Whats the constant beeps means..??

minizzle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
I got this new computer i built and 2 days later something happened... no signal to the monitor.. i wasn't sure what the prob was but i had narrowed it down to the motherboard.. not just earlier i plugged in the little speaker that is built in with the case.. and i plugged that speaker into the motherboard.. now when i turn on my computer theres a beep every 2 seconds.. fans spin and everything..what is that an indication of?.. malfunction of motherboard? something else? someone help me out... thanks in advance for input about what the beeps means.

ECS Nforce4m-a (3.0)
AMD athlon 64 3800+ @2.4
nvidia 7300gt 256
patriot 1GB
450 okia psu

theboomboomcars

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Each bios manufacturer has a different meaning for the beeps (ie Award, AMI, Phoenix). So if you could post who makes your bios it would make answering your question much easier.

minizzle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
Well the comp seemed to be running fine.. left room came back.. and there was no video output.. I was sure what was wrong.. monitor wasn’t it.. I plugged it into another monitor I knew worked.. then I went out and bought a graphics card… plugged in.. same result.. so I basically just put it on the motherboard…. the HDD light flashes right when I start up my comp then just the power light is on.. fans run and everything but no output.. I also for some reason have to hold button for 5 seconds to turn OFF the computer.. yes. and yesterday I plugged in the case speaker to the mobo and wen I turn on the comp it beeps every 3seconds… any ideas?? what problem is.. what I can do..

theboomboomcars

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Are all of the beeps the same with the same amount of space between them?

For example does it go beep...beep...beep...beep...etc
Or does it go something like beep..beep....beeeep..beep.

Check this site out. It explains what the numbers mean.

mrthaggar

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
Constant beeping is normally a signal of a ram failure, try removing one of ths sticks, or they them in a different board.

minizzle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
the beeps are constant seems like every 3 seconds... beep stays the same.. beep...beep...beep...beep...beep...etc

im not sure which code that is on that site .. can someone help me out.. thanks.. ram failure? hmm

minizzle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
No wonder.. i've actually mistaken the BIOS type.. i just looked up my motherboard. Again.. to double check and it states AWARD bios.. so i checked the beep codes and the RAM beep is the one that fits the beeps im talking about... http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?detailid=675&DetailName=Specification&MenuID=46&LanID=9
at the bottom'

oh if it seems to be the RAM ..could it be that becuz the motherboard is defected??.. or it really is the ram..

and no ram detection will give to video output ryte..
sry about multiple post
thanks

theboomboomcars

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I could be a motherboard problem but probably the ram. You can try to change the slots the ram is in to see if it is a faulty slot causing the problem.

You can also try using just one stick.

minizzle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
i've alrdy tried 3 difffernt slots .. theres one left.. oh its only 1 stick.. (1gb)
i dont know . the constant beeps on the bios beep code for Award says its memory error. or its not seated properly.. but can it be?.. it was working fine ..

see im not sure.. could be the RAM could be the Motherboard..

only thing get working ram and test...

theboomboomcars

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
i've alrdy tried 3 difffernt slots .. theres one left.. oh its only 1 stick.. (1gb)
i dont know . the constant beeps on the bios beep code for Award says its memory error. or its not seated properly.. but can it be?.. it was working fine ..

see im not sure.. could be the RAM could be the Motherboard..

only thing get working ram and test...

It does look like that is your only option at this point. Unless you have a different system you could test this ram in, or if you have a local computer store that would test the ram for you.

I know we used to have one around here that would do it for free. But I haven't needed a part tested that I couldn't do for quite some time, so I don't know if anyone around here does anymore.

minizzle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
yeah.. thanks for reply tho.. pretty much that.. try to get it tested.. if the ram works.. its the mobo.. if it doesnt. its the ram..