Sign in with
Your question

Help, I don't know what temp my Core 2 Duo is running at!!!

Last response: in Overclocking
March 28, 2007 3:12:45 AM

This is a screenshot taken while running TAT, Speedfan, and CoreTemp all at the same time.

TAT shows core temps 65, 66
CoreTemp shows core temps 59, 60
Speedfan shows core temps 45, 45

I'd like to believe Speedfan is correct, can anyone re-assure me? This is IDLE temperature.

Note that TAT thinks I have a Pentium M, and it is has a crazy value for ACPI Thermal Zone Temp (whatever that is).

I'm running Vista. I heard TAT has problems with Vista but not sure about this. Not sure about Coretemp either.

CPU : E6700
Motherboard : Abit IL9 Pro (budget board)
Cooler : Artic Freezer 7 Pro using its heat pad
Overclock : No
Load : None
Voltage : Default

Can anyone make sense of this?

More about : temp core duo running

March 28, 2007 5:23:07 PM

Im running an E4300 at 2.7Ghz and 1.34V. My SF cores are 25C idle.

There may be a problem with vista that I am not aware of but if not, then you have 100% load like temps when your idle. Redo your HS and get rid of the tape and use some good paste.

Consider lapping.
Related resources
March 28, 2007 5:56:30 PM

Thanks, I know the temps may be high, but I was really more interested in why these 3 different apps are reporting wildly different temps. How can you trust any one of them when they are all completely different? I mean, how do you know that you are REALLY running at 25C idle?
March 28, 2007 7:12:39 PM

You may want to read the sticky thread about temp guide by CompuTronix on the top of this forum.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core-Duo-Temper...

By the way I run Vista 32 bit and doesn't have any problem with TAT so far. Just right click on TAT icon -->properties-->compatibility--> check on run as administator. However I use speedfan 4.32 and set the temp off set so that It shows the correct temp for tcase and tjunction.

Hope this help.
March 28, 2007 7:18:33 PM

grennis, are those screenshots from idle? If so, your computer is CRAZY hot.
March 28, 2007 11:25:33 PM

Errr guys... yes, I know, the temps are hot. Did I ask about that?

No, I asked about the extreme variance in the temps reported by the different applications. Nobody can address this?

Of course I have read the C2D temperature guide... no need to link to it. By the way, it doesn't address my question. I'm not asking about temp differences between Tjunction and Tcase. The programs I am using are all supposed to be reporting core temps.

Before you laugh at my hot CPU, are you sure your CPU is running as cool as you think it is? How can you be sure? Cause from where I am sitting, these programs are just spitting out random numbers.
March 29, 2007 1:10:04 AM

Did you see this section of the guide?

Quote:
Offsets

If temperatures don’t meet the Parameters, then SpeedFan 4.32 can configure offsets to correct for Tcase (CPU or Temp X) and Tjunction (Core 0 / Core 1). From the “Readings” tab, click on the “Configure” button, then click on the “Advanced” tab. Next, click on the “Chip” field directly under the tabs, then use SpeedFan’s “Help and HOW-TO” icon included in the installation Program Group.

Under “Contents” click on “How to configure” then click on “How to set Advanced Options”. Read this section including “Other interesting options” and “Temperature x offset. When configured, SpeedFan will display all 3 Tcase and Tjunction temperatures correctly. SpeedFan is also extremely useful for observing temperatures and Vcore using the “Charts” tab, while thermal benchmarking with TAT.

If you add 15 degree's offset to your Speedfan core0 and core1, you'll find they're much more consistant with the other applications.
March 29, 2007 12:54:18 PM

Quote:

If you add 15 degree's offset to your Speedfan core0 and core1, you'll find they're much more consistant with the other applications.

I guess you are trying to help me, but this comment does not make sense. Why would I add 15 degrees to Speedfan's measurement? Speedfan is not giving me the single Tcase reading. Speedfan is giving me BOTH of the DUAL Tjunction measurements. So you totally lost me on this one. Also you didn't explain why CoreTemp shows yet ANOTHER set of measurements which are also MUCH different.
March 29, 2007 1:34:33 PM

Coretemp and TAT are within a few degrees of each other but speedfan is way off so I'd throw the Speedfan reading out.

The 15c offset, mentioned above, is based on the Tcase to Tjunction algorithm mentioned in the linked thread. Possibly Speedfan is reporting Tcase instead of Tjunction in the cores since adding 15c puts the Speedfan reading right in-line with CoreTemp. Plus, you almost never see identical temps on the two cores which further enforces the theory that Speedfan is reporting Tcase instead of Tjunction. A bug in speedfan most likely.

Since Speedfan Tcase matches almost exactly to Coretemp, based on adding 15c to Speefan's reported temp, I would suggest that you use Coretemp as the most realistic reading of your operating temperatures and wait for an update for Speedfan.
March 30, 2007 10:56:36 PM

Well I guess you are trying to help but I'm afraid you are way off track.

Yeah, so speedfan happened to show the 2 cores at the same temp when I took the screenshot. I almost took another one but I thought nobody would actually draw conclusions from that. I can assure you that Speedfan shows 2 distinct temperatures.

But THIS is my main point for you: Under 100% load my CPU (according to TAT) ran up to 87C/88C ... and did not throttle and did not even shut off (the shutdown temp is 85C and the throttle temp is 80C). So how can this happen? It happens because TAT is reporting the wrong temperature. Obviously TAT is reporting a temp way higher than the CPU is. And so I must think that Speedfan is correct.

Besides which you never addressed my point that TAT thinks my CPU is a Pentium M. Can you explain why I would trust the temp when it can't even get my CPU model right?

Can you explain this?
March 31, 2007 12:29:35 AM

I just went through all of this last week.
If you also watch carefully, Core Temp will = TAT when you are at 100%

Speed Fan out of the box is in all likelihood wrong.
Without knowing your MB and chipset... I am going to make a guess at what I am looking at:
At idle Speedfan is 15C lower than Core Temp (we see this in your post)
At 100% Core Temp = TAT (just guessing here)
Core Temp presumes a Tjunction of 100C (published temp for chip I think is actually 85) TAT thinks its reading a mobile processor.
So, in a way all three are correct.
Bottom line is that if you add 15C to CoreTemp0 & 1 those are going to be pretty close to the reality.
Once you did that you could surmise that Temp2 is your Tcase which with a 20C delta seems about right for anything other than the best coolers.
(I have a 16C delta from 24C Tcase and 22C ambient with my Scythe Andy Samurai Master cooler with the case open) http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Assistance-fina...

So to sum it up:
At idle:
SpeedFan Cores are 15C low
CoreTemp is probably just about correct
TAT is high
At load:
SpeedFan is still 15C low
TAT and CoreTemp are hot by 1 or 2C

If you add 15C to your cores you will be looking at the best approximation of your temps. [ Configure-->Advanced-->Chip drop-down select Intel Core --> Temp offset set to 15 for both cores.

Now.... that all seems rather warm for idle.
For me, just taking my case side cover off buys me about 6C (indicating I need better case airflow)
So, is it Warm where you are (ambient temp)
Do you have a poorly seated HSF.

There is no definitive answer on your temp question but if you read CompuTronix Core 2 Duo temp guide, factor in that Intel says there is not a specific Tjunction value but that it is variable you will have to settle for the general consensus.
I hope this helps. It took me 6 days to get my mind around this and get speedfan working correctly on my system (Many thanks to CompuTronix and others that had the patience for my ramblings)
March 31, 2007 2:06:35 AM

Hi wchp,

Thanks for the explanation. I'm sure not sure why exactly speedfan is always 15C low for everybody, but I'll keep reading up on this.

Thanks for reading my situation and helping me...
March 31, 2007 2:24:49 AM

I don't think it is "always" low by 15C. It does seem to be typical of those that are posting here though.
It could be that those of us that get odd readings go in search of a site that explains things, and we kind of collect here because of our hardware similarities.
It took me days of looking at SpeedFan, Core Temp 0.94 and 0.95 and TAT. Reading all of the posts here and elsewhere before I could comprehend what CompuTronix was conveying in his guide and why I would see the things I did.
The problem is that we don't have a precise tool. We are using interpretive tools. As such... open to the interpretation of the person writing the software and the way the software presents it.
Then, we have to understand what we are looking at, the intent of the software and then have it make sense to us so that we are able to start interpreting it as a reasonably factual presentation of what is occurring.
(I was ready to go buy one of those glass/mercury infant thermometers and shove it up my heatsinks as_ at one point)
I still don't believe it is right... but I think it is close enough that it allows me to make adjustments to cooling hardware, OC settings and such and keep me from getting into any serious trouble with temps.
You might want to ditch your HSF heat pad and get some Arctic Silver or that other compound CompuTronix references in his guide. That should buy you 3-6C easy.
March 31, 2007 2:34:03 AM

Quote:
Well I guess you are trying to help but I'm afraid you are way off track.

Yeah, so speedfan happened to show the 2 cores at the same temp when I took the screenshot. I almost took another one but I thought nobody would actually draw conclusions from that. I can assure you that Speedfan shows 2 distinct temperatures.

But THIS is my main point for you: Under 100% load my CPU (according to TAT) ran up to 87C/88C ... and did not throttle and did not even shut off (the shutdown temp is 85C and the throttle temp is 80C). So how can this happen? It happens because TAT is reporting the wrong temperature. Obviously TAT is reporting a temp way higher than the CPU is. And so I must think that Speedfan is correct.

Besides which you never addressed my point that TAT thinks my CPU is a Pentium M. Can you explain why I would trust the temp when it can't even get my CPU model right?

Can you explain this?

I am guessing just like you. I would tend to assume that two programs reading close to each other are better than one reading something completely different.

I didn't know that your temps were jumping to 87c.

If you think Speedfan is correct then use Speedfan. It's not my gear, it's yours, so do what you want with it. Let us know what you finally figure out.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 31, 2007 7:03:51 PM

Quote:
Errr guys... yes, I know, the temps are hot. Did I ask about that?

No, I asked about the extreme variance in the temps reported by the different applications. Nobody can address this?

Of course I have read the C2D temperature guide... no need to link to it. By the way, it doesn't address my question. I'm not asking about temp differences between Tjunction and Tcase. The programs I am using are all supposed to be reporting core temps.

Before you laugh at my hot CPU, are you sure your CPU is running as cool as you think it is? How can you be sure? Cause from where I am sitting, these programs are just spitting out random numbers.

grennis, when I read this 3 days ago, it didn't filled with warm fuzzy incentives to make a single click to help you, but if you'll keep an open mind and listen to me, then I'll work with you to straighten this out.

The ball is in your court.

Comp 8)
March 31, 2007 10:48:42 PM

Well I didnt really read the stinkin guide, OK? I basically skimmed over it and I dont see much that applies to my situation. So if there is why dont you just explain it to me. Thanks in advance.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 31, 2007 11:21:39 PM

Quote:
Well I didnt really read the stinkin guide, OK? I basically skimmed over it and I dont see much that applies to my situation. So if there is why dont you just explain it to me. Thanks in advance.

Well I wrote the stinkin guide, OK? I basically skimmed over your problem, and I see that your attitude applies to you situation. So if I just explain it then you won't understand. You're welcome in advance.

Comp 8)
April 1, 2007 1:01:29 AM

Looks like what we got here is a failyah to communicayte!
April 1, 2007 1:12:57 AM

Quote:
Looks like what we got here is a failyah to communicayte!

Grennis,
Seriously, the way your posts read, the tone is pretty harsh. You do really have to read all of the guide and read it again and again to really understand what is going on. The numbers are guides and you have to understand how to interpret them. There is no "answer" just understanding.
Computronix is not obligated to help you. He did a great write up that if you are in need of his assistance he expects you to have read and rightfully so. That doesn't mean you'll understand it but at least read it. Then when (and in your instance if ever) he gives you his response it would prove helpful.
Otherwise, install Core Temp, call it ballpark, keep your fingers crossed and you might not see smoke.
April 1, 2007 3:42:06 AM

OK... OK... I still don't think reading the guide is really all that important BUT just to humor you I will do it, when I have time. Not sure when that will be. I guess I will get to it eventually. In the meantime, start researching my problem so you'll be ready to help. Thanks!!!
April 1, 2007 3:43:42 AM

I tried to be civil in my post after his wise-ass reply. I was trying to give grennis the benefit of the doubt (possibly an english not his first language thing) but it is obvious that he knows exactly what he is saying.

What I don't understand is why a guy with such a lousy, know-it-all attitude would ever bother posting on a forum for help. Immaturity? Mental disorder of some kind? Poor social skills?

grennis, use whatever you want to read the temps. It is your gear do what you want with it. You're a jerk with poor social skills who thinks, for some odd reason, that the folks here work for you. They don't, they try and help with no expectation of compensation. And guess what, I highly doubt you will receive any further help so give us all a break and take it somewhere else will ya. What a pinhead. :roll:
April 1, 2007 7:42:08 AM

I have no idea what kind of BS CPU you're using, and frankly I cannot be bothered to find out.

All I know is that speedfan 4.23 and my bios temps agree to within a degree. Read the fuc*ing manual that Computronix spent so much time to write.... A$$h0le.

BTW, your cpu needs some serious help. Hope (not) that it lasts the week.

ByeBye, good luck, and don't let the door slap you in the ass on your way out....
!