Newcomer's problem

June 25, 2005 1:25:10 AM

Hi, I just received my new Dell Axim X30 with Wi-Fi & Bluetooth.

I have all kind of problems. Could anybody help?

- After a Soft Reset, an error message comes up, telling me that it can't
find "Restart.exe" or one of its component.

- When I click on the Explore Device icon on my desktop (after
synchronization is complete through USB connection), I get the following
error message: Failed to start remote services. "Critical communications
services have failed to start. Try resetting the mobile device, and connect
again."

- For two days, I am unable to connect to the internet, with either
Bluetooth, or Wi-Fi. Both system recognizes the desktop computer, the
signal strength is good, but if I try to set up an Internet connection, the
palmtop complains that service is not installed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

More about : newcomer problem

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 1:59:31 AM

Since it is brand new, assuming you do not have a lot of
data/contacts/etc, I would "hard reset" it (all data and files added
since new will be deleted and device returned to "factory default")

See the paper manual for the hard reset sequence.

If you still have the problem after you execute a hard reset, the
hardware is defective and should be returned.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 3:02:29 AM

try updating the ROM if there is an update for it. or try hard reseting it.

give me the specs of the device and and/or a link to a page with that info
on it and i'll try to find a better way to fix it for you.

"Istvan TAKATS" <takats@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hi, I just received my new Dell Axim X30 with Wi-Fi & Bluetooth.
>
> I have all kind of problems. Could anybody help?
>
> - After a Soft Reset, an error message comes up, telling me that it can't
> find "Restart.exe" or one of its component.
>
> - When I click on the Explore Device icon on my desktop (after
> synchronization is complete through USB connection), I get the following
> error message: Failed to start remote services. "Critical communications
> services have failed to start. Try resetting the mobile device, and
> connect
> again."
>
> - For two days, I am unable to connect to the internet, with either
> Bluetooth, or Wi-Fi. Both system recognizes the desktop computer, the
> signal strength is good, but if I try to set up an Internet connection,
> the
> palmtop complains that service is not installed.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>

> Steve

June 25, 2005 7:06:29 AM

"Istvan TAKATS" <takats@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hi, I just received my new Dell Axim X30 with Wi-Fi & Bluetooth.
>
> I have all kind of problems. Could anybody help?
>
> - After a Soft Reset, an error message comes up, telling me that it can't
> find "Restart.exe" or one of its component.
>
> - When I click on the Explore Device icon on my desktop (after
> synchronization is complete through USB connection), I get the following
> error message: Failed to start remote services. "Critical communications
> services have failed to start. Try resetting the mobile device, and
> connect
> again."
>
> - For two days, I am unable to connect to the internet, with either
> Bluetooth, or Wi-Fi. Both system recognizes the desktop computer, the
> signal strength is good, but if I try to set up an Internet connection,
> the
> palmtop complains that service is not installed.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

How about some moral support. Hang in there, it keeps getting easier. :-)

....and there is lots of fun and productivity to be had.

> Steve

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 12:57:28 PM

Hi Beverly,

Thanks for your advice.

This morning I have re-installed ActiveSync, made a hard reset on my pocket
PC, but I still have the same problems.

I will take your advice, and Monday morning will call Dell about these
problems.

Thanks very much for all who replied...

Steve

message news:#aTvpHTeFHA.1684@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Since it is brand new, assuming you do not have a lot of
> data/contacts/etc, I would "hard reset" it (all data and files added
> since new will be deleted and device returned to "factory default")
>
> See the paper manual for the hard reset sequence.
>
> If you still have the problem after you execute a hard reset, the
> hardware is defective and should be returned.

June 25, 2005 1:00:31 PM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:25:10 -0400, "Istvan TAKATS"
<takats@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Hi, I just received my new Dell Axim X30 with Wi-Fi & Bluetooth.
>
>I have all kind of problems. Could anybody help?
>
>- After a Soft Reset, an error message comes up, telling me that it can't
>find "Restart.exe" or one of its component.

I'd go with Beverly's suggestion, especially as you say it's new and
therefore won't have much installed yet. DO a hard reset. Press the
on/off button while you press the reset (small hole in the back of the
unit.

If that doesn't solve it, return the unit, it's faulty.

--
Bryan Bellis.
Don't hit REPLY to email me, my spam trap will

http://www.pcdr.co.uk/taxmaster

To email me, go to this web page link:
http://www.pcdr.co.uk/spam/antispam.html
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:14:50 PM

Hello I have owned a Dell x3 for 2 years now and i had a screen problem were
you had to put an inordinary amount of pressure to input to it , well i just
thought it was dells design but when the screen started showing bad scratch
marks were i write lol i new i had a problem .
point being I Called Dell and they sent me a new x3 without battery ot
stylus within 2 days.

you should not have to do any of the things above you have missing or
corrupted files and you cant do a hard reset everytime something happens you
need soft reset!
Call them and tell them the problems and have them replace the unit. they
didnt give me a single problem.
And i think your interaction will be the same . when you buy new unit it
should work properly without flaws and i cant count how many times ive had
to soft reset the problem isnt yours to repair.
Good Luck
Striker68

!