BruceThief37

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
I know what a directory is --- I guess --- though Wndows Help does not offer an answer! Folders it does and Folders I understand. But what is a SUB-directory?

PaintShopPro tutorials tells us to save Plugins to a specially named sub-directory of the PSP directory. It warns us against saving to the PSP (main) directory. I do not even have a PSP directory --- let alone a sub-directory even supposing I knew what one was.

My Computer can be explored, the PSP icon found, rightclicking and Properties states that it is a FOLDER --- and by definition a folder is certainly not a directory. I run XP and PSPv7 10th Anniversary not the emasculated ordinary v7. Any ideaz plz & thanx, Bruce +++

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
In all flavors of Windows, Directories and Folders are synonymous.

A sub-directory is a "folder" INSIDE of an existing directory.

For example: Inside the Windows folder (directory) are many other folders like Fonts, Help, System.

Keep it simple; they mean the same.

DOS = Directory

Windows = Folder

Folder = Directory

It's that simple. Folders were called directories in DOS, and directories are called folders in Windows. This came about in Windows 95, I think... though it may have been so in earlier versions of Windows... it's been so long I don't remember anymore.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
C:|WINDOWS|SYSTEM

"Windows" is the main "directory" (or, "parent folder")
"System" is the "Sub-Directory" (or, "Child Folder") of "Windows"

TRENDING THREADS