new build - not posting

adapa

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I assembled my computer today and it does not post, no beeps etc. The psu is supplying power to the mobo. I am getting a green led light on the mobo & fans work. the Monitor also works, I took it off of my son's machine. I did not over tighten the screws.

system;
ocz 600w psu
corsair xms 2GB
WD Caviar SE16
E6300 stock fan
EVGA 7900GS
ASUS P5B-e
Antec P180 case

I assembled this in the case, got nothing. Then I removed the mobo, placed it on the bag & cardboard it came in/on. Reconnected the wires, reseated the video card & tried to boot with the ONLY the following connected;

cpu & fan both pluged in
Evga 7900gs- power & monitor plugged in
power to the mobo 20 + 4 pin pluged in
trackball usb
keyboard serial
front control (power on/off, restart, on board speaker & two lcd's)

When I push the power up button, lights on the key board flash, the fan's (cpu, vid card & case) run for 5 sec's then stop for a second then start again. That's it, no beeps or anything.

Any suggestions? I've searched but am lost- I thought for sure it'd post once I got it out of the case. <sigh>

feeltch

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
I couldn't say what's wrong. Maybe motherboard, but if you say, you get lichts on keyboard. I think I would try different video card. I don't know.

Maybe the beeps aren't there, because you don't have motherboard connected to a PC speaker, which is usually mounted on the case.

pseudopeon

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
I wasn't thinking of that from a diagnostic perspective, rather getting the thing to work if something simple has been overlooked :roll:

adapa

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I found the beep codes for the AMI BIOS & see no listing for "no beeps".

I double checked the on board speaker & got static when a 9v charge was applied.

I checked the mobo & cpu without a video card. I still got not a beep.

What's the test to check if it's a mobo or cpu problem? Is there one?
I'm thinking DOA on one of these parts but would like to get it narrowed down so as to make the replace/return process smother.

I got both the mobo & the cpu from newegg- and because of wacky thinking have a DS3 arrving tomorrow.

eta;
the pb5 mobo was doa. The ms3 works like a charm<grin>

TRENDING THREADS