Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive now clicking after installing Vista.. what gives?

Last response: in Storage
March 28, 2007 4:18:05 AM

After installing Windows Vista Business, my secondary hard drive now makes a "click" noise every so often. It happens randomly. But.. I figured out when I'm playing music or something and that "click" happens, the song freezes for approx 3 seconds, then starts playing again. So something is wrong here, and it's VERY annoying.

Some more information:
-It's a 60GB Maxtor IDE Hard-Drive
-I've done Quick and Advanced SMART testing. Passed everything
-I've taken the data off it and put it on a different hard drive, Formatted and wrote 0's to the whole drive, and the put everything back on just incase of misreading sectors or something along those lines.

'm stumped. I mean, technically speaking, installing vista SHOULDN'T have done anything considering it has NOTHING to do with the secondary hard drive. Can it be just a coincidence of drive failure at the wrong time? Or is it possible that vista pissed it off somehow? (i've done numerous google searches and have found nothing on this)

-Things I haven't tried yet because I'm curious of other peoples opinions first-

-Using drive on different computer
-Reverting back to XP on the Vista computer it's in

EDIT- For reference, I've had Vista installed since Feb 16th of this year. The problem has not gotten any better OR worse since that date.
March 28, 2007 5:01:16 AM

I am no Vista expert, or have big experience (who does since its only been on the market for a few months, lol), but it just seems that its a hard drive failure that happened during your installation (during which the hard drive was stressed a bit too much). By the way, how are the temps on your hard drives under load?
March 28, 2007 5:12:49 AM

I had a hard drive that clicked and then would stall a data read from it, before I backed up the data from it, it failed.
This is a guess on my part, but I bet your drive is on the older side.
Oh and the drive that failed on me passed all the manufactures tests also.
Save what you want to keep and if it's still under warranty get a replacement.
I would not use it for anything I wanted to keep.
Related resources
March 28, 2007 5:38:09 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Correct. It's fairly old. (I'd say 5+ years)

Temperatures don't really go over 35C under stress.

And wow, it sounds like that whole "stall on read" idea is what's going on in my computer. I'm going to transfer everything on that secondary hard-drive to my main one and just disconnect it for now. Then see how things turn out.

Maybe I just got lucky on it lasting as long as it did =x
March 28, 2007 6:10:49 AM

I second bobbknight, it sounds like the old coincidental drive failure.
a b G Storage
March 28, 2007 6:50:45 AM

I'm yet to have a drive fail on me, but then I only have them for 3 years max and I give them to someone else. Try and sell it on ebay, someone is bound to buy it if you dont say its 5+ years old and dying. :lol: 
March 28, 2007 7:08:26 AM

Quote:
I'm yet to have a drive fail on me, but then I only have them for 3 years max and I give them to someone else. Try and sell it on ebay, someone is bound to buy it if you dont say its 5+ years old and dying. :lol: 

I have never had a drive fail on me, and I still have 1 gig drives laying around. They don't get used at all so I guess they will last for ever. Now my niece had 2 fail in a relatively short time on her HP. I replaced the POS power supply and no more problems. I also had to replace the case because the PS was a 2/3 size. I love HP :tongue:
March 28, 2007 7:21:17 AM

not necessarily a failure yet.

I hooked up an IDE hard drive to the Jmicron controller on my mobo sometime ago, it started clicking just like yours. But when hooke up via usb enclosure - no clicks whatsoever.
I suspect its a controller driver issue
March 28, 2007 7:40:24 AM

Interesting, I hear a lot of people having various kinds of grief with the JMicron Controllers, both SATA and PATA.

Edit: he did say it worked fine for a long time, but it could be Vista not playing well with the controller. Maybe he should try it in another machine or maybe load XP on it and run dual boot, slop style, from the BIOS.
March 28, 2007 8:32:08 AM

Quote:
After installing Windows Vista Business, my secondary hard drive now makes a "click" noise every so often. It happens randomly. But.. I figured out when I'm playing music or something and that "click" happens, the song freezes for approx 3 seconds, then starts playing again. So something is wrong here, and it's VERY annoying.

Some more information:
-It's a 60GB Maxtor IDE Hard-Drive
-I've done Quick and Advanced SMART testing. Passed everything
-I've taken the data off it and put it on a different hard drive, Formatted and wrote 0's to the whole drive, and the put everything back on just incase of misreading sectors or something along those lines.

'm stumped. I mean, technically speaking, installing vista SHOULDN'T have done anything considering it has NOTHING to do with the secondary hard drive. Can it be just a coincidence of drive failure at the wrong time? Or is it possible that vista pissed it off somehow? (i've done numerous google searches and have found nothing on this)

-Things I haven't tried yet because I'm curious of other peoples opinions first-

-Using drive on different computer
-Reverting back to XP on the Vista computer it's in

EDIT- For reference, I've had Vista installed since Feb 16th of this year. The problem has not gotten any better OR worse since that date.

It's a power saving option in vista, turns off hard drives after 20 minutes or so of inactivity. Had the same issue with my 2 sata drives, kept clicking every so often.
You'll need to go into 'power options', 'change plan setting' for your currently selected plan, 'change advanced power settings', and find the seting for 'Hard Disk'. set it to your desired time - I set mine to never.
March 28, 2007 9:17:23 AM

Quote:
It's a power saving option in vista, turns off hard drives after 20 minutes or so of inactivity. Had the same issue with my 2 sata drives, kept clicking every so often.
You'll need to go into 'power options', 'change plan setting' for your currently selected plan, 'change advanced power settings', and find the seting for 'Hard Disk'. set it to your desired time - I set mine to never.

Good advice! 8)
I'll keep that in mind if I try to use Vista later this year :wink:
March 28, 2007 1:40:37 PM

Wow, what the heck is Microsoft thinking... I would NEVER have found that option myself. You have to go through like 3 different screens just to get there, haha. And even when it's set to the highest of high performance setting, it STILL says turn off after 20 minutes. Sheesh.

I will try this, thank you!

If this dosen't work, I actually would suspect Vista not playing well with my controller. It's a P4P800-E Deluxe with the i865PE chipset. Appearently the controller the "Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controller" (onboard).

Maybe they will have updated INF controllers or something =x The ones I have now are dated 9/13/2006

Just incase, I did back up everything so now I don't really care what happens to the drive. But at this point I heavily doubt a drive failure issue.
March 28, 2007 11:09:22 PM

Whew, I'm not the only one who's having problems. OK, I installed Vista a few weeks ago, and now my main comp's HD doesn't want to even be recognized. It's on a P5B Deluxe. Updated BIOS, tried everything. What gives?
March 29, 2007 6:42:16 PM

Just to let people know, the power management fix stopped the random clicking. Now it feels as good as new.

Such a great way to make you think that your hard-drive is failing :roll:

The option must be bugged. When I used to switch to different songs, and searching around different directories, it would click randomly.
March 29, 2007 7:17:52 PM

I can confirm that the symptoms described in the OP are most likely from the hard drives being turned off by the OS power save features. If you can handle the odd 3-5 second delay every so often then it is a good way to lower the energy footprint of your system.

Maybe you can lengthen the time to reduce the frequency of sleep mode, but if you have a 24/7 computer you will save a nice amount of power having your drives off when not in use.
March 30, 2007 4:05:45 AM

I too would rather have my hard drives on all the time rather than having them being turned off every 20 mins - especially if you constantly hit your second hard drive past the time it shuts off. I imagine that would be harder on the hard drive than having it shut off 20 times a day.
You could either set your power settings longer than 20mins or just leave em on. I think mine are on all the time as it is. And, as always, backup your data!
November 23, 2007 1:00:19 PM

it's kind of hard trying to watch a video file when every 1-2 minutes you get a 2-3 second freeze. :pfff: 

thank you very much for the help septic, i registered in this forum just to say thanks :hello: 

(and sorry for bringing up an old thread i just noticed hehe)
!