IPAQ and USB HDD

June 26, 2005 3:59:29 AM

Hi All,

I have a H2210 ipaq and I'd like to know if there is any solution to connect
it to an USB HDD using the USB connection.

Thanks for your help.

Ben

More about : ipaq usb hdd

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 3:59:30 AM

hi ben,
Ipaq does not have the usb host capabilities :(  thus the only way is to
take the cf usb card from expansys :)  I've never used so i don't have
any expirience with it.

cheers
June 26, 2005 3:43:47 PM

Hi Smartin,

Could you be more precise about the card because I haven't found the right
solution on the expansys web site.

Thanks

Cheers

smartin wrote:

> hi ben,
> Ipaq does not have the usb host capabilities :(  thus the only way is to
> take the cf usb card from expansys :)  I've never used so i don't have
> any expirience with it.
>
> cheers
June 26, 2005 3:43:48 PM

Didn't know expansys sold it, but the card is made by Ratoc. There is a lot
of info at their site
http://www.rexpccard.co.jp/english/products/subpages/cf...

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"BMo" <moulinb@free.fr> wrote in message
> Hi Smartin,
>
> Could you be more precise about the card because I haven't found the right
> solution on the expansys web site.
>
> Thanks
>
> Cheers
>

> smartin wrote:
>
>> hi ben,
>> Ipaq does not have the usb host capabilities :(  thus the only way is to
>> take the cf usb card from expansys :)  I've never used so i don't have
>> any expirience with it.
>>
>> cheers

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 8:37:04 PM

That Twin Paradox card has been 'coming soon' for two years. I wouldn't hold
my breath. Go to the Ratoc site and see about that one, then google for
outlets. It's actually available.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"Trust No One®" <dana.scully@usa.xnet> wrote in message

> Sven wrote:
>> Didn't know expansys sold it, but the card is made by Ratoc. There is
>> a lot of info at their site
>> http://www.rexpccard.co.jp/english/products/subpages/cf...
>>
> Closest thing I've found is:
>
> http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=113389
>
> It's on pre-order though.
>
> hth
>
> --
> Peter <X-Files Fan>
> Please Note: Emailed replies cc'd / bcc'd , containing HTML or attachments
> auto-binned as spam

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 5:55:08 PM

> Hi All,
>
> I have a H2210 ipaq and I'd like to know if there is any solution to
> connect
> it to an USB HDD using the USB connection.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Ben

While there are USB host cf cards as an option, at least consider getting an
ASUS 802.11 wl-100 wireless drive enclosure. That way you can connect to
the drive via 802.11 while out in the field without worrying about the
cable. Also note that it could be a more economic solution, since the
enclosure at ~$80 is cheaper than the ratoc card itself (at least when I was
looking at them). Plus you could then use the hard drive with multiple
clients at one time - for example, PPC and laptop can share the drive
simultaneously, or multiple PPCs.

Good luck.
June 27, 2005 11:14:49 PM

"xTenn" <xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> wrote in message

> "BMo" <moulinb@free.fr> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have a H2210 ipaq and I'd like to know if there is any solution to
>> connect
>> it to an USB HDD using the USB connection.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Ben
>
> While there are USB host cf cards as an option, at least consider getting
> an ASUS 802.11 wl-100 wireless drive enclosure. That way you can connect
> to the drive via 802.11 while out in the field without worrying about the
> cable. Also note that it could be a more economic solution, since the
> enclosure at ~$80 is cheaper than the ratoc card itself (at least when I
> was looking at them). Plus you could then use the hard drive with
> multiple clients at one time - for example, PPC and laptop can share the
> drive simultaneously, or multiple PPCs.
>

> Good luck.

Hay! What a clever idea. I'd never have thought about something like that.
Can a Pocket PC "see" a drive like this? Also, presumably this would be
mains electric only for the drive?
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:14:50 PM

"JB" <flaxton_uk_remove@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> "xTenn" <xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> wrote in message
>>

>> While there are USB host cf cards as an option, at least consider getting
>> an ASUS 802.11 wl-100 wireless drive enclosure. That way you can connect
>> to the drive via 802.11 while out in the field without worrying about the
>> cable. Also note that it could be a more economic solution, since the
>> enclosure at ~$80 is cheaper than the ratoc card itself (at least when I
>> was looking at them). Plus you could then use the hard drive with
>> multiple clients at one time - for example, PPC and laptop can share the
>> drive simultaneously, or multiple PPCs.
>>

> Hay! What a clever idea. I'd never have thought about something like
> that. Can a Pocket PC "see" a drive like this? Also, presumably this
> would be mains electric only for the drive?

Any PocketPC with 802.11 wireless should be able to see this drive fine - I
have used one for different applications with IPaqs (3835 and rx3115 ),
including music and movie streaming. The unit can act as an access point
so you can easily connect to it as you would a wireless router. It can also
be set up to connect to an existing network when available, otherwise act as
its own point. The unit does require power, so you need to have either a
spare battery, vehicle power or a place to plug up the adaptor. It actually
runs linux internally, and there are a lot of hacks out there for running
various servers on the unit for the drive data (I have used Twonky on one
myself, but there are more). However, any modifications are not required in
order to use the unit as a big drive accessible by a PPC or PC.

About the only problem is that it does seem slower in getting a list of
files than a typical server, but in my use the streaming speeds are fine and
consistent (although I do not think you will notice the difference between
5400 and 7200 spindle speeds in the unit...).

A link for more information:

http://usa.asus.com/products/communication/wireless/wl-...
June 28, 2005 12:58:54 AM

> "JB" <flaxton_uk_remove@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "xTenn" <xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> wrote in message
>>>

>>> While there are USB host cf cards as an option, at least consider
>>> getting an ASUS 802.11 wl-100 wireless drive enclosure. That way you
>>> can connect to the drive via 802.11 while out in the field without
>>> worrying about the cable. Also note that it could be a more economic
>>> solution, since the enclosure at ~$80 is cheaper than the ratoc card
>>> itself (at least when I was looking at them). Plus you could then use
>>> the hard drive with multiple clients at one time - for example, PPC and
>>> laptop can share the drive simultaneously, or multiple PPCs.
>>>

>> Hay! What a clever idea. I'd never have thought about something like
>> that. Can a Pocket PC "see" a drive like this? Also, presumably this
>> would be mains electric only for the drive?
>
> Any PocketPC with 802.11 wireless should be able to see this drive fine -
> I have used one for different applications with IPaqs (3835 and rx3115 ),
> including music and movie streaming. The unit can act as an access point
> so you can easily connect to it as you would a wireless router. It can
> also be set up to connect to an existing network when available, otherwise
> act as its own point. The unit does require power, so you need to have
> either a spare battery, vehicle power or a place to plug up the adaptor.
> It actually runs linux internally, and there are a lot of hacks out there
> for running various servers on the unit for the drive data (I have used
> Twonky on one myself, but there are more). However, any modifications are
> not required in order to use the unit as a big drive accessible by a PPC
> or PC.
>
> About the only problem is that it does seem slower in getting a list of
> files than a typical server, but in my use the streaming speeds are fine
> and consistent (although I do not think you will notice the difference
> between 5400 and 7200 spindle speeds in the unit...).
>
> A link for more information:
>
> http://usa.asus.com/products/communication/wireless/wl-...

Cheers. It seems to fit the bill rather well. It also has the added
advantages of working with PCs/Laptops plus any number of PPCs. I assume
installing a 2.5" hard drive is no harder than installing a 3.5" hard drive,
so I might just try it.
June 30, 2005 2:18:46 AM

Hi That's a good idea!

But will not fit with my need. In fact I'm looking to connect an IPAQ H2210
(no Wifi) with my iriver iHP-140.

Do you know if there is any solution, raptoc card seams to be one solution
but very very expensive!

Thanks

Benoit

!