• File System
  • Hard Drives
  • MP3
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
February 19, 2006 5:24:38 AM

I have 3 hard drives.
2nd hard drive is an MP3 drive
Partition hard drive 1 with suse with windows. didnt work so well so i started formating the drive with a fresh windows

after all set and down. HD 2 mp3 files are ALL jumbo up. if i click on LOL1 mp3 file, it will actually play random song within the whole drive like LOL 15 mp3 file. the whole entire thing is mess up! How can I fix this!??!! 5 years of collecting is in here.

EDIT: Okay. Its not just HD # 2 but also #3. Is there any way I can fix this problem? Its not just MP3, But every other files like movies and pics

More about : screw hard drives file system

February 19, 2006 7:52:46 AM

Sounds like the file allocation table is screwed up.
If you reformatted The drives I'm surprised that you can access the files at all.

Somebody here might come up with a solution, but I doubt it seriously. There are companies that do file recovery but I don't know how expensive it would be.

Good luck
February 19, 2006 3:22:44 PM

All you had to do was boot up with a 98 boot disk, and delete JUST the suse partition with fdisk. Then reclaim the space in Disk Management, making another XP partition.

If drives #2 & #3 were always storage, AND your formatting had nothing to do with them, they should be alright.

Try this. Boot up with a 98 boot floppy. Using fdisk (always say yes to large drive support), delete ALL partitions on the #1 drive. That would be the one that you formatted. Do a Display first to see what's hooked up, and where.

DO NOT FORMAT AT THIS TIME!!! WHEN YOU FORMAT WITH THE 98 FLOPPY, IT WILL ALWAYS BE
FAT 32!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pop in your XP cd, and reinstall XP on the #1 drive, formatting it during the install process. I suggest NTFS long format.