Windows 2003 DNS configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

crag277

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I had a bunch of old hard drives and computer parts lying around, and a free copy of Windows 2003 from the MSDNAA (gotta love college), so I decided to try and make a server machine for my house.

This is my first experience with any kind of network administration, so bear with me if I miss something seemingly obvious.

The network is set up with a Buffalo AirStation WHR-HP-G54 router, and is primarily wireless. There are three machines plugged into the router via CAT5e cables, one of which is the server.

The installation and setup of Windows 2003 went well, but I ran into some problems when I started to add roles to the server. I added DHCP server, DNS, and File Server roles to the machine, but then the server lost internet connectivity. I'm 99% sure the DNS setup is to blame.

During that setup the server was assigned a static IP of 192.168.0.1. Now, if I disable the DHCP server on my router and renew the IP address of any other PC on the network it acquires an IP from the server, but does not have any internet connectivity.

I searched Google for a while and was able to determine (at least I think) that I need to configure the server to Forward internet requests to my ISP DNS server. This makes sense, but I have no idea how to do it.

I've tried going to dnsstuff.com and running a WHOIS lookup for my ISP domain (stny.rr.com) and entering the IP that it returned in the DNS Forward configuration wizard, but I get a message that no Root Hints could be found, and I still have no internet access.

Sorry for such a long post, and I appreciate any help. Thanks!

lotussama

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
If DNS is your only problem, you'll still be able to access the internet via IP addresses. Are you able to do this?

That'd be a good first troubleshooting step.

crag277

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Hmmm

Maybe there are other problems.

Every time I type in just an IP address IE7 automatically redirects to a google search page, but obviously the page cannot be displayed because there is no internet connection. I can't even access my router config page, which doesn't make sense because the computer is directly connected to it.

Torpedo91

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
With a small set up like What you have it might be a bit better to run the DHCP off the router, let it assign the address. Then check the DNS settings on the router, make sure everything is ok there

If u cannot get into the router configuration page then it might be a good idea to power down , wait 2 minutes then power it back up. If that does not help then u may need to reset the router

Status
Not open for further replies.