kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
First, system specs.

3200+ Winchester core no OC
MSI Neo2-FIR 939 MB
2Gb Patriot 2-3-2-6 RAM running 2.5-3-2-6 (stupid MB doesn't support CAS 2 :/ Well, it has the CAS 2 setting in BIOS but boots up saying that it is defaulting to 2.5)
XFX GeForce 6600GT 128Mb AGP 8x version
WD Raptor 36Gb 8Mb cache 10k RPM
Maxtor 120Gb IDE133 7200 RPM
NEC 3440A (I think) DL DVD-RW
a no-name CD-ROM
Zalman 7000Cu
Antec 500 watt PSU
no-name dialup modem
can't remember the name of the tv-capture card :/

Here's the problem.

I've tried XP64 twice. EACH time I've tried it, all the 64 bit drivers load fine. Chipset fine, video drivers fine. Modem and tv cards are left without drivers since they aren't too important to me really.

When I open a window to even just explore HDD's and scroll down it jerks and stutters like it doesn't have enough processing power. Indeed I've watched in the hardware monitor and it maxes the CPU to just scoll down a web page or browsing a directory in windows explorer. Installing the newest XP64 video drivers helped a tiny bit but still mostly maxes out the CPU. Any ideas why?

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Users may install memory modules of different type and density on different-channel DDR DIMMs. However, the same type and density memory modules are necessary while using dual-channel DDR, or instability may happen. Please refer to the following table for detailed dual-channel DDR. Other combination not listed below will function as single-channel DDR.

Make sure your memory installation meets these requirements.

If so then run a memory check using memtest86 for instance.

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I definitely have the memory in the dual channel slots. Dual sided dimms in 1 and 3 i believe. Sorry, forgot to post that in my specs. >< I've ran memtest86 twice on the memory and both times recieved flawless results. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the MB that xp64 doesn't like. It's got a VIA KT800pro chipset.

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
I've heard conflicting stories about windows X64 , most of them being bad. I don't know what to tell you . I've heard the driver issues give people a lot of trouble. Perhaps it would be better for you to wait until Microsoft launches Vista And go back to XP until then.