Video memory management?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Video Memory
  • Games
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 28, 2007 3:32:24 AM

How do you do it? I'm basically looking for knowledge to tweak game settings according to available vram in an educated manner.

I have an X1900XT (256mb edition). I'd like to know if there's a way to monitor how much vram being used so that I can adjust game settings accordingly. A gpu intensive game I'm currently playing is Oblivion and I'd like to know how much AA/AF I can give it before suffering the severe performance hit from using too much memory(cache trashing issues, etc).

Also, I'd like to know, if possible, what kind of vram usage difference changing the resolution makes to better know what should be done first in the case of limited memory. Reduce the resolution a notch, or the texture quality a notch? Or is there more to it?

I also ask this from concern with future games, Unreal Tournament 3 comes to mind. I'm sure I'll be able to run pretty well, I've seen a demo of it run smoothly on a 7800gt over a year ago, but it would be awesome to know which steps to take to keep such games running well at 1280x1024 with 256mb.

Feel free to include any knowledge of other things besides resolution and texture quality that clutter up memory. Thanks in advance.

More about : video memory management

March 28, 2007 11:04:51 AM

Quote:
How do you do it? I'm basically looking for knowledge to tweak game settings according to available vram in an educated manner.

I have an X1900XT (256mb edition). I'd like to know if there's a way to monitor how much vram being used so that I can adjust game settings accordingly. A gpu intensive game I'm currently playing is Oblivion and I'd like to know how much AA/AF I can give it before suffering the severe performance hit from using too much memory(cache trashing issues, etc).

Also, I'd like to know, if possible, what kind of vram usage difference changing the resolution makes to better know what should be done first in the case of limited memory. Reduce the resolution a notch, or the texture quality a notch? Or is there more to it?

I also ask this from concern with future games, Unreal Tournament 3 comes to mind. I'm sure I'll be able to run pretty well, I've seen a demo of it run smoothly on a 7800gt over a year ago, but it would be awesome to know which steps to take to keep such games running well at 1280x1024 with 256mb.

Feel free to include any knowledge of other things besides resolution and texture quality that clutter up memory. Thanks in advance.

There is no way to control Vram usage in a Educated or Uneducated manner (classic :lol:  )

The things that make a difference are

what you know already texture size and resolution as well as AA and AF somewhat .

The higher the AA the bigger samples are needed and therefore they fill up the vram real fast,

Thus a 640,8800 compared to a 320 is better on a higher resolution.

In your case you need to cut on the AA and the texture size.

AA effects the vram as well as the core processing power .

to KNOW visit anadtech , they have a good article on AA .
March 29, 2007 1:59:07 AM

So there really is no tool that lets you monitor your video card's memory? I think that's something useful that still needs to be done then.
Related resources
March 29, 2007 10:39:33 AM

This whole are is grey. For example when playing Quake 4 it tells you when you select "ultra" display mode that it uses over 500mb of texture memory. So they know how much is being used.

I think it must be difficult to monitor how much GPU memory is in use. I suspect these games dont always take full advantage of the hardware available which also throws a spanner in the works.

There was an article on memory sizes on this site and the differences in memory size dont make that much difference until you reach higher resolutions in general.

A really confusing are of gaming this, and one which no one seems to be able to clear up.
March 30, 2007 9:22:09 PM

bump in hopes to get more info
!