Moving to New Comp, Upgrading XP

BroccoliKills

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
This is probably a total newb question, but have patience.

OK, I have an old Dell right now which came with XP Home pre-installed. I am about to take the plunge and build my own computer from scratch next month, and would like to get XP PRO for the new one with an Upgrade Version.

Here's what I'm confused about: I don't have an actual WinXP cd, just a cd from Dell that says "Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition. Only use this CD to reinstall the Operating System on a Dell Computer. This CD is not for installation of programs or drivers." So I am guessing this will not install XP Home on my new computer? If it won't install Home, then the Upgrade Version of Pro won't install Pro on my new computer, will it, since it will just be installing rather than upgrading?

So how do I install an Upgrade Version of Pro on my new comp?

Thanks for your help.

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
You can't.

When you bought the dell computer the windows operating system was OEM (manufacturers installation) and you only bought a license for the Dell computer. It isn't meant to be installed on your new system. Nor is it Legal to do so.

also on computers such as dell, Compaq, HP their installation creates a partition on your hard drive (usually labeled drive D) That is specific to the computer manufacturer.

Your best bet is to buy a new copy of windows XP pro.

BroccoliKills

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Well, that sucks. Oh well.

One more thing. If I buy my XP Pro as OEM from newegg, are there any disadvantages other than having to buy it again when I build another computer in a couple years?

sturm

Splendid
Oem from newegg is just like retail version except you only get the disk, no manual or help material.
As far as when you build a new computer you can legally install the oem version on that new computer if you wipe the old installation off the old computer.