p.s. there is no internet connection sharing and the network does actually work after this annoying delay.

thanks for any comments

Did you know: pressing the print screen request key (in winXP at least) takes a screen capture and saves it to clipboard, alt and print reqest takes an image of highlighted window.
December 23, 2003 9:08:58 PM

are you assigning IP address to each computer or is there a router in the mix that is doing it. Sometimes the slow down is caused by windows tring to get an IP address.
Is the problem on all the computers or just one?
December 25, 2003 9:33:18 PM

hi

i dont know much at all about networking so i'm not sure i am assigning an ip or not (dont worry i am generally good on computers though), i havent as far as i know. I have a netgear 5 port hub which all computers are connected to (is this similar in function to a router?), and yes all comuters have same delay.

Interesting that you say windows may be trying to find an ip address, as i have a hauppauge win tv-nova digital tv card which is seen as a network card for some crazy reason, and since i set up the network if i start the tv card up to early after boot it says something along the lines of having an error getting an ip address, but if i wait for about 30 seconds it is perfectly ok (like the network itself).

also, someone recommended to someone else that setting all cards to 100mbit full duplex (rather than to auto) may help a similar problem, i did this and it hasnt made any difference.

thanks for responding

just say if i havent made something clear

Did you know: pressing the print screen request key (in winXP at least) takes a screen capture and saves it to clipboard, alt and print reqest takes an image of highlighted window.
Related resources
December 25, 2003 10:48:36 PM

after considering what you said i attempted to assign an ip address to each computer - success!! it is very responsive now, thanks for the advice.

one other thing - as its a home network on a dialup security is hardly a problem, so i have been trying to share files, one computer can access the others shared files ok, but the other cant access it at all, ("\\computername is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource........access denied"), the odd thing is that i am sure both computers have identical settings yet this happens, windows helps seems to think that just by sharing a file on the computer will make it accessible from other computers, but this doesnt seem to be the case always, any ideas?, i guess i am probably doing something stupid, but at least i am learning!.

thanks again

December 27, 2003 3:44:40 PM

Only routers assign IP address's. The hub is just connecting the computers, no IP adressing. So yes in your case you needed to assign an ip address to each computer. Glad it worked.
Do you have file shareing enabled on both computers. You may need to set a folder or drive to be shared on both computers. To share the whole drive: In my computer right click the drive and select 'sharing and security', check 'share this folder on the network', assign name or just drive letter, and also check 'allow network users to change my files' if you choose.
That should allow both computers to access each others files.
You can also do this with just a directory. Same procedure I believe: right click the folder, select 'sharing and security' and assign a name:
Hope this helps.
!