8800 Ultra Release, April... or maybe not?

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
This is getting stupid now

The rumour of a spoiler release from Nvidia suggests that it already knows that 8800 GTX will be beaten in the benchmarks by the top-end R600, which is why it is pushing out an even faster version. Given that not even the most demanding Vista games on the market today even come close to taxing an 8800 GTX, just how fast is fast enough?

Who needs an ULTRA :roll: and for What ?? where are the Games !!! What the heck is going on .

Anyway i am very happy with my 8800 gts . Runs everything or should i say everything runs away from it :lol:

Great purchase :D

Trunkz_Jr

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
I need an Ultra :p I'm sure your mainly saying that cause you already have a GTS tho hehe. I don't feel like getting the 8800GTX cause its been out of like HAlf a year or more now, I might as well spend the Extra $$$ and get something new and just ride of that for 2yrs or more. Someone told me in another post that theres no more Ultras and that its gonna be a 8900GTX, that true?

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Not as far as i know .

Secondly you can buy a 8800 ultra buy spending 600$ no problem i wont argue on the money aspect cause its yours and you can spend it as you like However,

You will need to be warned of the following

Heat issues , High end card lots of HEAT .

You will need a super High END psu to run that card .

You will need a good cabinet for good ventilation as well as space.

You will need a fairly fast Processor to get any real benefits .

To optimise your purchase you will or should buy a 24' or greater monitor

otherwise i will run games as fast as you in most cases 8O on some resolutions but still it shouldn't be compared cause i only pay half the money.

You will need stable drivers -which you wont get for a while :lol: like me specially if you run Vista , which you will need to For the DX10 games.

Right on the Games , *looks left right up down * Can't see them .

I love the English language , WHEN IF HOW beautiful :lol:

When crysis , If crysis can't, How am i going to run Crysis ,

You have to love the word Hypothetical - Its all hypothetical .

So keeping all those things in mind ...well :)

Also the 8800 gts thing , i bought cause it works out well for me that is the games i play resolution, And on most points i listed here . Also i am more than Happy :D . The Gtx and Ultra will be FASTER CARDS BUT NOT ON THE RESOLUTIONS I PLAY AND FOR THE MONEY I SPENT :D

AKJ

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
True, but for some people, its more about the bragging rights. They'll spend the extra cash just for the status regardless of whether they actually need that kind of power

baligavinod

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Not as far as i know .

Secondly you can buy a 8800 ultra buy spending 600$ no problem i wont argue on the money aspect cause its yours and you can spend it as you like However,

otherwise i will run games as fast as you in most cases 8O on some resolutions but still it shouldn't be compared cause i only pay half the money.

You will need stable drivers -which you wont get for a while :lol: like me specially if you run Vista , which you will need to For the DX10 games.

Also the 8800 gts thing , i bought cause it works out well for me that is the games i play resolution, And on most points i listed here . Also i am more than Happy :D . The Gtx and Ultra will be FASTER CARDS BUT NOT ON THE RESOLUTIONS I PLAY AND FOR THE MONEY I SPENT :D

agreed...500% true... ultra or 8900gtx...it ll be good only for ultra high resolutions, ultra fast processors and ultra powerful psu's...so for the time being GTS is the way to go as far as i am concerned...

Trunkz_Jr

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Not as far as i know .

agreed...500% true... ultra or 8900gtx...it ll be good only for ultra high resolutions, ultra fast processors and ultra powerful psu's...so for the time being GTS is the way to go as far as i am concerned...

I'm guessing you have a GTS lol

rosu9801

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Very simple if money isn't a factor when choosing a gfx card, the 8800gtx/Ultra > the 8800gts how ever you see it.
It was how ever a factor for me so i went with the 8800gts.

Saying not to buy the 8800gtx/Ultra cause there is no games that is bringing the 8800gts to its knees, is like... saying don't buy the 8800gts because the x1950xtx is all you need for current games, isn't it?

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
No the 8800 and the 1950 are based on different tech 8O

READ THIS :arrow: DX10 welcome to 2007 :lol:

The 8800 and 8800ultra etc are a different cup of tea in fact its a whole new beverage compared to the x1950xtx

Also a 8800 gts can be bought for around 300 dollars . A 1950xtx take a guess ..alright here just click this http://www.nextag.com/Graphics--a-VDC+Interface-_-PCI+Express--zzx1950xtxz300249zB6z5---html

They start from about 370$ to about 470$ , now you got to be retarded to even think about arguing on this line of thinking .

Got anything else :?: ALSO saying Money is not a factor is a OXYMORON

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Not as far as i know .

I'm guessing you have a GTS lol

A gts is not a slow card , i don't know how you have got this impression

but here see this comparison http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI4MSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Its a great card for the money , i am not taking this too seriously :lol:

I want you to compare your needs to what you would get :D performance wise out of your purchase .

Good luck either way :)

rosu9801

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

The 8800 and 8800ultra etc are a different cup of tea in fact its a whole new beverage compared to the x1950xtx

Also a 8800 gts can be bought for around 300 dollars . A 1950xtx take a guess ..alright here just click this http://www.nextag.com/Graphics--a-VDC+Interface-_-PCI+Express--zzx1950xtxz300249zB6z5---html

They start from about 370$ to about 470$ , now you got to be retarded to even think about arguing on this line of thinking .

Afaik the x1950xtx still does very well in all CURRENT games, so in your words where are the games that the x1950xtx/8800gtx/ultra can't play as well as the 8800gts?.

Am i wrong in saying some people don't care about price/performance and just go for the top of the line?
I even said in my post i had money as an factor thats why i went with the gts, but again some people dont mind paying for the latest and greatest or even pay loads for a less good card from another manufacturer.

What im saying is the reasons you posted for not getting the 8800gtx/Ultra is the same reason people shouldn't get the gts if they got a x1950xtx or less...
I thought you could buy whatever you wanted, whatever the reason and not be called a retard by someone so obviously bias about his own card...

Edit:
Oh yeah i was to lazy putting 8800 in there, did it now.
And yeah the xtx was a bad example cause it was so expensive most companies don't carry it anymore.
But still, price/performance isn't everything for everybody.
According to your own link the x1950xt is still a good card for current games.

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006

Afaik the x1950xtx still does very well in all CURRENT games, so in your words where are the games that the x1950xtx/8800gtx/ultra can't play as well as the 8800gts?.

Am i wrong in saying some people don't care about price/performance and just go for the top of the line?
I even said in my post i had money as an factor thats why i went with the gts, but again some people dont mind paying for the latest and greatest or even pay loads for a less good card from another manufacturer.

What im saying is the reasons you posted for not getting the 8800gtx/Ultra is the same reason people shouldn't get the gts if they got a x1950xtx or less...
I thought you could buy whatever you wanted, whatever the reason and not be called a retard by someone so obviously bias about his own card...

Edit:
Oh yeah i was to lazy putting 8800 in there, did it now.
And yeah the xtx was a bad example cause it was so expensive most companies don't carry it anymore.
But still, price/performance isn't everything for everybody.
According to your own link the x1950xt is still a good card for current games.

Read my 1st post in response to the OP and if you still think your response to my post is not lil off the target then :roll:

Your point that money / performance is not everything to everyone is taken :)

ALSO THIS post is not about NOT BUYING THE 8900 ULTRA its more about what all would be needed to COMPLIMENT THE CARD , see my post

Please read it carefully you have misunderstood 8O

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Not as far as i know .

My first Post 8O see what i am saying !!!!!!! :!:

rosu9801

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
This is getting stupid now

The rumour of a spoiler release from Nvidia suggests that it already knows that 8800 GTX will be beaten in the benchmarks by the top-end R600, which is why it is pushing out an even faster version. Given that not even the most demanding Vista games on the market today even come close to taxing an 8800 GTX, just how fast is fast enough?

Who needs an ULTRA :roll: and for What ?? where are the Games !!! What the heck is going on .

Anyway i am very happy with my 8800 gts . Runs everything or should i say everything runs away from it :lol:

Great purchase :D
Well i did read this first and then i lost my train of thought when replying to you, cause im at work atm.
What i interpreted was you saying who needs a faster card, theres no need cause there is no software that bottlenecks current cards.

I then made an opinion saying not getting the 8800gtx/ultra cause they are overkill atm, is like saying don't get the 8800gts cause the x1950xtx is enough atm for current games.
Can we agree on that x1950xt < x1950xtx < 8800gts < 8800gtx < ultra(probably)?
Even your own link tells me that the x1950xt is really good with current games.

ALSO THIS post is not about NOT BUYING THE 8900 ULTRA its more about what all would be needed to COMPLIMENT THE CARD , see my post

So i find it funny that many of the reasons for not getting the ultra also applies to your card if you got something less.
If you want a highend card you would probably need to get all those things even if its an 8800gts, that you recommended.

And since we both agree on that some don't care about price/performance, why is getting the ultra different from getting the gts?

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
a 8900 ULTRA OR 8800 GTX ETC HIGHEND CARD

it would need a 30 inch monitor which a 8800 gts 320mb would not need.

A 8900 ultra would need more than 30 amps on 500 watt

a 8800 gts needs a 450 watt with 26amps ...So many things

A 8800 Gtx Ultra would need a faster processor ...compared to a 8800 gts

Go to techreport.com they have a good article on this

A 8900 ultra 8800 gtx needs a bigger case as it is longer than the 8800

SEE THE DIFFERENCES IDIOT :twisted:

rosu9801

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Its funny i do know the difference but you still don't get it that if money doesn't matter why not get the latest and greatest?

All that and i didn't give you an insult...

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38527

So is it just gonna be an 8800GTX just overclocked and just burning with heat? I wanna get it but not if its not worth the money and espcially that the R600 comming out the next month even better and similar price.

whoa, some fellas here need decaf, seriously...,

I would advise folks to just stick with 8800GTX's as they are plentiful, fairly overclockable and offer great performance, now.

I have read reports, (again just reports) that yield numbers for the R600 are very low and initial release of the units will number in the tens of thousands which may sound like plenty but these numbers include the quantities that go to OEM builders worldwide. Once they take their cut, there won't be hardly any left for retail vendors at all. I wouldn't see quantities start to become great until the end of the year. Also low availability transfers into high cost not lower.

If you want to wait that long and have a computer system capable of high power wattage and CPU speed to feed the card than you are welcome to wait.

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Its funny i do know the difference but you still don't get it that if money doesn't matter why not get the latest and greatest?

All that and i didn't give you an insult...

YOU WILL NEVER GET IT , its not your fault just your IQ :twisted:

rosu9801

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Yes i do believe that card is gonna be "needed" by many that was clever enough to get the step-up program =)
Unfortunately i couldn't afford the eVGA 8800 320MB and i didn't wanna save money another month, hehe.

Edit:
Oh btw can you just use the step-up program once or again and again?
Like from the 320 to the 640 then the 89xx and so on?
Or is it from the 320 to the top of the line (or just the next step, the 640)?.

I have read reports, (again just reports) that yield numbers for the R600 are very low and initial release of the units will number in the tens of thousands which may sound like plenty but these numbers include the quantities that go to OEM builders worldwide. Once they take their cut, there won't be hardly any left for retail vendors at all. I wouldn't see quantities start to become great until the end of the year.

End of the year? Riiight ! :roll:
the 20-40,000 unit number is over half that of the GF8800 GTX/GTS launch, and even they took 6 months to sell half a million with no competition. The 80nm parts are being replaced by the 65nm parts, so it's unlikely that the rush is going to be as great initially knowing that the better part is around the corner (look at the X1800XL/XT launch). As for the OEMs, few of them will be making R600 rigs instead of RV6xx rigs, and of those only the big names from CyberPower, Dell/HP (with their Alien/Voodoo) to Falcon NW will be looking at OEM high-end R600 volumes. Most OEMs will be in the XLs and the mid to low range cards.

As for the GTXs, they are over-priced now, people should've bought them when they first came out. If they've waited this long for a new card waiting for the new cards from both nV and ATi makes sense. Unless there's some pressing game/app that needs it now. People who don't care about the price and want the best, should already have bought the GTX, and those looking for value should've already bought the GTS-320, anyone reaching this point, might as well wait for the 2 products to make an apperance before deciding whether the $500+ GTX is still worth it compared to the new competition from both AMD and nV.

The smart ones will do what HeyYou is doing and Step-up, or Sell and move to whichever platform is best for Pr0n, err... I mean.... games.

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I have a hangover, excuse any of my ignorance:

I have a 21" (Nobody makes 24' monitors :p where would you fit it? Your garage???) CRT with max res and i'm just posting to tell you all that there are some people that want and need that kind of power like me because since i have a max res monitor, i'll need all the power i can get, and secondly, if i have a card with that kind of power, i love turning on 16xAF and 4xAA for all games with max ingame settings. So yes, there is a need for that kind of power.

I'm borrowing a friend's 7800GS, and it stuggles on max settings in Hitman Blood Money. It might be just because i'm on a stupid Athlon XP +3000 but i'm absolutley sure it's graphic limited on my pc. I'm not so sure anyone will be able to push much AA/AF on any of the DX10 games, even with the GF8/R600 being as powerful as they will end up being.

Maybe two lower SLI cards would be best for that kind of thing but i'm the kind of person to stick with one high card for a long time. Once i can't play games past medium settings in games, i need a new card. It's awesome to have the kind of power that you can force extra AA/AF for your games once you have the latest card, but for those people who don't build their rigs every 6 months, all that extra power lets them keep more money in their pocket later on. I'm just the futureproof kinda person.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
End of the year? Riiight ! :roll:
the 20-40,000 unit number is over half that of the GF8800 GTX/GTS launch, and even they took 6 months to sell half a million with no competition. The 80nm parts are being replaced by the 65nm parts, so it's unlikely that the rush is going to be as great initially knowing that the better part is around the corner (look at the X1800XL/XT launch). As for the OEMs, few of them will be making R600 rigs instead of RV6xx rigs, and of those only the big names from CyberPower, Dell/HP (with their Alien/Voodoo) to Falcon NW will be looking at OEM high-end R600 volumes. Most OEMs will be in the XLs and the mid to low range cards.

well this is from Winmaclin Admin at the true beta forum I thought it would be interesting to consider actual preview witnesses:

"We saw some R600 cards at CeBIT but any form of photography is restricted as AMD is keeping a close watch making sure nothing is leaked outside. Nevertheless, we still managed to get some shots on the retail R600XTX (Radeon X2900 XTX) card. The frontal shot contains sensitive information so we can't show it here.

Just a recap of what we have told you before, R600XTX retail card is codenamed Dragonhead 2. It is a 12-layer card at 9.5" long with a max TDP of 240W. It is clocked at 800MHz on 80nm process technology, 512-bit memory interface and has 1GB GDDR4 memories onboard. It has 6-pin and 8-pin PCIe connectors but two 2x3 PCIe power can be used. Rumors surfaced over at CeBIT that the final product may be on 65nm if it can be produced in time with reasonable good yield. So far we have yet to get a confirmation that the first shipping R600 cards will be on 65nm but we can't rule out that there are experimental R600 chips at 65nm now. If our source is right, the yield at 65nm is poor at this point of time and expect a limited quantity of 20,000 pieces of R600XTX by middle of April.

Next, we got hold of some preliminary benchmarks figures of the R600 XTX card with core clock at 800MHz vs a GeForce 8800 GTX card. Using a Core 2 Extreme 2.93GHz processor on an Intel 975X board, the 3DMark06 score at 1600x1200 resolution is 97xx on the R600XTX compared to 95xx on the 8800GTX. Seems like R600XTX is running slightly faster than 8800GTX on the early release of drivers for R600. AMD is still working hard on the drivers and there are some more performance left to unlock. However, the DX10 benchmarking war between ATi and NVIDIA has not started yet. The targeted display driver version for launch in May is 8.361 or later (Catalyst 7.4 or 7.5)."

I rolled my eyes :roll: , at the meager 200 points spread and that wattage is ridiculous.