dixiedarlin

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
I am trying to upgrade my slow Dell Dimension 2400 desktop comp with a new motherboard and processor. I currently have a OC2425 mobo with 845 chipset 533 mhz and Intel onboard graphics and sound. My processor is Pentium 4 2.53 ghz with 512k memory. I want to be able to buy a board and processor and the slots fit and the whole thing runs stable and able to do gaming and surf internet. I have hughes net satellite internet and it drags all the time, my computer is about 3 or 4 years old, dont want to scrap it just want to upgrade if I can, I have looked at the mobo and processors on New Egg and found some good ones but before I buy want to see if you have any suggestions, I want to buy Intel if I can and I was looking at the Core Duo 2 processor. I want to know also if my other components will hook in to a new mobo and processor, I guess what I am getting around to is how difficult will all this be?? Not too worried about budget as I am worried about what it will do to my computer?? :lol:

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I believe the Dell 2400 is a smaller case that the Mid ATA and if so, the first issue is finding a mobo that will fit. You may have to get a micro board. Also, some Dells have a proprietary power supply and if your's does, you'll need to get another one. Rather than trying to use that case, I would suggest that you increase the memory to 1GB, which will definitely speed things up. 2nd, if the hard drive is not 7200 RPM, and I'm guessing it's 5600 RPM, I'd get a new hard drive, which will also help. You could either get 512MB stick of RAM, make sure it's the same as what you have or junk what's in there and just get a 1GB stick of RAM. Cost of RAM and hard drive would be about $150 give or take. Then save enough to build a new machine and keep the Dell as a second machine. Generally upgrading the RAM and hard drive of an old computer makes the most sense. The 2400 was an entry level Dell and if it's 3 to 4 years old, probably not worth using any of the parts in a new machine. You should be able to get the memory and hard drive specs by going into your Dell account and looking up your machine.

dixiedarlin

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
About a year ago my mother-in-law's comp was struck by lightning, they put in a new mobo and processor and modem and that was it, it seems to work better than the dell did. She has a dimension 2350, when the guy got done with her comp he told her there was nothing left Dell in that computer but the logo on the front. Is that possible?? I get what you are saying about upgrading the ram and hard drive only, but why not the mobo and processor? They put a gigabyte mobo and amd processor in hers, I don't want that just want Intel products. Hers seems to work fine but she doesnt do alot of gaming. She plays games online and it works fine for that but my husband and my son play these games that need good graphics and sound. That's why I wanted to change the mobo, would the ram upgrade and hd upgrade help with that too??

jamiepotter

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
It's not worth upgrading. If you're getting a new motherboard and CPU, you're basically just getting a new computer. You'd need new RAM, and a graphics card, for instance, and probably a new hard drive.

Just get a new computer. Depending on the games you/your relations wish to play, you'll need to invest in a graphics card as opposed to integrated graphics (which is what you currently have). What sort of games do you wish to play?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
They definitely could have installed a new mobo, cpu, etc in her Dell case and you could as well but you will need to get a new mobo, Processor, and memory because the memory you have will not work will a new Intel or AMD mobo. Given the machine is 3 to 4 years old, it would be advisable to get a new hard drive, although you could use the old one. Again, if it's only 5400 RPM, it will definitely slow things down. You could also use your old CD ROM drive but given a new DVD Burner would cost about $30, you could get a new one. Basically, replacing the mobo, CPU, and memory is pretty much building a new computer in that these are the high cost items. Unless you get an onboard graphics card you'll need a new one because the one you have in the Dell will not fit a new mobo. You can get a nice case for about $50 or really good one for about $100, so your not really adding a huge cost getting a new case. Here are examples of cases both of which come with good Power Supplies although the second is better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147054
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129155

My thing with kids and computers is that I don't want them using mine, kids are virus/spyware magnets. :) What I do is give them my old one and build a new one for myself.

Just getting a new drive and increasing the memory on the Dell would make it better for games. With games especially, the graphic card is also important but you're looking at $100 or more for a decent graphic card.

I know you said you wanted Intel but AMD prices are dropping big time and there should be another drop in a couple of weeks. Regardless of whether you want to use the Dell case or get a new one, what you get will depend on your budget and how you use the machine, e.g,. do you have a camcorder, will you overclock, what kind of games do you play? If you give us your budget and how you will use the machine, we can make some suggestions. If you do decide you want to use the Dell box, measure the mobo, length and width. A Mciro ATX will be about 9.6 by 8.6, an ATX will be about 12.0 by 8.6 or so. As for putting it together, there would really be no difference whether you used the Dell case or a new one, the only advantge of a new one is that the documentation might be better. Putting a computer together is very easy and the instructions that come with most mobo are generally very good. Plus, if you put it together yourself, your geek cred with your son and his friends will go way up. :)