Sign in with
Your question

Cheapest computer store to pickup video cards in Australia?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 28, 2007 1:53:31 AM

Hi Guys,
I recognise that there are a number of aussies in this forum so i just wanted to ask if anyone has found any cheap places that will either ship to sydney or around the sydney area i can pickup cheap gfx cards?i mean besides msy and fluidtek & umart ?or even anywhere i can pick up cheap 2nd hand video cards dont particularly mind any thoguhts or suggestions?
March 28, 2007 5:14:12 AM

ok i guess there aren't any aussies lol anyone here have any ideas at all? :D 
March 28, 2007 6:12:57 AM

Im sure there are a few of us but were all at work!

Have you tried StaticIce ?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 28, 2007 6:59:26 AM

For starters, fluidtek isnt that cheap they just got lots of deals. And their site stinks, to find if they got something you gotta hope its in the thursday specials. MSY you wait to long in a line if you get pickup. Umart I think are good. But yea as suggested b4 try StaticIce

Every place is good for different items so answering you question isnt easy.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie... (somebody finish it please)
March 28, 2007 7:05:59 AM

itestate.com.au
March 28, 2007 12:18:41 PM

Quote:
For starters, fluidtek isnt that cheap they just got lots of deals. And their site stinks, to find if they got something you gotta hope its in the thursday specials. MSY you wait to long in a line if you get pickup. Umart I think are good. But yea as suggested b4 try StaticIce

Every place is good for different items so answering you question isnt easy.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie... (somebody finish it please)

Oi Oi Oi! - staticice is great lol, especially how it can find typos in pricing then you order before they can change it so you get loads off. i got a creative zen vision m 60gb for $300 instead of $360.

MSY is good, if you know EXACTLY what you want, and you pre-order and you get there early, they are cheap but very busy.
March 28, 2007 10:43:35 PM

depends when you go to msy i work right next door to it so i can go anytime i work at the accs building for repairing mobile phones lol
March 28, 2007 10:47:22 PM

4 $239.00 256MB MSI RX1950PRO-T2D256E ATI Radeon X1950Pro 2XDVI X1950 Pro PCI-Express...
MSY (NSW, VIC) | www.msy.com.au | updated: 29-03-2007
5 $239.00 Video Card PCI-e (ATI) X1950Pro 256MB HIS
IT Estate (NSW) | www.itestate.com.au | updated: 29-03-2007

which one you reckon guys?ive heard HIS has really good HSF they are both the same price but where is itestate?do they only deliver do they?
March 28, 2007 11:28:26 PM

While the prices at umart are good, i hate the customer service, Took em 1 hour to find my purchase (a shit water cooling kit). MSY tend to sell stuff at teh same prices as Umart +/- $5, but because they are not as busy they tend to get your orders quicker. Other good shops are little one that don't really have websites, like computerguru (they have the most pointless site ever) but they chagre a little more, but you get better warenties etc etc.

Also herd good stuff bout computer alliance.

bLAKE
March 28, 2007 11:30:14 PM

Australia is the best country in the galaxy having said that I use Gamedude http://www.gamedude.com.au/.

Thier prices are generally pretty good and they do COD which is great if you don't trust yourself enough for a credit card (like me).

Only thing is thier based on the Gold Coast so I don't know if shipping to Sydney would cancel out any cost benefit or not.

Worth a look anyway.
March 28, 2007 11:47:04 PM

Yea I'm Aussie, but I buy all my stuff from our suppliers, as I get a staff discount for being the Computer Tech. :) 
Not always the cheapest way, but very quick and much easier to organise replacement under warranty. :) 
March 28, 2007 11:52:43 PM

LOL I had a TANDY 1000 HX it had 64 Kb of RAM and no harddrive
March 29, 2007 12:00:42 AM

Just a warning before using gamedude. Read these reviews:
http://www.shopferret.com.au/buy/~l-m__m-r__s-1954.html

I would definitely go to an MSY store if there's one near you. Otherwise check out shopbot.com.au or shopferret.com.au these two sites will find the lowest prices for you by searching other online sites.
March 29, 2007 12:08:14 AM

Wow! real power. I was drooling over the one I bough for 6 months all more.
Here's the link. TRS 80 Power machine

Just out of school had to hit my mum to go reference on the loan application.
Cost me $899.00 at the time. 8O That was a lot of money for 1979.
:lol:  :lol: 
March 29, 2007 1:07:17 AM

LOL just had a look at the wiki(your link didn't work) do you still have it ?
Would be worth money in a museum or something, My mobile phone is a super computer compared to it.

1.77 MHZ woo hoo
March 29, 2007 1:51:04 AM

Try this. :oops:  my fault. I had the Model 1.
I sold it to my father and I think he's still got it.
If I remember rightly it stopped working about 10 years ago. Our family tend to horde things.

TRS 80 (I Hope)
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2007 2:10:58 AM

Quote:
Australia is the best country in the galaxy

WRONG!!!!

Its the only country in the galaxy, the universe even!
March 29, 2007 2:22:43 AM

Correct, however I feel I should inform some of our less knowledgable viewers that the Western part of Australia is significantly better than the rest :D 
March 29, 2007 2:30:45 AM

that could prove to be a somewhat contentious statement
March 29, 2007 2:34:48 AM

Haha, always good to have a bit of East vs West rivalry...it's what makes footy so good, love to beat the Vics, especially Collingwood.

Go the Eagles
:p 
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2007 2:57:58 AM

Westerners eugh... :roll:
March 29, 2007 3:03:33 AM

I reckon we should secede......
March 29, 2007 3:31:16 AM

I don't care much for state diffs. I Live in NSW, came from Vic. (still have family's in Vic) and have family living in QLD. Also have reles in Tas and I think even one in WA. All our state governments only care about the Capital Cities anyway.

As for Football, I've only ever been a Carlton supporter so I follow the club not the state. Go Blues. :D 
March 29, 2007 3:33:46 AM

lol ive started something terrible it seems :p  east vs west anyway the cheapest and best option seems to be MSY as they are selling MSI x1950pro for $239 which i think is a steal a bit much to spend though im also trying to look for a sub $200 7900gs as i hear they are good overclockers.....what do you guys reckon of the 1650xt as they are on sale at MSY for 155?or should i save the extra dosh and get the 1950?decisions decisions decisions........
anyway while i got all the aussies in one topic where is everyone from im a sydney sider near auburn msy.
:D 
March 29, 2007 3:34:17 AM

Yeah I'm not really too fussed, am just bored at work and thought I'd stir a bit :wink: Am actually off to Melbourne for a couple of weeks soon for a holiday, am staying with a mate who works for the Saints and am just gonna watch live footy games all weekend :) 
March 29, 2007 3:36:12 AM

oh and btw has anyone found any stores or good auctions that sell 2nd hand or OEM or something like that computer parts in sydney?
March 29, 2007 3:40:35 AM

Which Umart are you guys refering to

http://www.umart.com.au/
or
http://www.umart.net/au/

I am assuming the former (the second one's website is crap).

BTW
What is Victoria??? Proof that a Tasmanian can swim
What is South Australia??? Proof that a Victorian can walk
What is Western Australia??? Bloody glad they have the Nullarbor!!!! :) 

(While I am currently in Brisbane, I still have to say - GO THE EAGLES!!!)
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2007 4:15:06 AM

I spent $300 on my x1950 pro about 1.5 months ago! And its only a powercolor!
March 29, 2007 4:21:13 AM

Lived in Melbourne for 14 years. Great place to vist, personally I didn't like living there. :( 
Got stressed out to much. Moved to Country NSW. Only complaint I have now is all the cheap Computer shops are in the big smokes. :( 

I've visited ever state and territory except WA and Tassie. Will get to both one day.

In NSW we call Victorians "Mexicans" :lol: 
and Queenslanders "banana benders" :lol: 
Tasmanians something about having 2 heads :lol: 
South Aussies are Crow eaters :lol: 

Can anyone come up with anymore?
March 29, 2007 4:31:34 AM

http://www.umart.net.au is the one on liverpool rd in sydney also close to me :p 

the .com.au one is for the other umarts around australia but clicking on the nsw stuffs u cuz its the old site dont use it!
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2007 4:40:22 AM

Quote:

Tasmanians something about having 2 heads :lol: 

No question as to why that is... :lol: 

NSW all the way! Shame about the government tho.
March 29, 2007 5:28:47 AM

I reckon they should just get rid of the state governments and make the local councils more professional. Whoops did I really just say that. :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2007 9:02:00 AM

Local councils and professional should never be in the same sentence. Or the same paragraph for that matter. I think we should get rid of all governments, I mean, do they really run the country? All they do is argue and rage under the banner of parliament. Bunch of old farts that are to afraid to share their emotions when outside of parliament's "freedom of speech" protection. And they get lifetime pensions for it!
March 29, 2007 10:08:41 AM

I think we need our own category in this forum ,so we dont have to put up with all the yanks.At least I know where to buy my computer stuff now ,well done DRUSSTHECRAZY.
GO THE CROWS
March 29, 2007 10:19:50 AM

What we really need to do is get an Aussie (that we can trust) into the US so we can do some parallel importing! The ddr2 mem prices here vs Newegg are disgusting.

I'll be in HI in april, any one want Vista Ultimate at 399 US?
March 29, 2007 12:19:47 PM

thanks bloodyidiot lol must say thought i agree with randomizer too many bloody politicians in australia half of em should be culled and how labour won again ill never know theyve been running state government into the ground in nsw.......much appreciated with all the help guys it seems it depends on what your buying but overall ive found msy to be the cheapest and easiest warranty returns...but as i said earliar does anyone know of any good 2nd hand computer markets?really hard to find in sydney dont really feel like forking out another $240 for an x1950pro rather get a 2nd hand 7900gs and overclock the crap outta her :D  :D 

GO THE RABBITOHS!!!!!!

(eerie silence) :p 
March 29, 2007 12:35:42 PM

Quote:
What we really need to do is get an Aussie (that we can trust) into the US so we can do some parallel importing! The ddr2 mem prices here vs Newegg are disgusting.

One of the computer building companies in Perth used to (allegedly) import smaller parts (RAM, HD etc...) within computer cases - and not declare them to avoid import duties... And if memory serves (this was years ago), this was the same company that tried to get customers to pay GST after they had brought parts (company stuffed up and didn't advertise prices as plus GST) - hence they had to pay it themselves :D 
March 29, 2007 2:37:28 PM

Great Post. Although a few of us got of the road abit. :oops:  It nice to talk to people who at least understand what I'm talking about :) 

By the way DrussTheCrazy although I an AFL man, both my wife and myself have half an eye on the RABBITOHS, we like the under dogs, or should I say the under rabbits. :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2007 3:38:01 AM

Quote:
really hard to find in sydney dont really feel like forking out another $240 for an x1950pro rather get a 2nd hand 7900gs and overclock the crap outta her :D  :D 

Dont complain mine was $300 for a cheapo brand. :cry: 

@Everyone: We need to start an Aussie hardware forum, one that has the words "Newegg" and "Tigerdirect" banned. No more currency conversions! And no more dodgy THG reviews! 8) (waits for an "amen")
March 30, 2007 4:35:20 AM

where in NSW ? Im in Lismore unfortunatly
March 30, 2007 5:38:24 AM

Leeton, Its Between Griffith and Narrandera. Southern NSW's
:D  Love the place
March 30, 2007 6:39:54 AM

OMFG! im from griffith, nsw, lol, chances of that? slim to nil, lol, im actually form beelbangera :p  lol

if you wanna see me, pop into clickstart IT (thats where i work, lol)
March 30, 2007 2:26:24 PM

O no the Enemy! :lol:  I work at Ezone in Leeton, there's only 2 PC stores over here and were always competing against the stores in Griffith that advertise more than us. (Personally I don't care, I've got more than enough work to keep me busy, but the bosses always want more) :D 

To much work means I don't get much time the read the Forumz. :( 
March 31, 2007 1:07:45 AM

lol, yeah, i'm pretty busy but sometimes we have the benches full of computers running memtest, seatools, orthos and virus/spyware scans so we still get quite a bit of time to read the forums. Ezone ey? do you sell hd-dvd drives? i can't find one for sale in aus at all... (pc that is, not xb360)
April 2, 2007 3:32:18 AM

No, haven't seen any yet!
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2007 4:29:40 AM

Why do americans always get stuff 2 months b4 us? Its not fair, we need a fab here. Calling AMD, real investment opportunities here.
April 2, 2007 6:43:32 AM

i think it is that sole reason why im thinking of going blu-ray, not hddvd
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2007 9:45:54 AM

Get a PS3 if this isnt for your pc, much better than a discrete blue-ray drive. Cheaper and with way more features. If its for your PC, then go spend some money.
!