drifter_888

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I am going to link two offices and give remote access. what are the advantages of a VPN connection as oppsed to a soltuion like PC Anywhere. Are there other solutions that might be better. Please help

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I have a handful of questions that might us help you out...
1. how many users at each remote office?
2. What will the remote offices do with the main office? (Word processing, file sharing, CAD files?)
3. How much bandwidth does each location have?
4. What is your monthly budget for bandwidth?
5. How hands on do you want this project to be?
6. What OS's do you run?

-Cheers

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I have a handful of questions that might us help you out...
1. how many users at each remote office?
2. What will the remote offices do with the main office? (Word processing, file sharing, CAD files?)
3. How much bandwidth does each location have?
4. What is your monthly budget for bandwidth?
5. How hands on do you want this project to be?
6. What OS's do you run?

-Cheers

Maybe this would be hijacking his thread, but I'm in the same boat. I guess I'll start my own thread & answer your questions.

thepustule

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I am going to link two offices and give remote access. what are the advantages of a VPN connection as oppsed to a soltuion like PC Anywhere. Are there other solutions that might be better. Please help

That's a bit of an apples-to-oranges question.

A VPN is a way of gaining network connectivity to your office, as opposed to (for instance) dialup. pcAnywhere is a way of remote-controlling another computer, as opposed to VNC or Remote Desktop.

Your preferred solution MAY be, both VPN and pcAnywhere. Step 1 is to connect your VPN, then step 2 is to establish a pcAnywhere session through the VPN.