Will this power my 8800gtx??

marcs4020

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
In the next week or so I am going to step up from my 8800gts 640 to the 8800gtx and am planning on upgrading my psu along with the card. I currently have a 550w rosewil but have been told by quite a few people, mostly on this board, that it just won't cut it when it comes to powering the 8800gtx. I would like to buy this psu----> the new psu..the one I want

and wanted to know what everyone thinks. Will this power my system? Judging from the reviews people have used this to run the gtx' in sli so I would assume that it would be the perfect solution for just running one.

thanks a lot,
Marc

AeroB1033

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Yes, easily.

I have to say, though, I'm surprised your system isn't overloaded already with your current power supply. Rosewill is bad, bad, bad.

The other thing you should consider is that you would get a lot more performance out of upgrading that CPU than replacing an already excellent video card. Running a crappy PD with an 8800GTX is almost unfathomable.

marcs4020

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Thanks for the quick response. My system has been running great, knock on wood, since I got this psu in september. I agree with you about running a gtx with a pD but I want to use my step up to get the better card for the future.
As for a new cpu I plan on getting a c2d in the next few months. I am waiting for amd to release there new chip so the competition will bring the price down and honestly right now I am playing every game that I want at max setting with no lag at all so there is no complaints in that department.

Marc

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
In the next week or so I am going to step up from my 8800gts 640 to the 8800gtx and am planning on upgrading my psu along with the card. I currently have a 550w rosewil but have been told by quite a few people, mostly on this board, that it just won't cut it when it comes to powering the 8800gtx. I would like to buy this psu----> the new psu..the one I want

and wanted to know what everyone thinks. Will this power my system? Judging from the reviews people have used this to run the gtx' in sli so I would assume that it would be the perfect solution for just running one.

thanks a lot,
Marc

arent "rosewill" cheap psus?
I dont think they can even power 1 8800GTX...

so unless I see proof, id call the 550Watt rosewill running gTX in SLI as pure FUD.
but yeah that other psu you listed looks nice.. some people have said very nice stuff on the Corsair new PSUS, even the inquirer claimed it had a 90% efficiency ( wich I dont think its real.. since many sites claim its 82%... )